Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2022, 11:46 AM

50,838 posts, read 24,347,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justus978 View Post
...snark aside, that's your question?....of course they did, you obviously have never been 'schooled' by a Jesuit or you would know that answer...
No, that's not snark. If you are developing the skill of critical thinking, then critical thinking should be able to address all beliefs. I have a hard time believing that a catholic teaching critical thinking in a catholic institution would encourage critical thinking about the catholic religion. After all, when I was a catholic we were being told who we were allowed to vote for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2022, 11:50 AM

63,819 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
...snark aside, that's your question?....of course they did, you obviously have never been 'schooled' by a Jesuit or you would know that answer...

Old 01-08-2022, 11:53 AM

15,975 posts, read 7,036,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
My "process" is to first understand that those that hold differing views, opinions, and preferences as to how things should be, are not "embracing falsehood".
Second ...I understand that there is ultimately no such thing as Absolute Objective Truth...as nothing is infallible.
Very little that actually matters can be placed so high on The Scale of Probability that everything rests upon, to be determined As Surely True As Can Be.
For 99.999% of human history we had very little of this knowledge...and we survived. Without all the environment wrecking & climate changing we now have. And THAT'S the truth.
As we can see...this thread is very much a political statement, with stuff like, "How important it truly is to separate the facts from the nonsense, or we end up with people believing, pursuing and insisting on a dangerous battle with windmills that affects all of us. Brings us all down."
BTW...electricity generating windmills do produce EMFs that have been found to cause cancer. And then posting pictures of the water-pump windmills in The Netherlands, with a caption under them "Causes Cancer", is what's indicative of "nonsense to pursue a misguided agenda".
Your bias & hate toward others that have differing Beliefs & preferences from you is showing again.
Great post. Almost forgot about that.

Old 01-08-2022, 11:59 AM

2,974 posts, read 1,985,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
No, that's not snark. If you are developing the skill of critical thinking, then critical thinking should be able to address all beliefs. I have a hard time believing that a catholic teaching critical thinking in a catholic institution would encourage critical thinking about the catholic religion. After all, when I was a catholic we were being told who we were allowed to vote for.
..., "you have a hard time believing...", so what??...proves nothing...

...like i said, you obvious know little of the Jesuits, what they are and who their allegiance is to...you have an axe to grind with the catholics, okay...i'm a 'recovering catholic as well but i'm way, way past throwing stones at others who are on a different path...have a great day...

Old 01-08-2022, 12:01 PM

63,819 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You really do not understand the Jesuits, Phet. They are not your run-of-the-mill Catholics.

Old 01-08-2022, 01:08 PM

50,838 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You really do not understand the Jesuits, Phet. They are not your run-of-the-mill Catholics.
Did I ever say I was very knowledgeable about the Jesuits? Could you show me that post?

I asked a simple question.

Old 01-08-2022, 02:06 PM

269 posts, read 329,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
My "process" is to first understand that those that hold differing views, opinions, and preferences as to how things should be, are not "embracing falsehood".
But.... they very well could be "embracing falsehood."

Old 01-08-2022, 02:37 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,655,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heron31 View Post
But.... they very well could be "embracing falsehood."
Even what is at any given time touted as "Scientifically Verified Truth" that people know as "facts", can turn out to be "embracing falsehood".
The OP notes even Political views.
And most of that is simply preferences as to how one would like things to be...and not "hard truth or falsehood". Most policy concepts...domestic, foreign, social, military, economic, etc...are not even "true---false" type things.
Being very familiar with the Members' posts and position...it was mostly just a way to further criticize those that embrace Abrahamic Religion and the Theologies themselves...and other views they don't agree with.

Old 01-08-2022, 03:24 PM

182 posts, read 120,172 times
Quote:
...critical thinking... grammar, rhetoric and logic, also taught as 'the trivium' is no longer taught at any level in school now....it's a tool to identify dialectic from rhetoric, it's basically your own bullchit meter...i spent four years in a jesuit run, catholic, all boys high school in the late 60's...this way of teaching, being able to identify rhetoric from dialectic was woven into every subject taught...

...most of what you see in the 'media', be it mainstream or otherwise, is rhetoric, hyperbole and word spells and would be mostly dismissed and laughed at hysterically by a populace of savvy consumers....
Is your citing of the importance of grammar in a post that is a grammatical train wreck supposed to be ironic?

Old 01-08-2022, 03:29 PM

15,975 posts, read 7,036,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kohilus View Post
is your citing of the importance of grammar in a post that is a grammatical train wreck supposed to be ironic?
:d:d
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality