Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2022, 06:06 AM

15,952 posts, read 7,015,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Anybody is nice enough until they expect to have some influence on the other person. Regarding the bolded, I have an acquaintance who calls himself a Christian who dislikes religion more than any person I have taken notice of in this subforum. The dislike was deeper than I could have imagined. He tells me one day he will explain things to me, but I think he knows I will challenge him.
I want to clarify that the difficulty in engaging lies with atheists who are under this tension of justifying an untenable position. I am not in anyway dismissing your experience, but i think it sort of proves the point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2022, 06:09 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,158,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I want to clarify that the difficulty in engaging lies with atheists who are under this tension of justifying an untenable position. I am not in anyway dismissing your experience, but i think it sort of proves the point.
So that would be the "bad" side of atheism. Sounds like pretty much most positions that don't allow a middle ground.

Old 06-22-2022, 06:34 AM

16,768 posts, read 4,971,895 times
Quote:
Untenable is just another assertion of yours. We have all the evidence, observed natural forces creating complexity with no requirement of an intelligence that the religious only ever assert exists.

Atheists have met the burden of proof.

Old 06-22-2022, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Actually an atheist, possibly other atheists as well, has boldly gone forth and lied on this forum about ‘the hard problem†of consciousness as being in the field of philosophy and NOT science. Why would they do that? It could just be just that they do not understand Science, their deity. There is no shame in that, but you cannot make stuff up.
He did not lie, he made a mistake. You, however, should practice what you preach.

And Science (with an unexplained capital 'S'), our deity, seriously, that epic fail ad hominem?

Quote:
Atheism, a denial of non-existence, is an unstable position to hold. If one does not believe in divinity all one needs to do is stop and get on with life. Why is this need to name it and then having to be in this negative position all the time? This must cause terrible tension. I have to rethink my position and declare this fundamental problem of Atheism is the bad and ugly.
We are in a positive position with the negative belief you have once again dishonestly straw manned, because you (plural) can not even decide which of your (plural) many different religions is actually the correct one. Atheism, however, is based on what we do know.

Old 06-22-2022, 06:51 AM

Quote:
I am not sure trust is the issue here and what trust has to do with numbers. I know a few among the few in real life. They are nice enough until they start talking about their non-belief. And i know the way atheists here in the forum engage, and that is a whole new window on atheism. My opinion about atheism is based on the fundamental lack of logic in its stance and my conclusion that this is the cause of the difficulty in engaging with then in discussions of religion and spirituality.
Shall I post my link again for you to avoid? Because your constant tin can rattling ad hominems makes it seem you can not honestly engage with the actual arguments.

And perhaps the difficulty in engaging is your problem, not ours.

Old 06-22-2022, 07:26 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,570,234 times
I was raised to always judge a person by what they are doing. List what they have done for the last month. Have them list what they have done for the last month. Compare notes.

A pipe dream, to be sure, but it has meaning. Can you imagine being totally honest what that would do?

Yeah, I was lucky. My theist parents said God doesn't care what you believe. Basically they said they don't really know but treat people they people should be treated. That's good enough.

Most atheist understand that to believe in some thing more just matches observations far better. Far less would deploy political tactic's to hide that in favor of a war.

Well, at least the atheist I know. Once we clarify "Yeah, we all see religious as dangerous sometimes and there aint no deity, lets talk about beliefs.". It goes rather quickly.

Do you know how it sounds when atheist say "Yeah, but we need to be careful how we speak because of religion." in public? I mean like, in some many circles, if we nod our heads, we are culpable.

Old 06-22-2022, 07:35 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,648,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
He did not lie, he made a mistake. You, however, should practice what you preach.

And Science (with an unexplained capital 'S'), our deity, seriously, that epic fail ad hominem?

We are in a positive position with the negative belief you have once again dishonestly straw manned, because you (plural) can not even decide which of your (plural) many different religions is actually the correct one. Atheism, however, is based on what we do know.
All you have is a Non/Dis/Lack of Belief, basically, nuthin' position.
Atheism is really more of a "condition" than anything else (like blindness)...it is really just indicative of a deficiency in the common & normal ability to perceive God.
Because, if you could (like most people)...you wouldn't be Atheist.
It compels you to lash out against those with the standard Theist abilities.
You have my sympathy about this...and I will pray for you.

Old 06-22-2022, 07:36 AM

Quote:

Nipped for space ...

Atheism, a denial of non-existence, is an unstable position to hold. If one does not believe in divinity all one needs to do is stop and get on with life. Why is this need to name it and then having to be in this negative position all the time? This must cause terrible tension. I have to rethink my position and declare this fundamental problem of Atheism is the bad and ugly.
I think we need to be clear here. Most atheist will believe in some thing more. it will have many ways of presentation, but its always some thing more. Then we can apply a sliding scale of reliability to them.

It just fits observations better.

Yes, the loud barrel atheist here have to avoid that (investing what beliefs match observation) like they avoid religion, for obvious reasons. "It doesn't get them anywhere[politically that is].

They feel it hurts "moving the needle". Its basically blind faith.

That's why we see these atheist strictly enforcing the belief in "no deity type god only". "No god or gods of any type", well, that fails as fast as my-god-only. Its also looking very religious when a group of them form a pack.

Old 06-22-2022, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
All you have is a Non/Dis/Lack of Belief, basically, nuthin' position.
Atheism is really more of a "condition" than anything else (like blindness)...it is really just indicative of a deficiency in the common & normal ability to perceive God.
Because, if you could (like most people)...you wouldn't be Atheist.
It compels you to lash out against those with the standard Theist abilities.
You have my sympathy about this...and I will pray for you.
lol, we differed again.

Like all people with willful blind faith.
They hurt far to many people
when allowed to run around
unsupervised.

I can't pray for them.
They will not sit by and logically think this threw.
I have to prepare for them.

Old 06-22-2022, 08:05 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,648,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
lol, we differed again.

Like all people with willful blind faith.
They hurt far to many people
when allowed to run around
unsupervised.

I can't pray for them.
They will not sit by and logically think this threw.
I have to prepare for them.
You actually understand Theist Beliefs...at the root.
Your recognition that we observe "something more" is actually very similar to God perception...you just don't assign that appellative to it (and not because you have a severe allergy to the term "God"), though that doesn't skew your observations.
If you did perceive "something more" as God to you...you wouldn't be Atheist.
You also don't suffer from the compulsion to bust on those who do have that perception.

***What Belief comports with observations, and provides a mechanism to make predictions off of?***
There is no better standard than that.
Please never stop putting that forth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality