Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2021, 10:14 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,814,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
So you have no answer. Just admit it.
I've provided multiple answers to the OP.

Old 11-09-2021, 10:15 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,725,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Well stated.

To me, prayer is a substitute for doing what needs to be done. It's up to us.
Thank you.

In the time I served as an Executive Coach and online education (both of which involved dealing with very religious people), I experienced many a person and/or challenge having to do with their trust in God. Their very strong belief and confidence all would work out one way or another thanks to their belief in God. "God's grace." Unfortunately, I had far too many people who rather than do as you note, what's needed, they somehow thought they could do otherwise and all would turn out okay.

Then maybe things would turn out okay, but not as well as they could have. Fine if that's all one wants to get out of their efforts or lack of their efforts. Another personal matter. Then too, very unfortunately, people would essentially wash themselves out of achieving their goals, simply because they put too much faith in God. What I could observe objectively speaking, they are simply never able or wanting to recognize.

Most of these people have that "heads I win, tails you lose" coin in their pocket at all times...

Old 11-09-2021, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You contradict yourself. You claim to be a fan of the TRUTH. One of the inexorable features of the TRUTH is that it is always the same and can become trite and subject to your complaint about hearing it over and over and over again!
Really Mystic?

Despite all my comments with respect to our obvious difference of opinions and perspective and reasons for them, you really want to just dance in this same circle over and over again? Sorry. Not me.

Thanks again for that nudge you so often give me to move on to more worthwhile use of my time.

Old 11-09-2021, 10:24 AM

63,817 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Really Mystic?

Despite all my comments with respect to our obvious difference of opinions and perspective and reasons for them, you really want to just dance in this same circle over and over again? Sorry. Not me.

Thanks again for that nudge you so often give me to move on to more worthwhile use of my time.
The one dancing and dodging and prancing around complaiming about posts in a self-righteous delusion about what is TRUTH is you, LearnMe.

Old 11-09-2021, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The one dancing and dodging and prancing around complaiming about posts in a self-righteous delusion about what is TRUTH is you, LearnMe.
The one dancing and dodging and prancing around complaining about posts in a self-righteous delusion about what is TRUTH is you, Mystic.

There! That's my last step to this tango you enjoy so much. Perhaps we can point fingers at one another again tomorrow. Until then, here's to cutting the rug! WITH SOMEONE ELSE PLEASE...

Old 11-09-2021, 10:51 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Again semantics, but okay. Maybe I should have made clear what I mean by owning the home. The person who lives there. How's that?

All that aside, I think regardless the circumstances, we should all have the respect of others not to impose our ways on others when those circumstances are not about our personal ways or beliefs. Take that to your church if you wish, and of course do what you like in your own home, but I don't extol the virtues of being an atheist unless that's the subject all present want to hear and consider.

This forum is another matter altogether of course...

Not to see how one imposes on others in these regards and others is what I consider an ongoing human failing generally speaking. People just can't "stay in their lane." Not just having to do with expressing religious beliefs and promoting religious rituals. Reminds me of a good friend who doesn't watch sports anymore, because some athletes like to use their platform to protest one thing or another. About this too, I'm not "obsessed" or put out to the point of not watching sports, but who can't appreciate what it is to impose on others when it comes to using time or space that is not about whatever anyone wants to share with others for whatever their personal reasons?,

Let me make this clear, since we're talking about semantics (and I'm glad we clearly agree on the whole home ownership vs. who lives there thing):

You can have all the opinions you want about how others live their lives, what they say when, etc. but the bottom line is that you are only responsible for your actions, not theirs. That's why I have said repeatedly "If they're not actually hurting anyone, you should consider just staying silent." Now, this doesn't mean that you have to put up with inappropriate behavior everywhere from anyone. For starters I already said that if you're not in their house or whatever, you can choose to say something. But my point is that honestly, I can choose or not choose to make some sort of statement if someone says or does something at, say, a restaurant, and I typically just don't say anything, because 1) they aren't able to force me to say a prayer of their choosing, and 2) generally I don't want to make a scene, even if they choose to do so.

The people who love me know me. Oh and regardless of the setting, if a prayer is said, I make the sign of the cross. Been doing it for many years and no one has ever said anything - they may not like it but they don't say anything to me so there's that.

People don't have the power to force me to pray, anywhere.

Old 11-09-2021, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Ugh, ugh, ugh...

It bothers me when people take liberties they really shouldn't. Period. In all the many circumstances when someone thinks it's okay but really is not. In their own home is one thing. In all these other circumstances I'm referring to is another matter. I also don't need advice about what to do when dealing with people like this. I've done plenty fine okay so far and managed to stay close to many of the people who, like you, are not sensitive about these liberties I'm referring to here.

My advice to you is to be more sensitive about when, where and how people insist on prayer when it's really NOT appropriate far as everyone else is concerned. Believe it or not, there are too many of those times and too many of those people.
I don't need your advice because personally I don't insist on praying anywhere but in my own home - occasionally like maybe Thanksgiving dinner - in which case, a person is never forced to pray with me anyway.

You keep saying "ugh, ugh, ugh" so if you don't want to read my responses or respond to them, just don't - no skin off my nose.

Old 11-09-2021, 10:55 AM

Quote:
I wasn't "triggered" before, as I explained and you surely read, but now I'm starting to feel a tad annoyed. The closed mind is a difficult thing to contend with and another human trait that forever poses a problem for others. Call me triggered for thinking so and expressing that opinion too. The truth is the truth no matter.
I didn't call you "triggered." For the record. However, if the shoe fits...you know...

I also don't have a closed mind - far from it. But I don't mind discussing this, on, you know, a discussion board.

Old 11-09-2021, 10:56 AM

Quote:
You got this right anyway! The "we aren't" part...
Thanks?

Anyway, yeah I know - we aren't perfect. You aren't, I'm not, no one is.

Old 11-09-2021, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Seems like someone else is now feeling triggered...
Not in particular, no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality