Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2023, 06:56 AM

16,663 posts, read 15,658,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I didn't know that !
But, I really announce I'm NO Bible scholar .
I just see all the positive, loving instructions and am blind to the rest. Christians hate that.
What bothers me more is all the big spaces thrill puts in his posts...so much scrolling...
Sorry, I think I brought that up before...is it for dramatic effect?

What God 'cares' about is WAY, way above my pay grade...and I personally, would never use
the Bible as ANY source for measurement!
The Bible is actually a very weird piece of work...albeit, with diamonds in the rough - pearls beyond measure, actually,
from my experience of applying them
...you could say 'testing them'.

(*Coy was referring to: Who is 'they'...that's like Algebra, 'What is x'? We're adults here.)
My opinion only.
The spaces? He's probably using Firefox. The last update for Firefox created a problem where City-Data posts get two extra spaces between paragraphs. Apparently, it only happens on this old version of vBulletin, which everybody else has upgraded away from, so Mozilla isn't going to do anything about it. The problem isn't present in other browsers, like Chrome, Safari, or Opera. You can remove the extra spaces if you edit them out in preview before submitting your post.

You have a sensible way of looking at the Bible.

Old 04-29-2023, 07:43 AM

18,249 posts, read 16,907,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus'Truth View Post
Jesus was speaking to his Apostles.

And what was he promising his apostles?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2023, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Good grief, thrill. Every Bible scholar knows that the last few verses of Mark were added later. Use a little common sense in your rants.

I'm glad you mention that, mensaguy because you bring out the crux of the problem:

Why do you think the scholars added that text about picking up snake and drinking poison and it not harming them?

Old 04-29-2023, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
The passage of Mark 16:9-20 was included because it is in some manuscripts. The earliest citations of it were referenced by some of the early church Fathers. Some manuscripts contain the Longer Ending (Mark 16:9-20). Some contain the Shorter Ending (which is unversed) and some contain both endings. One 4th century manuscript contains a different ending called The Freer Logion, that would begin after Mark 16:14.

Some believe that because of the abrupt ending to Mark at 16:8 that the original ending may have been lost.

So it's possible that Mark's gospel ended at 16:8...or with one of the 3 other endings...or a completely different ending.

The "they" is the Apostles and the 72 found in Luke 10:17-19. Compare Mark 16:17-18 with Mt 10:1, Luke 10:19 and Acts 28:3-6.

Mink, you're addressing the "how" of the issue. My question was WHY do you think the churchmen added to the text "And if you drink poison it shall not harm you?"

Old 04-29-2023, 08:19 AM

5,527 posts, read 3,247,667 times
I'm sure the OP picked this example because he knew it would be understandable to a large swath of people.

But man, I can't help but chuckle at the idea of God using the Powerball lottery to fund His operations.

If I were God, I would threaten Jerome Powell with hellfire until he created some deposits in my missionaries' pockets with a keystroke. Way more discreet than being on the local news holding a giant cardboard check.

Old 04-29-2023, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
I'm sure the OP picked this example because he knew it would be understandable to a large swath of people.

But man, I can't help but chuckle at the idea of God using the Powerball lottery to fund His operations.

If I were God, I would threaten Jerome Powell with hellfire until he created some deposits in my missionaries' pockets with a keystroke. Way more discreet than being on the local news holding a giant cardboard check.

That's a brilliant idea. Why do you think God doesn't do it?

Old 04-29-2023, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post

Think about it, Avon, a Christian missionary says a prayer, "Lord I humbly pray that you make my Powerball numbers the winning numbers. You know I am trying to spread the gospel of your son, Jesus to the heathen. I promise to dedicate all the money to this endeavor to bring Jesus to the world. I ask this in Jesus' name. Amen"

I have no doubt that thousands of missionaries prayed that prayer with the sincere intention of using the money to spread the gospel of Jesus. Why do you think God didn't answer their prayers?

Old 04-29-2023, 09:14 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Why do you think God doesn't do it?
You give a lot of credit to God messing into our lives. I was of the belief (only a belief),
that He left the whole place to us to manage.
Also, but this I know from exp, there is a Formula for prayer...one part, so not to be mysterious or coy...
for example...if the person, in there unconscious mind has a smidgen of doubt - or
they are holding, also, a subconscious belief they do not deserve what they are asking for, for example ..
Forget it. It won't happen.

Not that this has to do with God ---it's LOA - Law of Attraction ...any atheist can test it...
you've placed a block, you see, for 'the Universe ' to have it come about.
There are books on this The Power of Belief or The Power of the Mind, You Are What You Think, and so on.
(Take God out of the equation entirely - WE have the power to bring things about...believing is so powerful!)

The fun thing is no one has to believe ME ---it can be tested. It's the old:
If you believe you can't; you're right.
If you believe you can; you're right.

*I have Firefox, also ...I preview and fix every post. Not for me, for others.

Old 04-29-2023, 10:28 AM

9,114 posts, read 6,155,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Think about it, Avon, a Christian missionary says a prayer, "Lord I humbly pray that you make my Powerball numbers the winning numbers. You know I am trying to spread the gospel of your son, Jesus to the heathen. I promise to dedicate all the money to this endeavor to bring Jesus to the world. I ask this in Jesus' name. Amen"

I have no doubt that thousands of missionaries prayed that prayer with the sincere intention of using the money to spread the gospel of Jesus. Why do you think God didn't answer their prayers?

Because G-d is not like Amazon. He doesn't deliver whatever and whenever you order something.

You receive what you need albeit the need may be obscured.

But, this discussion is just a York Peppermint Patty for my mind. Some fun, lots of breezy, cool, refreshing filling. Hard to take seriously. Not like a Snickers bar. That has complexity worthy of real thinking about real topics.

Old 04-29-2023, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Because G-d is not like Amazon. He doesn't deliver whatever and whenever you order something.

You mean God is not going to simply deliver money to you to spread the gospel of his son Jesus to unsaved parts of the world? Sheesh, what a dumb God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality