Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2022, 06:13 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
The main difference lies in the intent of the practitioner, and in the nature of the alleged powers being called on to perform said action (i.e. "good" powers vs. "evil" powers).
Do you think you should be criticized for being a catholic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2022, 06:51 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,326,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
So far, I haven't seen any of you describe what practitioners of Wicca actually do or believe.
They believe in the Goddess of Mother Earth and that nature is sacred.

Old 03-23-2022, 08:57 PM

19,036 posts, read 27,607,234 times
I have, in my lifetime, encountered too many small miracles, to not believe into them. They are. It's just that to each according to his own and to his faith. Small faith, small miracles. No faith, no miracles. Great faith - great miracles.

Old 03-23-2022, 09:25 PM

22,182 posts, read 19,227,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
I have, in my lifetime, encountered too many small miracles, to not believe into them. They are. It's just that to each according to his own and to his faith. Small faith, small miracles. No faith, no miracles. Great faith - great miracles.
yes.
YES.

it's like they say, a person can go to the ocean for water with a thimble, or a cup, or a bucket.
or their bare hands. or a sieve.

and that's what determines how much water they can get

Old 03-24-2022, 07:28 AM

13,624 posts, read 7,942,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
So far, I haven't seen any of you describe what practitioners of Wicca actually do or believe.
Wicca has not really been a part of this conversation.

I've been speaking of witchcraft, which is far from being a practice exclusive to the practitioners of Wicca. In fact, I would argue that much of Wicca would be better defined as "occultism" as opposed to "witchcraft". Defining these things can be complicated as there tends to be a lot of overlap and some of it is dependent upon popular imagination/conception.

When I speak of "witchcraft", this is what I have in mind:

"It is not easy to draw a clear distinction between magic and witchcraft. Both are concerned with the producing of effects beyond the natural powers of man by agencies other than the Divine. But in witchcraft, as commonly understood, there is involved the idea of a diabolical pact or at least an appeal to the intervention of the spirits of evil. In such cases this supernatural aid is usually invoked either to compass the death of some obnoxious person, or to awaken the passion of love in those who are the objects of desire, or to call up the dead, or to bring calamity or impotence upon enemies, rivals, and fancied oppressors. This is not an exhaustive enumeration, but these represent some of the principal purposes that witchcraft has been made to serve at nearly all periods of the world's history."

From New Advent

Old 03-24-2022, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
You are assuming that witchs cast spells for evil and Catholics pray for only good.
Not necessarily. A witch is perfectly capable of calling upon "good" powers with good intent, while a Catholic is perfectly capable of calling upon "evil" powers with bad intent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
What is your intent to cast Witchs as evil?
I have said that witchcraft as a practice is evil. I have not ascribed evil to any particular person.

Old 03-24-2022, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Do you think you should be criticized for being a catholic?
Should I be? No, as there is nothing intrinsically wrong with being a Catholic.

Will I be? Of course, and I don't mind. If having my beliefs challenged were a problem for me, I wouldn't be here.

Old 03-24-2022, 07:38 AM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Should I be? No, as there is nothing intrinsically wrong with being a Catholic.

Will I be? Of course, and I don't mind. If having my beliefs challenged were a problem for me, I wouldn't be here.
Well, you seem to think it's okay to criticize a spiritual practice that someone else believes in.

So I guess there is no real principle involved.

Old 03-24-2022, 07:51 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,326,711 times
Quote:
Not necessarily. A witch is perfectly capable of calling upon "good" powers with good intent, while a Catholic is perfectly capable of calling upon "evil" powers with bad intent.

I have said that witchcraft as a practice is evil. I have not ascribed evil to any particular person.
No bu you have coloured withcraft as evil and harmful to the person. That is as much labeling the person as if you put in writing. And you use acCatholic definition for witchcraft. That would be the same as if I used an Islamic source to define your church.

Old 03-24-2022, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Well, you seem to think it's okay to criticize a spiritual practice that someone else believes in.

So I guess there is no real principle involved.
The principle involved is that of objective good and objective evil. It is possible to discern these things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality