Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2022, 03:49 AM

16,781 posts, read 4,986,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
As i said, Buddhism does not believe in hell. That is a christian concept.
Also a Daoist concept (they have 10), and some of the early Jews apparently had something similar (punishment in Sheol), and the Greek had Hades (sans punishment).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2022, 06:50 AM

22,191 posts, read 19,227,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Also a Daoist concept (they have 10), and some of the early Jews apparently had something similar (punishment in Sheol), and the Greek had Hades (sans punishment).
Sheol is not punishment, it is "where the dead go" all the dead. it is related to death, not to punishment.
There is no eternal punishment in Judaism.

so information on Judaism above is inaccurate.
post above also errs in omitting that the Greeks did have a place of eternal punishment, Tartarus.

For the Greeks, distinct from Hades was Tartarus. The Greeks had hellish eternal punishments in Tartarus, a space dedicated to the imprisonment and torment of mortals who had sinned. The tortures described include: Ixion condemned to spend forever spinning on a giant and fiery wheel. Tantalus condemned to an eternity of hunger and thirst, unable to reach either the apples or pool of water nearby. Sisyphus condemned to roll a boulder up a slope which forever rolled down forcing him to start again.

post #105 specifically asked about places of eternal punishment, such as hell in Crstnty and Islam. That concept does not exist in either Buddhism or Judaism. It does exist in Greek mythology.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 07-05-2022 at 07:10 AM..

Old 07-05-2022, 06:59 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,725,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I just looked up the definition of atheism once again. And in the first five sources that I checked it said that atheism was a lack of belief in "god or gods", not other mystical beings.
Did you find any that go beyond that simple definition? I just did the same and found this read somewhat interesting and a little more elaborative...

Atheism, however, casts a wider net and rejects all belief in “spiritual beings,” and to the extent that belief in spiritual beings is definitive of what it means for a system to be religious, atheism rejects religion. So atheism is not only a rejection of the central conceptions of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam; it is, as well, a rejection of the religious beliefs of such African religions as that of the Dinka and the Nuer, of the anthropomorphic gods of classical Greece and Rome, and of the transcendental conceptions of Hinduism and Buddhism. Generally atheism is a denial of God or of the gods, and if religion is defined in terms of belief in spiritual beings, then atheism is the rejection of all religious belief.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/atheism

More in keeping with what my understanding of atheism has been for awhile now...

Old 07-05-2022, 07:05 AM

Quote:
My interest in Buddhism is centered on Buddha himself. His renunciation of his kingdom, his travels, the sacred places he visited and the people he talked to. There is very little of that in history. People did observe his penance which went into days and months. Buddhism spread from the Northeast to the South in India and on to Sri Lanka. He focused a lot on Ahimsa, non violence, and why would he but for the violence that existed in the region then. Buddhism was adopted by Dr. Ambedkar during the struggle for Independence as a protest against caste discrimination and he encouraged many of the poor and those belonging to lowest caste to convert to Buddhism and they did. He was instrumental in getting affirmation action for those affected by caste discrimination into the constitution, and he chaired the committee that wrote the constitution. Buddha has a revered place for Indians.
The story of Buddha himself is interesting as well. All of it is interesting to me...

BTW, is it okay they are called Noble Truths?

Old 07-05-2022, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
It's not for you to judge. That, in fact, is your problem -- you have set yourself up as judge of others and their beliefs.
I've done this. I do it all the time...

How are we to decide what to believe if not by way of judgement along these lines? Along with the other ways to learn, consider, become aware and decide upon. Critical thinking involves a lot of judgement, of others and their beliefs along with a good deal more. Nothing wrong with that I don't think, as long as we keep it peaceful and for the most part civil. I think the Buddha would agree if not encourage the same thing...

Old 07-05-2022, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Searching Buddhism and atheism I find several sites including National Geographic that claim there is no gods in Buddhism. Our local Buddhist days the same thing. But now our one Hindi and anti atheism claims that he is appropriating culture because he does not view Buddhism exactly like she does.

So who should we trust? National Geographic and other sites and our resident Buddhist who has spent time in Asia with Buddhists or a fellow poster whose trustworthyness leaves a lot to be desired?

The entire OP appears to be a direct attack on one fellow poster's personal take of his Buddhism. And her fourth of fifth thread started tofor the purpose of attacking atheism. We have had in the past threads started to attack Christians or Muslims but I do not think as many started by a single poster. Ironic. CB2008 keep it up as it really makes you stand out.
Yes. Also true, as Phet already explained...

There are more than one version of what Buddhism is or is not. I prefer the versions that don't involve a deity, but I know there are other versions that include more of that from the spiritual realm. I'm not sure what can be called the "official" version, but we should all know by now there is more than one version to consider.

Old 07-05-2022, 07:15 AM

22,191 posts, read 19,227,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Did you find any that go beyond that simple definition? I just did the same and found this read somewhat interesting and a little more elaborative...

Atheism, however, casts a wider net and rejects all belief in “spiritual beings,” and to the extent that belief in spiritual beings is definitive of what it means for a system to be religious, atheism rejects religion. So atheism is not only a rejection of the central conceptions of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam; it is, as well, a rejection of the religious beliefs of such African religions as that of the Dinka and the Nuer, of the anthropomorphic gods of classical Greece and Rome, and of the transcendental conceptions of Hinduism and Buddhism. Generally atheism is a denial of God or of the gods, and if religion is defined in terms of belief in spiritual beings, then atheism is the rejection of all religious belief.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/atheism

More in keeping with what my understanding of atheism has been for awhile now...
good point in the post above. that is why there is a contradiction for someone to support an atheist activist group "Freedom From Religion" while at the same time identifying themself as belonging to a specific world religion.

what's that great phrase ukrz uses, something about trying to ride two horses at the same time. The stated purpose of the activist group is: "The Freedom From Religion Foundation works as an umbrella for those who are free from religion "

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 07-05-2022 at 07:25 AM..

Old 07-05-2022, 07:18 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,326,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Yes. Also true, as Phet already explained...

There are more than one version of what Buddhism is or is not. I prefer the versions that don't involve a deity, but I know there are other versions that include more of that from the spiritual realm. I'm not sure what can be called the "official" version, but we should all know by now there is more than one version to consider.

However I was told that this thread is only about the first article and that Buddhism has a dirty and and other discussion is off topic. We are all supposed to accept that one person who wrote the article as the ultimate authority on the topic.

Old 07-05-2022, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Yes, the comment on the difference between faith and belief is revealing. Faith unites us, belief divides us.
I have observed how one particular atheist here tries to divide people by their beliefs even when they are united by their faith in divinity. He loves to tell me how his Christian community hates Hindus even as i find commonality. He is a dealer in division and hate. I am sure this is not an obsession of most atheists.
I find this comment entirely unfair...

The difference between faith and belief is a little more complicated than you seem willing to consider, and I don't see most of these comments you are referring to as intended to "divide people," or any kind of obsession. Just one person offering their perspective about all this which is different from yours and others. Let's try to keep the drama down a bit here and not get back to this personal tit for tat childish nonsense. Possible?

Old 07-05-2022, 07:23 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,326,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
good point in the post above. that is why there is a contradiction for someone to support an atheist activist group "Freedom From Religion" while at the same time identifying as belonging to a specific world religion.

what's that great phrase ukrkoz uses, something about trying to ride two horses at the same time
Why? Do you not believe that any person believing in a religion could not want other religions or even in his own thrust into areas that he feels religion has no place? Or is it you do not approve of a person of religion associating with a group you identify as atheistic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality