Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2022, 11:11 PM

88,617 posts, read 84,857,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
This would be in line with Philo of Alexandria who was in and out of Jerusalem in 27-30 CE when Jesus was working his miracles and causing earthquakes and causing zombie saints to rise out of their tombs and march on Jerusalem and Philo doesn't mention Jesus Christ once in his writings.
He was busy counting his dough. GET IT? GET IT?

Old 10-18-2022, 11:59 PM

16,786 posts, read 4,992,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
The billions of people over time convinced of his existence greatly outweigh those arguing that he didn't exist.

That's a reality you can't change either, though we know you'll try

The community of tongues have this for you and your laughable ways:
Why are you mocking those who do not believe in your god (which would include other religions)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2022, 07:57 AM

33,263 posts, read 26,470,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
But I don't care what they think they saw. I only care what they actually saw.
You're missing my point which is that rather than intentionally 'creating' a mythical character based on earlier mythical characters, the apostles actually believed that Jesus was who he claimed to be. And that makes thrillobyte's argument invalid.

Old 10-19-2022, 08:39 AM

13,626 posts, read 7,951,020 times
Quote:
Christians, have you ever wondered why I am allowed to blaspheme God and Jesus over and over and over and over on this forum and still wake up every morning to come on and post some more blasphemous materials? Ask yourselves, "Why doesn't God stop him or take him out?"
No, I haven't wondered. It's because God keeps giving you more chances to confess your sins, take up your cross, and follow Him. It could be not for your own sake, but for the sake of those who love you that God preserves your life. One day you won't wake up though.

Quote:
Oh yes, I know--the inevitable threat, "You'll get yours on the day of judgement."
If you convince yourself hard enough that there is no judgment, maybe you can get out of it.

Old 10-19-2022, 08:40 AM

Thrill,

How do you explain the founding of all of the churches across the Mediterranean in the 1st century? Who was founding these churches, and what was their motivation for doing so?

Old 10-19-2022, 08:41 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,931,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
He was busy counting his dough. GET IT? GET IT?

Old 10-19-2022, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
No, I haven't wondered. It's because God keeps giving you more chances to confess your sins, take up your cross, and follow Him. It could be not for your own sake, but for the sake of those who love you that God preserves your life. One day you won't wake up though.

If you convince yourself hard enough that there is no judgment, maybe you can get out of it.

One day everyone won't wake up, Mike. I know, I know--"At least I am assured of going to heaven and being with Jesus". But have you ever seen Jesus, Mike? Have you ever seen heaven? How do you know they're real unless you accept they are on pure faith and nothing else?

Someone once tried to sell me a bridge in Brooklyn for $10,000. When I asked to see the deed they pulled out a typewritten piece of 8/.5 x 11 which said on top "Deed to Giant Bridge in Brooklyn" and told me that was proof they owned it. I didn't give him the 10 grand but I know a lot, I mean a LOT of people who did. Get it?

Old 10-19-2022, 09:09 AM

Quote:
One day everyone won't wake up, Mike. I know, I know--"At least I am assured of going to heaven and being with Jesus".
I have been given no assurance of that!

Quote:
But have you ever seen Jesus, Mike? Have you ever seen heaven? How do you know they're real unless you accept they are on pure faith and nothing else?
I have seen Jesus with my own eyes, but not in a way that would be comprehensible by all. I have not seen heaven, but maybe caught a glimpse; a shadow or a preview.

When you say "pure faith", I think you mean "blind faith". I would respond that I don't believe my faith to be "blind", but rather to be based on reasonably good evidence.

You ridicule and dismiss "pure faith" as if it weren't a thing desirable in and of itself. A person who lacks faith is "less fully human" in a sense than a person who has faith. To lack faith is to be lacking in a critically important part of the human experience.

Old 10-19-2022, 09:13 AM

50,859 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
You're missing my point which is that rather than intentionally 'creating' a mythical character based on earlier mythical characters, the apostles actually believed that Jesus was who he claimed to be. And that makes thrillobyte's argument invalid.
Well, I guess I don't see your point...but that's okay.
Besides which, there are lots of things that make thrillobyte's arguments invalid.

Old 10-19-2022, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Thrill,

How do you explain the founding of all of the churches across the Mediterranean in the 1st century? Who was founding these churches, and what was their motivation for doing so?

The same way I explain the temples built to Zeus. Lots of people believed Zeus was real and they built temples to worship him.

Last edited by thrillobyte; 10-19-2022 at 09:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality