Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2022, 09:44 AM

16,784 posts, read 4,989,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
And... why aren't you highlighting his mocking of those believing in a God? I know why, because you atheists have one position for yourselves, and a different position for others. You have zero consistency and integrity. Thanks for exposing your ways, as we can all see and read clearly before our eyes.
Actually it is because I stopped reading his long posts weeks ago, the tax man needs my money, so no, you do not know, and your conclusion is based on your ignorance about why I have not responded to Thrill.

May I recommend you find a good optician for your failing eyesight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2022, 09:46 AM

16,784 posts, read 4,989,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Correct. But it does strongly imply that there was some *there* there.
Yes, the Christians existed. But what did they believe? A divine angel as in Paul and Hebrews, or a historical Jesus found in the gospels?

Old 10-19-2022, 09:50 AM

13,626 posts, read 7,946,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Finding simple, unreasonable answers to questions they couldn't fathom.
Thanks.

Old 10-19-2022, 09:50 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,928,456 times
Quote:
But what of their motivations?

The same motives that compelled Paul to build all those churches. It's all part and parcel of the same dynamic. Assume Herodotus had the means. He believed in Zeus as Paul believed in Jesus. He built a temple to Zeus as Paul built churches to Jesus. Both believed in their gods and both wanted to get others to believe in and worship their gods.

Old 10-19-2022, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Yes, the Christians existed. But what did they believe? A divine angel as in Paul and Hebrews, or a historical Jesus found in the gospels?
Mainstream historic Christianity has had no difficulty in harmonizing the Christ of the Gospels with the Christ of Paul's letters.

This is simply not a real problem, but a "problem" of your own making.

Old 10-19-2022, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
The same motives that compelled Paul to build all those churches. It's all part and parcel of the same dynamic. Assume Herodotus had the means. He believed in Zeus as Paul believed in Jesus. He built a temple to Zeus as Paul built churches to Jesus. Both believed in their gods and both wanted to get others to believe in and worship their gods.
Thanks.

Old 10-19-2022, 10:00 AM

11,102 posts, read 7,168,155 times
Quote:
Actually it is because I stopped reading his long posts weeks ago, the tax man needs my money, so no, you do not know, and your conclusion is based on your ignorance about why I have not responded to Thrill.

May I recommend you find a good optician for your failing eyesight.
Apologies if you got lumped in the same boat as Thrill, but it sounded like the same sentiment as coming from him.

I'm glad to say, that if I lost my eyesight, it would only magnify my other senses, including the sense of the spiritual, which agnostics and atheists do no allow themselves to be aware of. In a way, I'd welcome the intensifying of the other senses. All humans can benefit from that, where their eyes work or not. It's the same as with our brains, since we likely only use a small portion of most of the time, but which should be expanded.

Old 10-19-2022, 10:00 AM

33,247 posts, read 26,463,354 times
Quote:
No, you are presuming the apostles wrote the gospels. It is the gospel writers who created the mythical characters, not the apostles, who I agree saw something. The question is what did they see?
I didn't make any statements concerning who wrote the gospels but I do believe that Matthew and John were indeed written by the apostles bearing those names, while Mark and Luke were written by close associates of the apostles. But leaving that aside, regardless of who the actual gospel writers were, the earliest followers of Jesus did see something which they believed was the risen Jesus and therefore it follows that they were not following a mythical character that was based on other mythical characters. Christianity began because Jesus' disciples actually believed that they saw Jesus risen from the grave whether or not they actually did.

Old 10-19-2022, 10:01 AM

50,833 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Thanks.
My pleasure.

Old 10-19-2022, 10:02 AM

50,833 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Apologies if you got lumped in the same boat as Thrill, but it sounded like the same sentiment as coming from him.

I'm glad to say, that if I lost my eyesight, it would only magnify my other senses, including the sense of the spiritual, which agnostics and atheists do no allow themselves to be aware of. In a way, I'd welcome the intensifying of the other senses. All humans can benefit from that, where their eyes work or not. I'm all about maximizing all that we can benefit from, instead of limiting nearly everything.
So will you pray for that to happen?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality