Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2022, 08:52 AM

22,181 posts, read 19,221,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonof View Post
All kinds of experiences exist in abundance for everybody.What is missing so far is a coherent reasoning and/or shred of good evidence that would allow rational person to objectively establish any kind of connection between those experiences and what people call "divinity".The connection always is mental, imaginary. It is not enough to be taken seriously. There has to be a way to separate subjective imagination from objective reality. We already had this subjective/ objective discussion and you already summarized your position like this.And in response I asked you a question that was left unanswered.May be you just missed it, so let me repeat this question again here Does it mean that you allow for yourself to have an "alternative" facts and perfectly fine with subscribing to contradictions?You don't have to answer if you don't want to, but no answer will be takes as "YES".After all, Silence implies consent, right?
you don't get to stuff your own words into other people's mouths.
i don't find that to be coherent or rational conversation.
i don't take posts seriously which do that.

it seems to me that you have a preconceived script you are following and are writing the words you expect others to say. given that, feel free to carry on both sides of the conversation yourself.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 09-11-2022 at 09:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2022, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I'd suggest this notion of yours about "nothing more natural than recognizing the divinity within each of us" is a good example of intellectual misunderstanding. You may be describing your personal experience and/or opinion, but there is no real justification to claim such a notion is a fact or the truth. Certainly not for everyone. PS: I don't know about all this having to do with dancing, but I do know some people think they can dance but in reality, they really can't...
people understand things which you do not.
that does not make their own understanding a "misunderstanding."

for instance people in advanced math university courses understand calculus.
people in preschool learning simple addition do not understand calculus.
It is inaccurate then for the preschoolers to say that those in university advanced math "misunderstand" calculus, and for the preschoolers to question the "fact or truth" of calculus.

Old 09-11-2022, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
The question is not whether or not people have individual 'spiritual' experiences. The question is really whether or not all those personal 'experiences' can be trusted.
Is every psychic always right? Do all psychics agree on topics? Are all psychics really psychics?
Is every religionist who has visions always right? Do all religionists who have visions agree on topics? Are all religionists who have visions sane? When religionists have dreams, do all those dreams reflect reality? Did my crazy Aunt Millie's religious proclamations have meaning, or was she just being crazy?When a Muslim tells me that the christian religion is blasphemous...does that mean it is?But you want to attribute all those things to divinity, or as I would call it woo-woo. If it's woo-woo, you love it.It's very easy to say that all religions are paths to the same god. Until you have one religion literally fighting against -- and killing people -- another religion. Sometimes to the point of nearly destroying cultures. But I guess that kind of religious hate is simply 'divinity'.
those are your own thoughts and views. they are not my thoughts and views. they are not a reflection of nor do they accurately represent my own thoughts and views. others may wish to respond to those many questions asked in post above here in the Ask an Atheist thread.

Old 09-11-2022, 09:16 AM

50,816 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Things worth considering and contemplating are never simple. Reasonable people can discuss Complexities and hold complex things in their mind.
I . “Simply lack of belief in gods†does not say anything about evidence. If there is evidence it is no longer belief.
A belief is never based on evidence, that is why it is belief. It is based on other things, such as experience, knowledge, wisdom. All real things.
An atheist can reasonably say, i have is no evidence for the existence of god. That is a simple statement.
No. Belief is -- hopefully for most intelligent people -- based at least on some evidence.

For example, christians believe in god and cite the bible as their evidence.

Old 09-11-2022, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
people understand things which you do not.
that does not make their own understanding a "misunderstanding."

for instance people in advanced math university courses understand calculus.
people in preschool learning simple addition do not understand calculus.
It is inaccurate then for the preschoolers to say that those in university advanced math "misunderstand" calculus, and for the preschoolers to question the "fact or truth" of calculus.
But it also doesn't make their understanding right.

Old 09-11-2022, 09:20 AM

Quote:
those are your own thoughts and views. they are not my thoughts and views. they are not a reflection of nor do they accurately represent my own thoughts and views. others may wish to respond to those many questions asked in post above here in the Ask an Atheist thread.
After one of our differences several months ago, that night I dreamed you are a witch. Does that vision of mine mean I was correct?

Old 09-11-2022, 09:43 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
Moderator cut: Quoted post removed since it had been deleted.

I think some Atheists try to use humour to make a point.

Last edited by mensaguy; 09-13-2022 at 04:52 AM.. Reason: Quoted post removed

Old 09-11-2022, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
I think some Atheists try to use humour to make a point.
whether it was a flip remark or not, it still has generated a great set of questions for Ask an Atheist. And these are sincere questions, so thank you to the atheist who boldly stepped forward and shared his dream, and for the atheists who are willing to respond to this set of questions:

How do atheists view their own dreams which they have which include elements of paths of religion and spirituality? When atheists hear of another atheist who shares he is dreaming of elements of religion and spirituality, what do you as an atheist think about that? What does it mean when an atheist is dreaming of elements of religion and spirituality? If an atheist is dreaming of witches in the context of CD forum discussions, then what does that signify, with regards to that atheist's own path of religion and spirituality?

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 09-11-2022 at 10:01 AM..

Old 09-11-2022, 09:53 AM

Moderator cut: Quoted post removed. It has been deleted.

You seem to miss the point here.

When I was a child I had 2 repetitive dreams. One that I was being chased by stumps whose roots were like legs. The other that I was riding a bicycle along a narrow ridge that was only about 3" wide with steep drop-offs on each side. I guess you could define those as visions since they were dreams.

I don't believe in witches or witchcraft. Doesn't mean I can't have a dream about it.

So my question is -- why should any of us be expected to just accept someone's dreams/visions as being reality, as being divinity, as being spiritual?

Last edited by mensaguy; 09-13-2022 at 05:05 AM.. Reason: Quoted post deleted.

Old 09-11-2022, 09:55 AM

Quote:
it's still a great set of questions for Ask an Atheist.
How do atheists view their own dreams which they have which include elements of paths of religion and spirituality?
I have had dreams regarding different things in Buddhism. I accept those dreams as simply reflections of experiences I have had in Buddhist environments, or regarding things I have read in my study of Buddhism. I do not see them as religious/spiritual phenomenon, any more than the myriad of silly dreams I have about a thousands of topics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality