Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2022, 12:16 PM

13,626 posts, read 7,951,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
As long as we now agree that the bible is "not historically factual"...I'm fine.
We don't agree on that at all. However, we can all agree that it is inaccurate to categorize the Bible as "fiction".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2022, 12:27 PM

4,640 posts, read 1,794,579 times
Quote:
As long as we now agree that the bible is "not historically factual"...I'm fine.
LOL! NOT "historically factual"? Even much of history isn't "historically factual"!

You were a teacher for many years, phet. Weren't you teaching that the Native American Indians were scalping the white man...and not that they learned it FROM the white man, because the white man did it to them FIRST?

Didn't you teach that our solar system had NINE planets instead of EIGHT?

Weren't a lot of people taught that the atom was the SMALLEST of things, only later on to discover that, once we *smash* it, a whole bunch of stuff comes out?

Sorry, but this whole idea of "historical fact" boggles my mind. "Factual" history has been re-written time and time again.

I could almost guarantee you, that some of the secular historical "facts" you believe in, even today, aren't even true...

Old 10-20-2022, 12:35 PM

50,860 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
We don't agree on that at all. However, we can all agree that it is inaccurate to categorize the Bible as "fiction".
Oh...that quotation was from you

Old 10-20-2022, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
LOL! NOT "historically factual"? Even much of history isn't "historically factual"!

You were a teacher for many years, phet. Weren't you teaching that the Native American Indians were scalping the white man...and not that they learned it FROM the white man, because the white man did it to them FIRST?

Didn't you teach that our solar system had NINE planets instead of EIGHT?

Weren't a lot of people taught that the atom was the SMALLEST of things, only later on to discover that, once we *smash* it, a whole bunch of stuff comes out?

Sorry, but this whole idea of "historical fact" boggles my mind. "Factual" history has been re-written time and time again.

I could almost guarantee you, that some of the secular historical "facts" you believe in, even today, aren't even true...
I taught science, so no I didn't teach anything about scalping.

Whether Pluto should be a planet or not is still being debated.

So, you're agreeing that the bible is not historically accurate. Cool!

Old 10-20-2022, 12:40 PM

Quote:
I taught science, so no I didn't teach anything about scalping.

Whether Pluto should be a planet or not is still being debated.

So, you're agreeing that the bible is not historically accurate. Cool!
You know I didn't say that...

And as far as Pluto being debated as a planet, it wasn't being debated when *I* was in school. No science teacher EVER said, "It's being debated." As far as THEY were concerned, it was a fact.

Seems to be there are lots of "facts" out there that turned out NOT to be "facts" at all. Even in your secular world.

Old 10-20-2022, 12:46 PM

Quote:
You know I didn't say that...

And as far as Pluto being debated as a planet, it wasn't being debated when *I* was in school. No science teacher EVER said, "It's being debated." As far as THEY were concerned, it was a fact.

Seems to be there are lots of "facts" out there that turned out NOT to be "facts" at all. Even in your secular world.
Here's what you said:

"Even much of history isn't "historically factual"!"

"Sorry, but this whole idea of "historical fact" boggles my mind. "Factual" history has been re-written time and time again."

Old 10-20-2022, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Here's what you said:

"Even much of history isn't "historically factual"!"

"Sorry, but this whole idea of "historical fact" boggles my mind. "Factual" history has been re-written time and time again."

And what's your point? Is it not true that what we sometimes call "facts" aren't "facts" at all?"

Do you seriously believe that this whole world is made up ONLY of "facts"

Physically see, touch, taste, smell, hear, and that's IT?

Last edited by Mink57; 10-20-2022 at 01:33 PM..

Old 10-20-2022, 01:49 PM

Quote:
And what's your point? Is it not true that what we sometimes call "facts" aren't "facts" at all?"

Do you seriously believe that this whole world is made up ONLY of "facts"

Physically see, touch, taste, smell, hear, and that's IT?
Did you never hear a christian say that the bible is factual history?
Did you never hear a christian say that the bible was literally written by god?

Old 10-20-2022, 01:52 PM

13,626 posts, read 7,951,020 times
Quote:
Much of the Bible is factual history. It is not one book, but a library (that's what "Bible" means) of many books encompassing multiple genres.

Quote:
I have heard Christians say all kinds of things that are not necessarily traditionally Christian beliefs.

Old 10-20-2022, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Much of the bible IS factual history. Archaeological evidence proves that, whether to be considered 'biblical' or secular.

Do you believe that once that bible was written, that Christians STOPPED looking for evidence? People are still on the hunt for Noah's Ark...and the Ark of the Covenant. After how many thousands of years, they still haven't given up hope. Many have come before them and claimed, "THIS is Noah's Ark!" The Catholic church didn't simply swallow that claim, nor do they swallow other claims to some 'divine thing'.

The Church doesn't want to be wrong any more than secular people want to be wrong.

And yes, I have heard Christians say that the bible was literally written by God. Then again, what does that even mean?

Written by God's hand? With His 'pen'? On His 'tablet'? His words, written in hand, dictated to someone else?

Does ALL of that really matter?

You've said yourself phet that it's about the message. Christians believe that it matters WHO brought the message... a message that wasn't brought before them. While the message was written, it wasn't written as gospel, UNTIL it was written. Until that point, it was only oral.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality