Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2022, 10:41 AM

63,812 posts, read 40,087,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
1. Are you a mod? If not, kindly back off yourself.

2. I respect the mods. If you notice, mensa was not speaking as a mod, as his text was not red (per his own signature in his post). So it's open for discussion. I was not discussing moderator rules. Unlike you, I don't believe the mods need help, and I wouldn't question him.

3. I'm not the arrogant one calling others barbaric. That's you. Nor do I think my denomination has it correct. I'm currently Baptist, but have been in MANY different denominations in the past. My pastor was in a different denomination prior to coming to our church. We are in complete agreement on the essential doctrines and I have no issue with his beliefs, or with any of the teachings of the churches I've been a part of in the past, despite being of various denominations. I've told you this. You know this. But as so often you do, you have ignored what has actually been told to you in lieu of making your own arrogant statements.
Again, YOU do not get to define what the essential doctrines ARE! Neither does your church. Christ is the only one who is capable of doing so. Our views are interpretations, period! That is the view taken and enforced by the forum and I consider it an excellent one.

Old 06-08-2022, 10:55 AM

50,821 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Again, YOU do not get to define what the essential doctrines ARE! Neither does your church. Christ is the only one who is capable of doing so. Our views are interpretations, period! That is the view taken and enforced by the forum and I consider it an excellent one.
It's nice how every once in a while you and I can agree on things.

Old 06-08-2022, 10:55 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Quote:
1. Are you a mod? If not, kindly back off yourself.

2. I respect the mods. If you notice, mensa was not speaking as a mod, as his text was not red (per his own signature in his post). So it's open for discussion. I was not discussing moderator rules. Unlike you, I don't believe the mods need help, and I wouldn't question him.

3. I'm not the arrogant one calling others barbaric. That's you. Nor do I think my denomination has it correct. I'm currently Baptist, but have been in MANY different denominations in the past. My pastor was in a different denomination prior to coming to our church. We are in complete agreement on the essential doctrines and I have no issue with his beliefs, or with any of the teachings of the churches I've been a part of in the past, despite being of various denominations. I've told you this. You know this. But as so often you do, you have ignored what has actually been told to you in lieu of making your own arrogant statements.
We use red text when we are taking moderator action, such as closing threads, posting warnings, or asking people to get back on topic.

None of this makes any difference at all. We're not going to allow any of you to impose a limited view of what constitutes a "Christian" on any of the other Christians who choose to post here. We have had to delete posts, issue infractions, and even ban people from the forums as a result of statements made about which denominations fail to meet someone's standards. We know who you would exclude. City-Data does not have a faith requirement for members, so our role as moderators is to try to keep the forums welcome to all. Obviously, you don't like that. You know what your options are.

Old 06-08-2022, 11:23 AM

978 posts, read 1,057,859 times
Quote:
That's ok, I've never met a Christian that denied Jesus is God.

You've now met two.

Jesus is the Son OF God...not God.

True, he is from the lineage of God but there is not a single story in the Bible claiming that it was Jesus that created Adam, scolded Eve, gave the Ten Commandments to Moses, or Encouraged Abraham to populate the region with HIS people...that all was done by God..not Jesus

Old 06-08-2022, 11:33 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,020,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H'ton View Post
You've now met two.

Jesus is the Son OF God...not God.

True, he is from the lineage of God but there is not a single story in the Bible claiming that it was Jesus that created Adam, scolded Eve, gave the Ten Commandments to Moses, or Encouraged Abraham to populate the region with HIS people...that all was done by God..not Jesus
He actually claimed to be God. Scripture calls him God, as well. I'd encourage you to believe Scripture.

Old 06-08-2022, 11:38 AM

Careful. Don't put words in my mouth. It's not nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
We use red text when we are taking moderator action, such as closing threads, posting warnings, or asking people to get back on topic.

None of this makes any difference at all. We're not going to allow any of you to impose a limited view of what constitutes a "Christian" on any of the other Christians who choose to post here.
Nowhere have I done that. Not sure what you're trying to insinuate. On the contrary you have explicitly told me what a Christian is, and you have imposed your views on Christianity by stating that anyone that calls themself one is one. That's farther than I have gone.
Quote:
We have had to delete posts, issue infractions, and even ban people from the forums as a result of statements made about which denominations fail to meet someone's standards.
I've done none of those things. Again, it's not nice to speak for others. It's not as if I'm the one saying others have barbaric views. I've explicitly stated that I've been in churches of many different denominations and I have a pastor that has been in several.
Quote:

We know who you would exclude. City-Data does not have a faith requirement for members, so our role as moderators is to try to keep the forums welcome to all.
I have not made any statements. That's the thing. You're making assumptions about me. You're imposing your perceptions on me and telling me what I'd say. That's not nice.
Quote:
Obviously, you don't like that. You know what your options are.
I haven't said if I like you keeping forums open to anyone or not. I have no issue with everyone on the planet posting here if they'd like. You again are putting words in my mouth. That's rude. Please stop.

Old 06-08-2022, 11:54 AM

978 posts, read 1,057,859 times
Quote:
He actually claimed to be God. Scripture calls him God, as well. I'd encourage you to believe Scripture.
I highly encourage you research the Christianity's epic 400 journey from Jesus' crucifixion to Constantine elevating it to the official religion of the Roman Empire.

there were probably 20, or more, early christian groups who had drastically different views of what Jesus intended and what Christianity should mean. These may or may not be the names of groups you, or any Christians have ever heard of.

I highly recommended going on that deep dive.

One group believed Christians were the Jews that actually believed in the Old testament God and those who rejected Jesus were misguided Jews.

One Group believed Jesus was sent to SAVE US from the evils of the Old Testament God and his vengeful ways.

......and on and on with the extreme beliefs of the groups that claimed Christianity pre Bible.

However, the group that WON...was the Proto Orthodoxs but they faced TWO major issues:

1) The bulk of their conversions were Polytheistic Pagans so they had to come up with a way to discourage their worship of multiple Gods and explain Jesus is terms of a single source yet they also had the Old Testament God to contend with...hence, they came up with the Trinity which continues to confuse people to this day....especially since the Jews and Muslims honor the same Old Testament God.

2) Christianity had just been elevated from cult status to the official religion of the Roman Empire and with that the Proto Orthodoxs controlled what was IN the Bible and what was NOT in the Bible. Had one of those 20 other groups won...the scriptures would have been drastically different but THEY controlled the narrative,,,it was that arbitrary.

They also decided to fuse this new religion with an existing religion , Judaism, because they felt it gave the religion more credibility. The Muslims followed doing the same by rejecting Christianity...who were the base of their Middle East conversions. And BTW- the Middle Eastern pre-Islamic Christians called God "Allah"...always have.

With that said...the specific words in the scriptures of the Bible were written by Man ...many 100s of years after Jesus life. They were trying to stick with a very specific narrative.

Go on that deep dive from this starting point..... Jesus is crucified...then what happened with the pre-Bible Christians!?!?!

Old 06-08-2022, 12:03 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,926,415 times
John 1;1,2,3,4,5, Makes Jesus deity abundantly clear.

Matthew 7;21,22,23,
Jesus said, "Not every one that says to Me Lord, Lord, shall enter the kingdom of heaven but he that does the will of my Father.
Jesus provided the Holy Spirit to teach in His place, and with out the Holy Spirit you haven't a relationship, even though you may actually do miracles in Jesus name.
Jesus name actually has power, spoken through those not His own, Thus a sinner can be heard and changed by Him.
People abuse Jesus name for their own influence among men for which they will give account on that day.
Noble or not, people that teach in place of the Holy Spirit WILL give account on that day. Even Paul admits they who teach are under the greater condemnation.
Sin is the absence of obedience. Jesus' Lordship can only come from Him, no one else.
I have known and operated with the power of Jesus name with and with out his direction, and when I paid attention to Him I corrected my actions. I do not know the heart of men, God does. I do not impress God doing it all on my own.
Having His instruction in all I do makes working out the timing for meeting the needs of others more precise.
What do you do with a watch that cannot keep time?
What good are you to God if all you do is your own thing, no matter how noble you think it is?
One cannot honestly call Jesus Lord if He actually has no Lordship in him.

Old 06-09-2022, 03:45 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
According to you, they can't define Christianity, it's kind of a silly argument to have, isn't it? They can't define it, I can't define it, you can't define it, etc..
I would say it like nobody complete understands what is going on.

So why would I use only the bible to define it completely.

Old 06-09-2022, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
If you don't think your denomination has it correct, why are you a part of that denomination? To me, that would seem rather immoral.
I joined the local church. I have not said that the denomination was wrong. But my point is that I joined the local church. I did not move to the town I'm in and search for a church of the denomination I wanted to be a part of. (This town doesn't have a church of that denomination, anyway).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality