Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2022, 02:52 PM

15,980 posts, read 7,044,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
In a way, your approach divesting yourself of all contemplation or judgment about whatever happens is HOW suffering is eliminated. Suffering IS the contemplation and judging of the "rightness, fairness, justness, benevolence, decency, etc." of whatever happens, as exemplified by Thrillobyte's angst and diatribes. Accepting that it "just happens" can be an effective strategy.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2022, 03:08 PM

50,860 posts, read 24,371,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I think all religions try to explain/justify/rationalize suffering. Probably why many religions even came to be.

To me, none of them can accomplish that. I think suffering is beyond our ability to understand because it is coming from someplace else we cannot access.

I don't think suffering is "a choice" or that we can control it. IMO, all the clichés about it are nonsense and I take no comfort from them; in fact they are insulting to many people.

IME, it certainly does not make anyone "stronger", lol. One might come out a different person, altered permanently, but I wouldn't call it "stronger". More cynical, probably. Just my opinion, of course.
I think that what you're expressing is sort of close to my view...at least in a general sense.

I just went through a few weeks knowing that it was likely I had cancer, waiting for the biopsy to be done and the results to come in. I continued doing most of the things I usually do. It may not have looked like I was suffering, but I was. Will I die? Will I suffer through radiation or chemo? Radioactive iodine? What will the extent of surgery be? Will it cure me? What will happen to my pet? I was lucky to get a surprise benign diagnosis. I still have to have surgery later in the summer, but I don't have to worry about cancer.

One of my neighbors has lung cancer. Another multiple myeloma. The former is probably okay now, but will need to be checked regularly; that will be stressful. The latter is doing okay. Plays gold several times a week, but confided to me that he knows it's just a matter of time. A third neighbor is terminal in terms of cancer. A few months. Going downhill. She's putting on a good face, but as you say it's cliched behavior.

We may be able to control how we act toward suffering, but even Buddha taught that the only total elimination from suffering is death and no rebirth.

Old 05-16-2022, 03:49 PM

22,233 posts, read 19,245,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I think that what you're expressing is sort of close to my view...at least in a general sense.

I just went through a few weeks knowing that it was likely I had cancer, waiting for the biopsy to be done and the results to come in. I continued doing most of the things I usually do. It may not have looked like I was suffering, but I was. Will I die? Will I suffer through radiation or chemo? Radioactive iodine? What will the extent of surgery be? Will it cure me? What will happen to my pet? I was lucky to get a surprise benign diagnosis. I still have to have surgery later in the summer, but I don't have to worry about cancer.

One of my neighbors has lung cancer. Another multiple myeloma. The former is probably okay now, but will need to be checked regularly; that will be stressful. The latter is doing okay. Plays gold several times a week, but confided to me that he knows it's just a matter of time. A third neighbor is terminal in terms of cancer. A few months. Going downhill. She's putting on a good face, but as you say it's cliched behavior.

We may be able to control how we act toward suffering, but even Buddha taught that the only total elimination from suffering is death and no rebirth.
nope.

"This is what he discovered: there is an end to suffering; it can happen to anybody, anywhere, here and now; and the key to ending all suffering is to remove all desire, ill will and ignorance. The Buddha said, and demonstrated through his own life, that Nirvana can be achieved in our lives, while living — it is not a place to which we go after death. Buddhists believe that we can eradicate all the causes of suffering in this life, and achieve enlightenment — live in bliss, if we follow the Buddha's teachings."

https://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning...ism/bs-s05.htm

Old 05-16-2022, 05:27 PM

20,024 posts, read 13,496,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
"This is what he discovered: there is an end to suffering; it can happen to anybody, anywhere, here and now; and the key to ending all suffering is to remove all desire, ill will and ignorance. The Buddha said, and demonstrated through his own life, that Nirvana can be achieved in our lives, while living — it is not a place to which we go after death. Buddhists believe that we can eradicate all the causes of suffering in this life, and achieve enlightenment — live in bliss, if we follow the Buddha's teachings."

Then I am going to have to point out that, just as 2,000 years of Christianity has failed to convert 2/3 of the world and produced endless schisms and disputes, some 2,500 years of Buddhism has failed to produce more than a very debatable handful of "fully realized" humans this side of the grave.

It might be possible, but I am certainly not devoting the relatively few years I have left in pursuit of it, lol. However ... as I've mentioned, there are some good and highly borrowable ideas in Buddhism, which is more than I can say for most religions. These ideas might take the hard knife-edge off of suffering. So there's that.

Old 05-16-2022, 05:47 PM

Quote:
nope.

Thank you for your 'textbook knowledge'. It's a good part of the discussion.

Old 05-16-2022, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Then I am going to have to point out that, just as 2,000 years of Christianity has failed to convert 2/3 of the world and produced endless schisms and disputes, some 2,500 years of Buddhism has failed to produce more than a very debatable handful of "fully realized" humans this side of the grave.

It might be possible, but I am certainly not devoting the relatively few years I have left in pursuit of it, lol. However ... as I've mentioned, there are some good and highly borrowable ideas in Buddhism, which is more than I can say for most religions. These ideas might take the hard knife-edge off of suffering. So there's that.
Yes. A total end to suffering is something that VERY FEW...I mean VERY FEW... people ever obtain. 'We' may do our best, 'We' may reduce suffering. But I can't say that I've ever personally known a single person, including a single Buddhist, who would claim to have eliminated ALL suffering.

Old 05-16-2022, 05:52 PM

Quote:
nope.

It's interesting that you pull that from buddhanet (a good, but not unerring site), but fail to accept that Buddhism is not just another path to god from the same site (Do Buddhists believe in god? "No, we do not").

https://www.buddhanet.net/ans73.htm

Old 05-18-2022, 12:20 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,134,096 times
Suffering is how you build character and strength.

Think about going to the gym - you are literally ripping your muscles (suffering) so that they will grow back stronger.

In the cosmic scale of this universe, suffering may be inevitable, but is also useful for building character and growing stronger.

Old 05-18-2022, 12:30 PM

20,024 posts, read 13,496,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Suffering is how you build character and strength.

Think about going to the gym - you are literally ripping your muscles (suffering) so that they will grow back stronger.

In the cosmic scale of this universe, suffering may be inevitable, but is also useful for building character and growing stronger.
Well here again the definition of "suffering" is slippery and starts to elude us again. You are equating it with "experiencing pain" and I think the entire point of Buddhism is that suffering has to do not with pain but with attachment and grasping and control.

One can go to the gym with a "no pain, no gain" mindset and push through the pain to a place of physical mastery, like my stepson has done. He's become a beast. His personal trainer comes every Tuesday and tortures him, and he just is to a point now where he tortures himself just for the fun of it, lol.

Or one can go to the gym with a "pain bad, pleasure good" mindset and run screaming from the place, like me. By the Buddhist conception, I am suffering and my stepson is not, but we would both be in pain.

Old 05-18-2022, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Well here again the definition of "suffering" is slippery and starts to elude us again. You are equating it with "experiencing pain" and I think the entire point of Buddhism is that suffering has to do not with pain but with attachment and grasping and control.

One can go to the gym with a "no pain, no gain" mindset and push through the pain to a place of physical mastery, like my stepson has done. He's become a beast. His personal trainer comes every Tuesday and tortures him, and he just is to a point now where he tortures himself just for the fun of it, lol.

Or one can go to the gym with a "pain bad, pleasure good" mindset and run screaming from the place, like me. By the Buddhist conception, I am suffering and my stepson is not, but we would both be in pain.
I think to a degree, pain and suffering are not distinct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality