Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2022, 04:32 AM

2,676 posts, read 1,265,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grandeur View Post
What is YHWH then?
It is a label for an aspect of God. There are other labels and other aspects. A name defines and limits. God is infinite so all we can do it call forth small parts of the infinite whole.

Old 06-08-2022, 06:37 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,020,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
You might want to read the Christianity forum. There are several active members who are obviously Christians 6ththat do not subscribe to the Doctrine of the Trinity.
According to you, they can't define Christianity, it's kind of a silly argument to have, isn't it? They can't define it, I can't define it, you can't define it, etc..

Old 06-08-2022, 07:10 AM

16,675 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Quote:
You might want to read the Christianity forum. There are several active members who are obviously Christians that do not subscribe to the Doctrine of the Trinity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
According to you, they can't define Christianity, it's kind of a silly argument to have, isn't it? They can't define it, I can't define it, you can't define it, etc..
Quit putting words in my mouth. I said nothing of the sort. Every one of you can define Christianity, and you probably do. The problem is that, without some rule in place, many of you will tell each other that you aren't really Christians, call each other heretics (saw that one a few days ago), accuse each other's churches of being invalid because they don't interpret Scripture the same way your church does, etc., etc.

Therefore, for the purposes of posting in the City-Data R&S forums, we stick with the simplest definition possible. Followers of Jesus Christ are called Christians. If you think you have to narrow down the definition further than that, you have two choices. Keep it to yourself, or go find another forum. Otherwise, we are giving you a license to post hurtful things about other Christians, something that will not be happening.

Old 06-08-2022, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Quit putting words in my mouth. I said nothing of the sort. Every one of you can define Christianity, and you probably do. The problem is that, without some rule in place, many of you will tell each other that you aren't really Christians, call each other heretics (saw that one a few days ago), accuse each other's churches of being invalid because they don't interpret Scripture the same way your church does, etc., etc.
So imagine, if you'd give Christianity the same treatment as any other religion. Let actual Christians define it. Instead, you call that "hurtful" when we actually point out that the religion isn't what you think it is.

It's a double standard and just makes you look bad.

Old 06-08-2022, 07:43 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,651,631 times
Quote:
So imagine, if you'd give Christianity the same treatment as any other religion. Let actual Christians define it. Instead, you call that "hurtful" when we actually point out that the religion isn't what you think it is.

Christians posting hurtful things about (other) Christians...that will not be happening.

Anyone else posting hurtful things (the most hurtful things possible) about Christians (and Christianity)...a big part of the board.

Old 06-08-2022, 07:48 AM

16,675 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Quote:

I suppose you think that YOUR definition would be the right one, but the problem is that dozens of other Christians would also have definitions, and theirs may or may not agree with yours. Fortunately, we're not going to allow a few Christians to ostracize those who simply interpret Scripture in ways different from your own. Relevant to this particular thread, some of you think that God's name is Jesus, while some of you don't. That difference has nothing to do with whether a person is a Christian, nor does it have anything to do with whether Arabic speaking Christians refer to Good as Allah, which is what this thread is about.

Old 06-08-2022, 08:56 AM

Quote:
I suppose you think that YOUR definition would be the right one,
I think the Bible is what we look to. Not you, not me.
Quote:

but the problem is that dozens of other Christians would also have definitions, and theirs may or may not agree with yours.
Again. It's interesting that you carry this hard-line stance ONLY in regards to Christianity. It's mind-boggling that you think that actual adherents to a religion can't define it.
Quote:
Fortunately, we're not going to allow a few Christians to ostracize those who simply interpret Scripture in ways different from your own. Relevant to this particular thread, some of you think that God's name is Jesus, while some of you don't. That difference has nothing to do with whether a person is a Christian, nor does it have anything to do with whether Arabic speaking Christians refer to Good as Allah, which is what this thread is about.
Who is we? I don't see red text right now, so I'll say it. As far as I know, you do not identify as a Christian, and do not affirm orthodox Christian teaching. Your opinion carries no more weight than anyone else here. You don't get to define what I believe, or what the religion teaches any more than I get to define what Islam or any other religion teaches.

Old 06-08-2022, 09:26 AM

63,814 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
I think the Bible is what we look to. Not you, not me.

Again. It's interesting that you carry this hard-line stance ONLY in regards to Christianity. It's mind-boggling that you think that actual adherents to a religion can't define it.

Who is we? I don't see red text right now, so I'll say it. As far as I know, you do not identify as a Christian, and do not affirm orthodox Christian teaching. Your opinion carries no more weight than anyone else here. You don't get to define what I believe, or what the religion teaches any more than I get to define what Islam or any other religion teaches.
Back off, BF. The forum DOES get to define who can be called Christian here and as a Mod mensa can enforce it. You control ONLY what YOU define and that can NOT be used to define the Christianity of others in here, period! The arrogant presumption that you and your preferred denomination have the one and only correct definition of a Christian is what is denied here in this forum, period!

Old 06-08-2022, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Back off, BF. The forum DOES get to define who can be called Christian here and as a Mod mensa can enforce it. You control ONLY what YOU define and that can NOT be used to define the Christianity of others in here, period! The arrogant presumption that you and your preferred denomination have the one and only correct definition of a Christian is what is denied here in this forum, period!
1. Are you a mod? If not, kindly back off yourself.

2. I respect the mods. If you notice, mensa was not speaking as a mod, as his text was not red (per his own signature in his post). So it's open for discussion. I was not discussing moderator rules. Unlike you, I don't believe the mods need help, and I wouldn't question him.

3. I'm not the arrogant one calling others barbaric. That's you. Nor do I think my denomination has it correct. I'm currently Baptist, but have been in MANY different denominations in the past. My pastor was in a different denomination prior to coming to our church. We are in complete agreement on the essential doctrines and I have no issue with his beliefs, or with any of the teachings of the churches I've been a part of in the past, despite being of various denominations. I've told you this. You know this. But as so often you do, you have ignored what has actually been told to you in lieu of making your own arrogant statements.

Old 06-08-2022, 10:08 AM

50,822 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
1. Are you a mod? If not, kindly back off yourself.

2. I respect the mods. If you notice, mensa was not speaking as a mod, as his text was not red (per his own signature in his post). So it's open for discussion. I was not discussing moderator rules. Unlike you, I don't believe the mods need help, and I wouldn't question him.

3. I'm not the arrogant one calling others barbaric. That's you. Nor do I think my denomination has it correct. I'm currently Baptist, but have been in MANY different denominations in the past. My pastor was in a different denomination prior to coming to our church. We are in complete agreement on the essential doctrines and I have no issue with his beliefs, or with any of the teachings of the churches I've been a part of in the past, despite being of various denominations. I've told you this. You know this. But as so often you do, you have ignored what has actually been told to you in lieu of making your own arrogant statements.
If you don't think your denomination has it correct, why are you a part of that denomination? To me, that would seem rather immoral.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.