Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2021, 03:47 PM

8,226 posts, read 3,422,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Water View Post
Question: Do you really, in your mind and intellect, actually believe any of the above? The reason I ask is because it just isn't so. IMHO most "believers" play at or pretend to believe, but, in this day and age, don't truly believe much if any of it.

If they did, they wouldn't fight death so hard. They would quickly resign to, if not welcome it while singing "I'm off to see my maker, the wonderful maker of me" sung to the Wizard of Oz melody.

And when a fellow-believer dies "before his time" they wouldn't call it sad or a tragedy. They'd be jealous.
Do YOU really, in your mind and intellect, think YOU are smarter than God? The reason I ask is becaus it just ain't so.

When people fight death, it's because of the inborn survival instinct. It has nothing to do with faith or beliefs. And you must be aware that NOT everyone fights death. Many are ok with it. Especially if it's something you have thought about and tried to be ready for. Of course most people would rather shove it out of their minds, so when it comes along they aren't ready.

And furthermore, just because someone believes in God does NOT necessarily mean they think death will be easy. They might be afraid of hell or purgatory, for example. You atheists don't have to worry about any of that. I think one of the big motivators for atheism is you don't have to worry about hell or bad spirits, and all that stuff we believers might worry about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2021, 05:07 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,651,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Water View Post
And hence the term, Drinking the Kool-Aid!
And hence the note that only the nastiest, miserable, most condescending, and bereft of couth would use that term toward people they disagree with.
Where I am...there are many, if you said that to them, the next thing you would say is, "Hello...I need to see Dr. Dentist right away for an emergency".
I'm not sanctioning that kinda thing...I just know how things go down in this world when you mock and revile strangers for no legitimate reason.
Which is why people say that on the internet...to avoid paying that price for their insolence.

Old 07-10-2021, 11:44 PM

2,400 posts, read 783,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
And hence the note that only the nastiest, miserable, most condescending, and bereft of couth would use that term toward people they disagree with.
Where I am...there are many, if you said that to them, the next thing you would say is, "Hello...I need to see Dr. Dentist right away for an emergency".
I'm not sanctioning that kinda thing...I just know how things go down in this world when you mock and revile strangers for no legitimate reason.
Which is why people say that on the internet...to avoid paying that price for their insolence.
Such ignorance. Look that term up.

Old 07-10-2021, 11:49 PM

2,400 posts, read 783,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Do YOU really, in your mind and intellect, think YOU are smarter than God? The reason I ask is becaus it just ain't so.

When people fight death, it's because of the inborn survival instinct. It has nothing to do with faith or beliefs. And you must be aware that NOT everyone fights death. Many are ok with it. Especially if it's something you have thought about and tried to be ready for. Of course most people would rather shove it out of their minds, so when it comes along they aren't ready.

And furthermore, just because someone believes in God does NOT necessarily mean they think death will be easy. They might be afraid of hell or purgatory, for example. You atheists don't have to worry about any of that. I think one of the big motivators for atheism is you don't have to worry about hell or bad spirits, and all that stuff we believers might worry about.
I AM smarter than god because I exist the he doesn't.

Also, I know enough not to play games with my children's future that do horribley wrong and then blame THEM instead of myself. Apparently, your god doesn't.

Old 07-11-2021, 12:14 AM

16,779 posts, read 4,982,520 times
Quote:
Kool aid, no. Calling people liars when they are not, yes. If you played your game in a bar and I discussed in a bar as I normally do here, I am not the one who would be involved in a fight. You attack us for what you are doing, and I think you get a kick out of this.

Quote:
Yes, but we do have legitimate reason.

Quote:
Yes, you have double standards.

Old 07-11-2021, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Kool aid, no. Calling people liars when they are not, yes. If you played your game in a bar and I discussed in a bar as I normally do here, I am not the one who would be involved in a fight. You attack us for what you are doing, and I think you get a kick out of this.
Yes, but we do have legitimate reason.

Yes, you have double standards.
Look, I'm sorry that you all are so sensitive and easily triggered that you would actually get on the internet and bash, interrogate, and mock Theist strangers for holding a differing view from yours...and keep it up, for YEARS.
That is what I call out. Don't be so disrespectful and dishonest, and it wouldn't be there to be pointed out.
I have said many, many times, I find it so uniquely strange, it's entertaining to me...and you don't have to "think" that's true. It is.
Maybe if you submitted yourself to God's will...you'd be more tolerant and contented. Hey...what do you have to lose?

Old 07-11-2021, 06:23 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
Look, I'm sorry that you all are so sensitive and easily triggered that you would actually get on the internet and bash, interrogate, and mock Theist strangers for holding a differing view from yours...and keep it up, for YEARS.
That is what I call out. Don't be so disrespectful and dishonest, and it wouldn't be there to be pointed out.
I have said many, many times, I find it so uniquely strange, it's entertaining to me...and you don't have to "think" that's true. It is.
Maybe if you submitted yourself to God's will...you'd be more tolerant and contented. Hey...what do you have to lose?
that right gld. We are not challenging people that questions beliefs. I mean we all should be doing that. We are challenging the methods deployed here in challenging beliefs.

Example: We are talking about beliefs.

So a reasonable base to talk about belief is "we are not the top of the reality stack." Then we proceed.

Calling that strawmwanning and avoiding evaluating the/a belief based on "that's not why I am here" and "that doesn't get us anywhere" is what we are challenging head on.

Also when people respond to "all we are saying is that we do not believe that we are the top of the reality stack" with we are delusional, weak minded, needy, evil people that cause the evil in the world, we simple say ... "you have been triggered my man, why is that?" And we see old beaten dead horse of "My bother was bombed". "I had a mean ol' grandma and autie", "My dad and wife were religious nut cases", "mommy and daddy abused me", "America is affecting my country and its a religious country" ... on and on ... over and over and over again. blame blame blame ...

That is all fine. They are true and valid points. Until those events start to deny a simple claim like "we are not the top of the reality stack." Thats what we aare (double "a" are) standing up to. And we will not back down.

and of course, if we say anything good about "believing" (or even worse question other atheists belief) we are not to be trusted members of the army. We say, well lets look at this in detail. And they respond with you are bigots', racist, and not true "free thinkers". thats what we are challenging, that type of thinking.

Last edited by Arach Angle; 07-11-2021 at 07:04 AM..

Old 07-11-2021, 06:51 AM

Default ^the above is not happening

Quote:
Your support of religious bigotry adds nothing to the conversation.

Old 07-11-2021, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Your support of religious bigotry adds nothing to the conversation.
YOU are the one bigoted...against Religion/Theism and those (80 to 90% of the world) who embrace those concepts.
When you get hip to that...you may know what the real deal is.
I understand that you watch the vast majority of the world able to perceive God, while you lack that common ability.
It's most unfortunate, and I understand how being afflicted with such a deficiency could make you feel...but it is not the fault of any of the Theists, here or anywhere else.
You will just need to shore up your coping abilities so you can deal with it better.

Old 07-11-2021, 08:16 AM

Quote:
YOU are the one bigoted...against Religion/Theism and those (80 to 90% of the world) who embrace those concepts.
When you get hip to that...you may know what the real deal is.
I understand that you watch the vast majority of the world able to perceive God, while you lack that common ability.
It's most unfortunate, and I understand how being afflicted with such a deficiency could make you feel...but it is not the fault of any of the Theists, here or anywhere else.
You will just need to shore up your coping abilities so you can deal with it better.
Please stop quoting me and then posting irrelevant junk (unless it is cake recipes). I like cake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality