Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2022, 09:38 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,337,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
It seems to me whatever i post is offensive to you. Best to use that ignore button and be at peace
I know how the ignore button can be used and have my own criteria to put posters on ignore. Maybe not be a hypocrite so often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2022, 09:39 AM

10,537 posts, read 6,182,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Ok then I'll give it a try.

Devout theists tend to indoctrinate (brainwash) their children into whatever religion they follow beginning at a very young age. This indoctrination may last for many years. Eventually the child grows up and is exposed to information from other sources and may begin to question what they have been taught. They discover that there is no evidence for it, so they begin to deprogram themselves. It is very difficult to deprogram a indoctrinated person with help, doing it alone is even more difficult.

I believe my journey towards atheism began with a childhood prayer my mother made me repeat every night that scared the daylights out of me, gave me sleepless nights and stress.

Now I lay me down to sleep
I pray the lord my soul to keep
If I should die before I wake
I pray the lord my soul to take

Old 09-06-2022, 09:40 AM

88,689 posts, read 85,035,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
No offense Gldn, but do you think we could have a conversation without all the NOGADAH! / Godunnit and such? That's not me.

I'm an adult. You're an adult. I would just like to have a normal conversation with you. Thanks.
Thank you. The gratuitous ellipses could go, too. I skim over most of Gldn's posts because they are so difficult to read, plus I don't even know what his NOGADHAH and HOWBADAH are supposed to mean. I feel as if I was absent that day, lol.

Old 09-06-2022, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Thank you. The gratuitous ellipses could go, too. I skim over most of Gldn's posts because they are so difficult to read, plus I don't even know what his NOGADHAH and HOWBADAH are supposed to mean. I feel as if I was absent that day, lol.

I'm guessing they are maybe a throwback to Gldns conversations with Transponder?

Old 09-06-2022, 09:48 AM

5,909 posts, read 3,806,104 times
Quote:

Devout theists tend to indoctrinate (brainwash) their children into whatever religion they follow beginning at a very young age. This indoctrination may last for many years. Eventually the child grows up and is exposed to information from other sources and may begin to question what they have been taught. They discover that there is no evidence for it, so they begin to deprogram themselves. It is very difficult to deprogram a indoctrinated person with help, doing it alone is even more difficult.

I believe my journey towards atheism began with a childhood prayer my mother made me repeat every night that scared the daylights out of me, gave me sleepless nights and stress.

I know, what a twisted little prayer. I always wondered why I would die before I woke up and where will I be taken? It didn't scare me but it could have been sort of the beginning of my questioning too. You described the journey out of indoctrination very well. THAT'S what I meant when I said it's complicated. Talk about taking something out of context.

It's hard to have any type of conversation like this when there are those trolling around looking to attack. Thanks for your input Sanspeur. It's refreshing.

Old 09-06-2022, 09:52 AM

16,722 posts, read 15,724,119 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I once asked my mother why she had us say that because it scared me, too.

She said it was a throwback to the times when many children DID die. They knew their friends and siblings had died, and so it was a comfort to them that if death came or them, God would take them to heaven.

I ended up with more complicated feelings about my nighttime prayers because my mother had me say prayers for my cousin Kathy to get better. Being a small child, I really believed that praying would make her get better. I knew she was sick, but I didn't know what leukemia was. She died when we were both six, and I was sure she died because I didn't pray right. Sometimes during bedtime prayers I'd be goofing off and kicking my sister under the covers or something, and well, God obviously killed Kathy because of my failure to pray the way I should have. It was only a short hop to realizing that God might just kill me, too. I knew Jesus was watching everything I did and reporting it back to God, and even knew when I THOUGHT bad things. I lived in state of terror.

Exhibit A on how religion can screw up children.

I did not become an atheist. Instead, I developed OCD. That Dark Thing that God sent to get me could not follow me into my room if I took exactly 18 steps down the hall, or if I said certain words or prayers or counted to certain numbers it would keep it away.
I saw something similar happen. I don't remember if my daughter was six or if her cousin was, but the cousin died as a result of head injuries sustained in a car accident. The pastor recited that prayer at her funeral. Then we had to explain to my daughter that she wasn't going to die when she went to sleep at night.

It would have been better if the pastor hadn't done that.

Old 09-06-2022, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I saw something similar happen. I don't remember if my daughter was six or if her cousin was, but the cousin died as a result of head injuries sustained in a car accident. The pastor recited that prayer at her funeral. Then we had to explain to my daughter that she wasn't going to die when she went to sleep at night.

It would have been better if the pastor hadn't done that.

Good grief!

Old 09-06-2022, 10:06 AM

16,055 posts, read 7,079,088 times
Quote:

I am sorry that prayer scared you so much! I think it is a common Christian prayer and wonder if it had that effect on others as well. Perhaps not considering the number of Christian children who did grew up and stayedChristian, probably teaching their children the same prayer!
As a non Christian without any bias either way, i find that prayer rather innocuous. I know many people wish if they were to die that that die in their sleep. That would certainly be my preference rather than die slowly from some dreadful and debilitating disease or accident.
But i can see how that might scare a child who does not know what death is yet.

Old 09-06-2022, 10:37 AM

Quote:
I am sorry that prayer scared you so much! I think it is a common Christian prayer and wonder if it had that effect on others as well. Perhaps not considering the number of Christian children who did grew up and stayedChristian, probably teaching their children the same prayer!
As a non Christian without any bias either way, i find that prayer rather innocuous. I know many people wish if they were to die that that die in their sleep. That would certainly be my preference rather than die slowly from some dreadful and debilitating disease or accident.

Or a kid who does know what death is. My grandather died when I was about 5 years old. I remember it affecting me badly and being terrified of dying for a while. It was my first realization that death was a thing. I'm glad nobody recited that prayer to me! I have 3 children turning into adults and none of them have experienced a close loved one dying yet. They don't ever seem to have ever got hung up on death, so maybe they were lucky to miss that phase at a young age.

Old 09-06-2022, 10:40 AM

50,960 posts, read 24,459,082 times
Quote:
It's certainly a stupid prayer...asking a little child to understand the concept of 'a soul'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality