Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2021, 02:24 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingandwondering View Post
If you ever become a drug addict or alcoholic who then wants recovery, you will be waaaaaayyyy ahead of the game. Most people cannot "turn it over" - or "surrender to a higher power." They say "Thy will, not my will."

Usually the ego gets all up in a person's business.

Acceptance is the way to go.
Thank you.

I've had some blows in my lifetime. I learned a long time ago that life is going to happen and bring us pain sometimes and so I figured I may as well ask for the wisdom or grace or strength or whatever you want to call it to be able to bear it.

Old 11-12-2021, 02:24 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,793,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
It won't do any good.

Now, if some answer that they praise their god that way, I might accept that, but one usually hears prayers being asked for that are to change an outcome.

Yes, people do pray for a desired outcome, like Jesus did. "May this cup pass from me, but may your will be done"

He didn't want to die, but knew he had to, to open the way. Notice the passages below:

1. John 9:31 - "We know that God does not listen to sinners. He listens to the godly person who does his will."

2. 1 Peter 3:12 - "For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous and his ears are attentive to their prayer, but the face of the Lord is against those who do evil."

3. 1 John 5:15 - "And if we know that he hears us—whatever we ask—we know that we have what we asked of him."

4. Jeremiah 29:12-13; "Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart."

5. Psalm 66:17-20 - "I cried out to him with my mouth; his praise was on my tongue. If I had cherished sin in my heart, the Lord would not have listened; but God has surely listened and has heard my prayer. Praise be to God, who has not rejected my prayer or withheld his love from me!"

Every one speaks of "Following God's will" this means not to pray vainly (wanting great riches, power and rewards) but to simply follow, do what he wants.

Don't pray and then get up and slap your kids, kick the dog, curse your neighbor or coworkers or family. You're then being a hypocrite.

The person who has what they have and are happy, need not pray for anything, but praise God for everything.

But the key also is, to pray as a righteous person should. Pell did a study, using the bible as reference and stated that of all religions, only 3-4% are saved.

Which does fall into line with what Jesus said of the "Narrow door" it's a matter of how you approach the world and it's troubles. Like a duck, let the troubles roll off, they're brief like your life.

Old 11-12-2021, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The Comforter sent in Christ's name exists within our consciousness to aid us in achieving the spiritual fortitude to overcome and endure whatever we must face.
I just need some help tapping into that sometimes.

Old 11-12-2021, 03:20 PM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I just need some help tapping into that sometimes.
From what you have said about your general attitude toward life, I suspect you are more frequently in His presence than most. You can be assured He is present with you whenever you are in one or more of the following non-judgmental states of mind:

Kindness, mercy, compassion, gentleness, unconditional acceptance, empathy, sympathy, tolerance, long-suffering, decency, friendliness, peacefulness, joyfulness, understanding, care, concern, solicitude, solicitousness, sensitivity, tender-heartedness, soft-heartedness, warm-heartedness, warmth, love, brotherly love, tenderness, gentleness, mercifulness, leniency, lenience, consideration, kindness, humanity, humaneness, kind-heartedness, charity, and benevolence.

In other states of mind, especially any OPPOSITE states of mind, will make detecting and being in His presence more difficult if not impossible. I hope that helps you.

Old 11-12-2021, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
From what you have said about your general attitude toward life, I suspect you are more frequently in His presence than most. You can be assured He is present with you whenever you are in one or more of the following non-judgmental states of mind:

Kindness, mercy, compassion, gentleness, unconditional acceptance, empathy, sympathy, tolerance, long-suffering, decency, friendliness, peacefulness, joyfulness, understanding, care, concern, solicitude, solicitousness, sensitivity, tender-heartedness, soft-heartedness, warm-heartedness, warmth, love, brotherly love, tenderness, gentleness, mercifulness, leniency, lenience, consideration, kindness, humanity, humaneness, kind-heartedness, charity, and benevolence.

In other states of mind, especially any OPPOSITE states of mind, will make detecting and being in His presence more difficult if not impossible. I hope that helps you.

It does and thank you.

I'm just a kid when it comes to God and His grace. I mean, when my husband died - wow, that really threw me for a loop. Also, when my dad died and I "inherited" my mom from him - what a blow that was. Double whammy there. But my darling husband's death - wow, that was horrible. I am still recovering from it over a year later (though I am recovering). Not to mention breaking my dominant elbow - wow, that was a bad experience, and it happened just a few weeks after my husband died (it was the best thing that's ever happened to me, but we can discuss that later if anyone is interested). I am glad that I learned the hard lessons about grace and human suffering and all that prior to these past few trials because I think I have been able to weather them only because of those earlier lessons. I kept thinking "You know what - I don't want to have to learn these lessons over again, so I better apply what I already know!"

I have so much still to learn, but God is patient with me.

Old 11-12-2021, 07:10 PM

10,535 posts, read 6,172,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
You can call it strength or wisdom or grace - whatever you like - the ability to accept God's will. God promises that if we ask for wisdom or grace for instance, He will provide it. So I ask.
Doesn't wisdom and grace and strength come from yourself though?

I mean, if you didn't pray, wouldn't you have exactly the same wisdom and grace and strength?

I haven't attempted to pray for well over 40 years. It just wouldn't occur to me.
I'm an atheist of course, so of course I wouldn't pray.

But then they say you shouldn't ask god for anything.
If there's one person that's definitely not asking god for anything around here, it's me LOL. So if praying is not asking for anything, I get a gold star.

I don't have anything against praying. It's kind of like wishing people well I suppose. No harm in that.

I'm curious though, for those of you who do pray, what do you think about those of us that don't?

Old 11-12-2021, 07:12 PM

22,233 posts, read 19,245,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
I mean, if you didn't pray, wouldn't you have exactly the same wisdom and grace and strength?

I haven't attempted to pray for well over 40 years. It just wouldn't occur to me.
If there's one person that's definitely not asking god for anything around here, it's me LOL. So if praying is not asking for anything, I get a gold star. I don't have anything against praying. It's kind of like wishing people well I suppose. No harm in that. I'm curious though, for those of you who do pray, what do you think about those of us that don't?
bold above
no

Old 11-12-2021, 07:15 PM

22,233 posts, read 19,245,773 times
Quote:
Doesn't wisdom and grace and strength come from yourself though?I mean, if you didn't pray, wouldn't you have exactly the same wisdom and grace and strength? I haven't attempted to pray for well over 40 years. It just wouldn't occur to me. I'm an atheist of course, so of course I wouldn't pray. But then they say you shouldn't ask god for anything. If there's one person that's definitely not asking god for anything around here, it's me LOL. So if praying is not asking for anything, I get a gold star. I don't have anything against praying. It's kind of like wishing people well I suppose. No harm in that. I'm curious though, for those of you who do pray, what do you think about those of us that don't?
i don't.

prayers extended for all of humanity (for instance for peace, well being, blessings, safety, etc) include everyone.
basically whatever i pray for myself, i pray for everyone.

that is one of the most powerful prayers there is, to extend prayers for myself to include everyone including yes those who have done me harm.

i remember when i was living in the Southwest in the heart of the Pueblo nations how stunned someone was when they found out that the indigenous do this. prayers for rain, food, blessings not just for their own families, their own people, but for all people all nations. every single prayer.

Old 11-12-2021, 07:34 PM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:

If there's one person that's definitely not asking god for anything around here, it's me LOL. So if praying is not asking for anything, I get a gold star.

I don't have anything against praying. It's kind of like wishing people well I suppose. No harm in that.

I'm curious though, for those of you who do pray, what do you think about those of us that don't?
I believe that those who do not pray are missing out on the Comfort and Counsel of God's Holy Spirit of agape love that Jesus died to make available to us. Of course, if you do not believe any of that, you would hardly be receptive to it anyway. If I hadn't encountered it, I certainly would not believe it existed.

Old 11-12-2021, 07:40 PM

10,535 posts, read 6,172,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
bold above
no
Why not?

How would you know the difference?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality