Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2021, 02:15 PM

11,067 posts, read 6,887,781 times

Advertisements

The atheists on this thread.

Old 11-11-2021, 02:25 PM

10,531 posts, read 6,167,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Your question is really for a thread of its own, but depends what you mean by 'headway'.

Personally I have learned an absolute ton about how other people think. I have learned to not make any assumptions about what people believe. And that what people believe is as varied as people that live on the planet.
I hope my presence here helps believers to understand non believers as well.

Old 11-11-2021, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Your question is really for a thread of its own, but depends what you mean by 'headway'.

Personally I have learned an absolute ton about how other people think. I have learned to not make any assumptions about what people believe. And that what people believe is as varied as people that live on the planet.
I hope my presence here helps believers to understand non believers as well.
That's really great. I feel the same way. Some people on here and in other threads have brought up really good points and food for thought. For me I've always believe in God, whatever God means to me. Others have always not believed in God. It's good that we can dialogue and at least try to understand each other. I don't understand how someone could not believe in God, just as an atheist can't understand why I do!

Old 11-11-2021, 03:02 PM

895 posts, read 475,811 times
Quote:
That's really great. I feel the same way. Some people on here and in other threads have brought up really good points and food for thought. For me I've always believe in God, whatever God means to me. Others have always not believed in God. It's good that we can dialogue and at least try to understand each other. I don't understand how someone could not believe in God, just as an atheist can't understand why I do!
Many of us former believers, do in fact understand how you can believe in god and at least one former atheist here (MysticPhD) understands the reciprocal. And I agree that it's a great place to exchange ideas. And I've picked up about 6 new vocabulary words in the last 2 weeks.

Old 11-11-2021, 03:18 PM

1,250 posts, read 679,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
God isn't a vending machine. Most Christians I know don't pray to God to "get what they want."
Like many people, I pray for my family's protection, guidance, and healing. That's what I want, and that's what I ask "God" for . . . I disagree that people don't pray for basic safety and good things for themselves and their families.

My point was that I am petitioning "god" to do my bidding (i.e., provide safety to my family). The question was why would I, a mere mortal, be telling "god" what to do, and if "he" did my bidding (answered my prayer) what would be "his" motive?

Old 11-11-2021, 04:15 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingandwondering View Post
Like many people, I pray for my family's protection, guidance, and healing. That's what I want, and that's what I ask "God" for . . . I disagree that people don't pray for basic safety and good things for themselves and their families.

My point was that I am petitioning "god" to do my bidding (i.e., provide safety to my family). The question was why would I, a mere mortal, be telling "god" what to do, and if "he" did my bidding (answered my prayer) what would be "his" motive?
Are you a parent? If your children asked you for something like that what would be your motive for trying to provide it?

Old 11-11-2021, 04:19 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Curious: Do you ever feel like you make any headway when you debate a religious person?
Nope. That's why I don't do much debating - in general but especially when it comes to the topic of religion. (I'm including atheists, agnostics, pagans, Christians, you name it in the bunch.)

Old 11-11-2021, 04:24 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingandwondering View Post

Interesting.

I don't pray for my family's protection, guidance and healing. I mean, I may WANT those things and I may tell God what I WANT but I also ask God for the grace to accept His will in my life. Because you see, I believe that we live in a fallen world, and that world includes tragedies, death, illness, etc. Those things may well happen to me or to my loved ones.

The question was "Why bother praying?" and I described why I pray - which apparently differs in some ways from why you pray, or why some others pray (I wouldn't say that MOST people pray for basic safety and good things for themselves and their families but sure - some people do I guess, just not the people I hang out with).

My favorite prayer of all is simply a vision, not words - it's envisioning laying my family members, loved ones, children, grandkids, even my DOGS in Jesus' lap. No one loves them as much as Jesus loves them in my belief system. He will do a better job with them than I can ever imagine. He has the perfect plan for our lives - that's what I believe.

Old 11-11-2021, 04:28 PM

50,823 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
What do you mean by "make headway"?

Old 11-11-2021, 04:32 PM

Convince.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality