Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2021, 01:57 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,653,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by em3ry View Post
The fundamental principle of civilized laws is that all people have equal rights. Including the right to have a say in what laws are passed.
That is a "fundamental principle" that is not achievable.
And since you will never get all to agree, or full consensus in a group of any size...how can everyone be treated "equally" as regards preferences for what the laws should be?
And what about those that cannot speak on their own behalf...like children, elderly, impaired, etc?
What is the best basis for a moral code or laws?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2021, 02:04 PM

16,677 posts, read 15,680,560 times
Apparently, somebody forgot to check things out before speaking. I didn't know this, but there are a number of atheist charities.

https://seculardirectory.org/charities/
https://www.coyotecommunications.com...atheists.shtml

Atheists Helping the Homeless
Atheist Refugee Relief
Foundation Beyond Relief
Nonbelief Relief
The Stiefel Freethought Foundation
Children International
Secular Service Club

and probably a lot more.

Old 05-29-2021, 02:06 PM

75 posts, read 37,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
That is a "fundamental principle" that is not achievable.
And since you will never get all to agree, or full consensus in a group of any size...how can everyone be treated "equally" as regards preferences for what the laws should be?
And what about those that cannot speak on their own behalf...like children, elderly, impaired, etc?
What is the best basis for a moral code or laws?
If you can't agree then you compromise. Either that or you choose to live apart so each can live by its own laws. Nobody receives special treatment. Everyone has equal rights.

Old 05-29-2021, 03:39 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Apparently, somebody forgot to check things out before speaking. I didn't know this, but there are a number of atheist charities.

Atheist Refugee Relief
Foundation Beyond Relief
Nonbelief Relief
Children International
Secular Service Club

and probably a lot more.
statement of belief about god charities ...

just one more thing that makes it religion-looking.

reminds me of a poster I saw once. A donkey in a prom dress saying "I aint no jack*&#, I'ma queen"

It has a point ...

Old 05-29-2021, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post

Atheist Refugee Relief
Foundation Beyond Relief
Nonbelief Relief
Children International
Secular Service Club

and probably a lot more.
Atheism is finally assuming their obvious role as a Religion!
Kinda like the Atheist Church services they have now.
Those that give to those charities probably say The Atheist Creed beforehand:

An Atheist's Creed

I believe in a purely material universe that conforms to naturalistic laws and principles.

I believe that the life we have is the only one we will have, that the mind and consciousness are inseparable from the brain, that we cease to exist in any conscious form when we die, and that it is therefore incumbent on us to enable each person to live their one life to the fullest.

I believe in the power of science and reason and rationality to further deepen our understanding of everything around us and to eventually overcome superstition and erase the petty divisions sown by religion, race, ethnicity, and nationality.

I am in awe of the beauty, vastness, and complexity of nature and the universe, and the fact that all arose purely by the working of natural laws.

I believe in the power of ideals such as peace and justice and shared humanity to inspire us to create a free and just world.

I believe in kindness, love, and the human spirit and their ability to overcome challenges and adversity and to create a better world.

I believe in the necessity for credible and objective evidence to sustain any belief and thus deny, because of the absence of such evidence, the existence of each and every aspect of the supernatural.

I refuse to bow, prostrate myself, or otherwise cower before the deities of any religion.

I am neither tempted by the fiction of heaven or any other form of eternal life nor fearful of the fiction of hell.

I choose to live the dignified and exhilarating life of a free-thinker, able to go wherever knowledge and curiosity takes me, without fear of contradicting any dogma.

The power of NOGODAH compels you!
That's great!

Old 05-29-2021, 04:33 PM

Quote:
If you can't agree then you compromise. Either that or you choose to live apart so each can live by its own laws. Nobody receives special treatment. Everyone has equal rights.
Yes, I see.
That has always worked so well throughout human history.
I wonder why there's so much turmoil? Could it be that the concept of, "Compromise or get off to yourselves so there is peace", is almost impossible to implement in Reality?

Old 05-29-2021, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Yes, I see.
That has always worked so well throughout human history.
I wonder why there's so much turmoil? Could it be that the concept of, "Compromise or get off to yourselves so there is peace", is almost impossible to implement in Reality?
we also aren't bashing each other over the head with clubs or dragging women around by their hair anymore

it isnt implemented because we aren't yet fully civilized. The solution is to become more and more civilized.

Last edited by em3ry; 05-29-2021 at 05:03 PM..

Old 05-29-2021, 05:02 PM

Quote:
we also aren't bashing each other over the head with clubs or dragging women around by their hair anymore

it is an implemented because we aren't yet fully civilized. The solution is to become more and more civilized.
I fully agree.
We must become more civilized.
They founded a Religion off that philosophy: "Love Each Other".

Old 05-29-2021, 05:04 PM

Quote:
I fully agree.
Selfishness is fine as long as its rational and civilized

Old 05-30-2021, 02:58 AM

16,782 posts, read 4,986,375 times
Quote:
I fully agree.
Treat others as you want to be treated, that is, equality for all. Which according to you is not possible.

And that religions was founded on love each other as long as they are in the club, and in the correct version of that club.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality