Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2022, 07:36 AM

15,966 posts, read 7,027,888 times

Advertisements

Asking an Atheist: Did you embrace Atheism before or after you knew that it is based on having scientific knowledge.
If you are a bit wobbly about science, as I am, and need to google as I do, do you find Atheists with prodigious knowledge of science and scientific method intimidating?
If you have doubts about your “simply non-belief in deity Atheism” are you more comfortable discussing your doubt with
a)another atheist,
bj an atheist with prodigious knowledge of science,
c) a scientist?
No insult meant, no attacks intended. You are safe to respond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2022, 07:44 AM

16,779 posts, read 4,982,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Asking an Atheist: Did you embrace Atheism before or after you knew that it is based on having scientific knowledge.
It is not based on scientific knowledge, that is just part of the background knowledge many atheists have. But it is not a requirement.

Quote:
If you are a bit wobbly about science, as I am, and need to google as I do, do you find Atheists with prodigious knowledge of science and scientific method intimidating?
If you have doubts about your “simply non-belief in deity Atheism” are you more comfortable discussing your doubt with
a)another atheist,
bj an atheist with prodigious knowledge of science,
c) a scientist?
No insult meant, no attacks intended. You are safe to respond.
Neither applies to me, as I am neither wobbly about science, nor is my atheism simply non-belief.

Old 09-06-2022, 07:46 AM

15,966 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
Transponder was clear and forthright in recognizing, admitting, and agreeing that yes atheists on CD evangelize.
Yes! He was very aware that his posts are for those outside the forum, in doubt.
He also was forthright about we all having some kind of role to play in this game of CD forum. He was truly puzzled why I didn’t think so as well. He knew what his role was, that of derailing a thread on Religion and Spirituality if it went too long, and he had many tools in his tool kit to do so.
He was quite knowledgeable about religions but had his own conclusions about them.
He was interesting, which is something.

Old 09-06-2022, 08:11 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
Quote:
i don't distinguish between deism and theism, it's still belief in divinity.
and yes i do group paths of religion and spirituality together as a whole, because they all nourish the spirit.

Atheism is actually declining as a % of world population. And the nones (people with no religion) are also projected to decline as a share of the world’s population. Because the nones as a group are older and have fewer children than people who are affiliated with a religion.

2017 Pew research, article "Why people with no religion are projected to decline as a share of the world’s population" link
Bo you are just telling me you are proving me wrong by speaking about a totally unrelated subect in a totally unrelated time period. It is pountless having a conversation with you.

Lyell and Playfairs lenght of the age of the Earth and Darwin using that to come up with his THEORY OF EVOLUTION THROUGH NATURAL SELECTION allowed the Deiest who did not believe in a personal God but one thar created everything and then did nothing to drop the need for that impersonal God. It has nothing to do with todays population demographics and lowering birth rates in developed nations or anything ekse. If all deiest back then bwcame atheists it would hardly charge that the vast majority of people inthat era were religious.

You are fighting an imaginery dragon because you do not read posts by atheists with an open mind but as a threat that needs to be attacked and destroyed. Nothing in your post I am responding to has anythibg to do with my original post. And none of this post of mine is related to the claims you just made because it is unrelated
To my point about 19 Century Deiests.

Old 09-06-2022, 08:12 AM

22,182 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
I understand the arguments you all promote and impose just fine....for the Fundamental Proselytization of the Atheist Religion that they are.
Preach it Brotha Harry!!
Transponder was clear and forthright in recognizing, admitting, and agreeing that yes atheists on CD evangelize. Many have said they seek to reach the lurkers, and indicate the preaching is for that audience.

Old 09-06-2022, 08:19 AM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
Quote:
Transponder was clear and forthright in recognizing, admitting, and agreeing that yes atheists on CD evangelize. Many have said they seek to reach the lurkers, and indicate the preaching is for that audience.
Maybe I’m overlooking something, but I see very little of the Dawkins/Hitchens/Maher school of atheism here (which I appreciate, because I can’t stand smug atheistic superiority any more than smug theistic superiority).

Old 09-06-2022, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Yes! He was very aware that his posts are for those outside the forum, in doubt.
He also was forthright about we all having some kind of role to play in this game of CD forum. He was truly puzzled why I didn’t think so as well. He knew what his role was, that of derailing a thread on Religion and Spirituality if it went too long, and he had many tools in his tool kit to do so.
He was quite knowledgeable about religions but had his own conclusions about them.
He was interesting, which is something.
I rhought you had stated it was against the forums rules to discuss another poster in this manner? Or maybe just the rules for you ate different than the rules you point out. Much like "stay on topic" in your mislabelled religion is good thread and your staying off topic on the ask an atheist thread.

Old 09-06-2022, 08:20 AM

22,182 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Bo you are just telling me you are proving me wrong by speaking about a totally unrelated subect in a totally unrelated time period. It is pountless having a conversation with you.
Lyell and Playfairs lenght of the age of the Earth and Darwin using that to come up with his THEORY OF EVOLUTION THROUGH NATURAL SELECTION allowed the Deiest who did not believe in a personal God but one thar created everything and then did nothing to drop the need for that impersonal God. It has nothing to do with todays population demographics and lowering birth rates in developed nations or anything ekse. If all deiest back then bwcame atheists it would hardly charge that the vast majority of people inthat era were religious.You are fighting an imaginery dragon because you do not read posts by atheists with an open mind but as a threat that needs to be attacked and destroyed. Nothing in your post I am responding to has anythibg to do with my original post. And none of this post of mine is related to the claims you just made because it is unrelated To my point about 19 Century Deiests.
19th century deists are believers in god. They are theists.

i discuss that which is of interest to me. if something is not of interest to me in a post or on a thread, then i don't engage on that topic. that's how a discussion forum works.

Old 09-06-2022, 08:31 AM

10,531 posts, read 6,165,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Yes...we need better clarity.

QUESTION FOR ATHEISTS:
Do you view the doctrine of the Atheist Religion to be that the existence of God is a "delusion", a "fairytale", a mental illness that afflicts Aholes/fanatics/anal retentive/>insert vulgar insult<....or simply a idea that lacks evidence?
Because we have seen it fervently proselytized both ways here by the Atheist Adherents, for years now.
Seems like a bit of an inflammatory question since

1. There is no atheist 'doctrine'

2. Atheism isn't a religion.

But at least you attempted to ask a question, but not sure you really want honest answers to whether we think the existence of God is a delusion, a fairytale, a mental illness that afflicts aholes/fanatics/anal retentives?

I'll respond but you might not fully like all the answers I have.

Do I think the existence of god is a delusion? No, in general I do not. Most people believe in a god.

A delusion implies something a person believes and wants to be true, when it is actually not true - something false, something not accepted.

Since nobody can prove that there is no god and since most people believe there is one, then no I don't think a belief in god is delusional.

Do I think it is a fairytale? Yes and no.

Genesis clearly is. Most world religions have similar creation myths. I think most people recognise them now as just that - myths and stories.

In my personal opinion the New Testament is also a collection of stories, mostly based in reality that were passed on for a few years and embellished like Chinese whispers.

Was there a virgin birth? No.
Was Mary visited by an angel? No

Was there a good guy called Jesus that claimed to be the son of god who had followers? Yes I think most likely.
Did he feed 5000 people on a tiny amount of fish? No.

Did he cure blindness, paralysis, raise people from the dead, make people walk etc? No.

Dis he turn water into wine? No

Was there a crucifixion? Yes.
Did he rise from being dead? No.

I base all of these opinions on what is physically possible and what isn't and I think that's a perfectly reasonable conclusion to come to.

Do I think a belief in god is a mental illness that afflicts aholes/fanatics/anal retentives?

As with the previous question asked about delusion, in general, with the general population no I don't think it is.
However, I think it depends how deep it goes and how much people are able to make judgements about what's real and what's not real.

There was a guy on here a while ago who believed he had actually met god many times and visited a lake of hell fire thousands of times. He had detailed descriptions. I won't name names but you could find him if you did a search, he wrote many posts about it. Does anybody here think this is a normal and rational thing to believe? Honestly?

What about the poor kids raised within the Westboro Baptist Church? Is it rational to believe god hates everyone not raised within your own family group? Is it rational to picket the families at funerals of war veterans with signs that say 'thank god for dead soldiers' and believe in your heart of hearts that this is a loving thing to do? They did. They thought it was courteous and loving. Really?

There are other things that people believe on here that I think are completely irrational and couldn't possibly be based in reality but I will leave it there because I am not in the business of offending people.

But all my conclusions are based in what's actually physically possible and what I personally believe is morally right. I think I'm entitled to that. If people are offended by that in any way, that's really their issue.

Old 09-06-2022, 08:32 AM

Quote:
19th century deists are believers in god. They are theists.

i discuss that which is of interest to me. if something is not of interest to me in a post or on a thread, then i don't engage on that topic. that's how a discussion forum works.
Im hoping for an Oiler-Leaf Stanley Cuo final this year.

But you did engage. You tried to tell me I was wrong by posting unrelated info. So be honest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality