Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2022, 09:37 PM

50,840 posts, read 24,347,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
I don't need to "think about it". I spelled it out in detail off-hand. It's basic reality.
How is that "stirring things up"? And what would calling someone "Jim Crow" be...putting forth sweetness & light?
The issue is your beyond-the-pale insults falsely ascribing negative attitudes and volition to me. For no good reason...other than to satisfy your obvious desire to be rotten & hateful. Like I said...it is a window into your frame of self-reference.
Sorry. I can't help you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2022, 10:09 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,655,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
It's beyond me.
People will take an anti-parasite medicine meant for horses because they've been told it will prevent covid, but they won't take a vaccine actually designed to fight covid.
I used to be a great optimist about humanity. I believe I wrote posts about my optimism on here. The last 5 years have put paid to all of that. The stupidity of people is breathtaking.
If the assessment is what people do healthwise...people must be very upset about those that use tobacco, drink booze, eat fast food, or consume so many excess calories they are overweight, etc, etc.
I wonder what the body-count is from taking the animal formulation of Ivermectin (the human version is the exact same active ingredient)...compared to smoking (480,000 deaths per year, 40,000 of them by 2nd hand smoke, mostly children)...alcohol (95,000 deaths per year)...obesity (300,000 deaths per year)?
How "breathtakingly stupid" are smokers, drinkers, and fat people? Where are all the those up-in-arms about them, and the Government stepping in with legal proscriptions and restrictions? Oh, wait...they closed the gyms, but the smoke shops, liquor stores, and fast food joints were deemed "essential businesses" and stayed open.
Kinda makes you wonder what segment of the Nation, the citizens or Government Officials, are the most "breathtakingly stupid"?

Old 01-08-2022, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Sorry. I can't help you.
I don't need help...it's your attitude and quality of character that needs the help.
Calling someone "Jim Crow". What makes people like you tick?

Old 01-08-2022, 10:24 PM

10,535 posts, read 6,169,672 times
Quote:
If the assessment is what people do healthwise...people must be very upset about those that use tobacco, drink booze, eat fast food, or consume so many excess calories they are overweight, etc, etc.
I wonder what the body-count is from taking the animal formulation of Ivermectin (the human version is the exact same active ingredient)...compared to smoking (480,000 deaths per year, 40,000 of them by 2nd hand smoke, mostly children)...alcohol (95,000 deaths per year)...obesity (300,000 deaths per year)?
How "breathtakingly stupid" are smokers, drinkers, and fat people? Where are all the those up-in-arms about them, and the Government stepping in with legal proscriptions and restrictions? Oh, wait...they closed the gyms, but the smoke shops, liquor stores, and fast food joints were deemed "essential businesses" and stayed open.
Kinda makes you wonder what segment of the Nation, the citizens or Government Officials, are the most "breathtakingly stupid"?

Maybe equally stupid?

Old 01-08-2022, 10:32 PM

50,840 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
I don't need help...it's your attitude and quality of character that needs the help.
Calling someone "Jim Crow". What makes people like you tick?
For every action, there's a reaction.

Old 01-08-2022, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Maybe equally stupid?
I think you are correct.

Old 01-09-2022, 05:04 AM

16,677 posts, read 15,680,560 times
Please get the thread back on topic.

Old 01-09-2022, 05:25 AM

7,596 posts, read 4,165,130 times
I don't know how to explain this clearly enough but it seems that if there is a request to distinguish between the truth and the lies, it almost puts them on equal footing. For example, think of a t-chart. On the left the heading is "truth" and on the right, the heading is "lies."

But the way people talk about the truth, such as ultimate truth, I then perceive it as something that sits above and beyond everything else.

Old 01-09-2022, 07:25 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,729,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justus978 View Post
...critical thinking... grammar, rhetoric and logic, also taught as 'the trivium' is no longer taught at any level in school now....it's a tool to identify dialectic from rhetoric, it's basically your own bullchit meter...i spent four years in a jesuit run, catholic, all boys high school in the late 60's...this way of teaching, being able to identify rhetoric from dialectic was woven into every subject taught...

...most of what you see in the 'media', be it mainstream or otherwise, is rhetoric, hyperbole and word spells and would be mostly dismissed and laughed at hysterically by a populace of savvy consumers....
No doubt that education is a big part of the mix that ultimately helps us to distinguish the truth from the bullchit...

Old 01-09-2022, 07:27 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,729,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Anytime anybody says anything, even if they state it as a fact or truth, whether they explicitly label it "this is a fact", I always treat it as something abstract. If the person wants a deeper connection with me, then I will listen to the reasoning behind the comment. This is still treated as something abstract. If the person wants me to act, then I need to see something concrete.

This is the process I use:
1.Abstract - opinion, belief, claim, feeling, or conclusion
2.Abstract - reasoning
3.Concrete - evidence, examples, or demonstration

But I don't go through all the stages. Most relationships are built at the abstract level. If a statement doesn't resonate with me, it will take some real polite language and the ability to "play it by ear" to get me to listen further than number 1.
Interesting to consider where the want to fact-check begins or ends with what "resonates" with us...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality