Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2022, 10:41 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,160,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I guess I'm just too simple compared to most of you, but somehow I've never had a problem understanding the meaning of being responsible and/or the meaning of the word blame. Yes of course there is a difference. Really?
"I hold you responsible."
"I blame you."

Do you think these have different meanings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2022, 10:43 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
"I blame you."

This may be slightly off topic, but this post made me think of my days as a principal. A teacher might screw up, and ultimately I was held responsible to some degree.

Old 05-14-2022, 10:54 AM

29,548 posts, read 9,716,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
"I blame you."

I've got to get on with other things now, so with the limited time I've got to reply at this point my answer is...

It depends.

Old 05-14-2022, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
This may be slightly off topic, but this post made me think of my days as a principal. A teacher might screw up, and ultimately I was held responsible to some degree.
I think we may be off-topic but thank you for sharing.

Old 05-14-2022, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I've got to get on with other things now, so with the limited time I've got to reply at this point my answer is...

It depends.
Well, maybe we'll save it for another thread because we might be off topic.

Old 05-16-2022, 12:03 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,917,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
Are the ass-whoopings of life all trying to convey a more important message from the powers that be or is suffering just a random part of life?

Suffering is just a random part of life. We see that there is absolutely no order or preferences in who suffers compared to any other religion or group. Proportionately, just as many Christians suffer as atheists as Buddhists as Hindus and on and on. Suffering is dependent on many factors--chronic disease conditions spread evenly among all people, more suffering in poorer countries compared to rich ones despite poorer countries having a greater number of Christians than rich ones, genetics being responsible for greater numbers of people suffering than groups where genetic predisposition to diseases is not present. In other words, suffering could not be more evenly distributed among all people without any regard to religion. Prayer does absolutely nothing to alleviate or mitigate suffering among Christians--it has absolutely no effect on improving a person's condition or circumstances despite Christians swearing on a stack of Bibles it does. The polls do not lie; they have shown time after time that prayer is completely ineffectual with regard to suffering.

"Prayers offered by strangers had NO EFFECT on the recovery of people who were undergoing heart surgery, a large and long-awaited study has found."

https://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/31/h...of-prayer.html

Old 05-16-2022, 12:30 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,643,077 times
I think all religions try to explain/justify/rationalize suffering. Probably why many religions even came to be.

To me, none of them can accomplish that. I think suffering is beyond our ability to understand because it is coming from someplace else we cannot access.

I don't think suffering is "a choice" or that we can control it. IMO, all the clichés about it are nonsense and I take no comfort from them; in fact they are insulting to many people.

IME, it certainly does not make anyone "stronger", lol. One might come out a different person, altered permanently, but I wouldn't call it "stronger". More cynical, probably. Just my opinion, of course.

Old 05-16-2022, 01:59 PM

19,999 posts, read 13,475,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I think all religions try to explain/justify/rationalize suffering. Probably why many religions even came to be.

To me, none of them can accomplish that. I think suffering is beyond our ability to understand because it is coming from someplace else we cannot access.

I don't think suffering is "a choice" or that we can control it. IMO, all the clichés about it are nonsense and I take no comfort from them; in fact they are insulting to many people.

IME, it certainly does not make anyone "stronger", lol. One might come out a different person, altered permanently, but I wouldn't call it "stronger". More cynical, probably. Just my opinion, of course.
"That which does not kill me makes me angry and weak" -- Dilbert

Seriously though, there is in my view some value to the Buddhist concept of escaping suffering by having a different, less judgmental relationship with pain and disappointment.

Old 05-16-2022, 02:44 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post

Seriously though, there is in my view some value to the Buddhist concept of escaping suffering by having a different, less judgmental relationship with pain and disappointment.
In a way, your approach divesting yourself of all contemplation or judgment about whatever happens is HOW suffering is eliminated. Suffering IS the contemplation and judging of the "rightness, fairness, justness, benevolence, decency, etc." of whatever happens, as exemplified by Thrillobyte's angst and diatribes. Accepting that it "just happens" can be an effective strategy.

Old 05-16-2022, 02:51 PM

15,964 posts, read 7,024,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post

Maybe a less judgemental relationship with the cause of pain and suffering? The cause can be unknowable as opposed to knowable causes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality