Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2024, 11:50 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by truth_teller View Post
Muslims believe the following abuot Jesus

The Prophet Mahammad (peace_be_upon_him) said:
There is no prophet between me and him, that is,
jesus (peace_be_upon_him).
He will descent (to the earth).
When you see him, recognise him:
a man of medium height,
reddish fair,
wearing two light yellow garments,
looking as if drops were falling down from his head though it will not be wet.
He will fight the people for the cause of Islam.
He will break the cross,
kill swine, and abolish jizyah.
Allah will perish all religions except Islam.
He will destroy the Antichrist and will live on the earth for forty years and then he will die.
The Muslims will pray over him.
Why do you believe a prophet that called himself God is good?

Why do you follow a man who claimed to be prophet, but acted in evil ways, such as killing people and marrying 9 year old girls?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2024, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post
All of which differ from one another, and while I agree more witnesses is generally a positive, when they're all telling different versions of events, it may not be a net positive.
They don't contradict. They may differ on what they emphasize, but they are in agreement.
Quote:
And if the bible has a clear central message over it's 66 books, why do we have Judaism and over 45,000 Christian denominations with slightly different doctrines?
1. Because Judaism only recognizes the first 39 books. And then they place a higher emphasis on their oral tradition than the written one.

2. 45k now? Wow. It's grown. People around here used to say 31k, or 33k. Bottom line is none of that is close to true. That's been debunked long ago. But if you wish to make a claim on a number, please document your claim by providing a list.
Quote:
Neither book shines when it comes down to science either.
The Bible doesn't present itself as a science book. But it does not directly contradict science the way the Quran does.

Old 01-09-2024, 12:14 PM

3,797 posts, read 2,992,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
They don't contradict. They may differ on what they emphasize, but they are in agreement.

1. Because Judaism only recognizes the first 39 books. And then they place a higher emphasis on their oral tradition than the written one.

2. 45k now? Wow. It's grown. People around here used to say 31k, or 33k. Bottom line is none of that is close to true. That's been debunked long ago. But if you wish to make a claim on a number, please document your claim by providing a list.

The Bible doesn't present itself as a science book. But it does not directly contradict science the way the Quran does.
People living for 900 years in the OT does not contradict science ?
That’s before we even start looking more closely at the stories in Genesis.

Old 01-09-2024, 12:47 PM

4,295 posts, read 1,553,748 times
Quote:

1) If they are in agreement, why is Joseph's father in Matthew (1:16) named as Jacob, but in Luke (3:23), he's referred to as Heli? I mean, that's a contradiction. Perhaps Jesus didn't talk to his grandpa very much? The whole genealogies differ in almost every generation. Was Jesus born under the rule of Herod (Matthew 2:1) or when Quirinius was governor of Syria (Luke 2:2)? It can't be both as Quirinius wasn't appointed until 6AD and Herod died in 4BC.

Just because you refuse to see contradictions, doesn't mean they're not there. Even if they're just differing on what they emphasize, I'm not sure two witnesses who put the time of a murder in a trial a decade apart from each other are ever going to be seen as credible.

2) Here's the source for that claim, though I admit looking for the original study that this references has been fruitless. The point stands though, if the message is so clear, why are there so many schisms?

As for it directly contradicting science, Leviticus 11:20-23 seems to claim insects have four legs, the firmament as described in Gen 1:6-8 is obviously not accurate, unless you're a flat earther and there's no archaeological evidence of the exodus or of the Hebrews being in Egypt at any time - that's before we've got to the riduclous claims of the global flood.

Old 01-09-2024, 01:18 PM

3,797 posts, read 2,992,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngel2009 View Post
If anyone reads my posts, they know that I am a follower of the medium and prominent attorney James E. Padgett, who was personally selected by Jesus as the medium who would receive by way of automatic writing his spirit communications of the real truths. The first printed message by Jesus is dated September 12, 1914.

Jesus wrote about his life, who and what is God, what is the Holy Spirit, and the importance of receiving God’s Divine Love in our soul, as he was the very first human to receive it. This is why Jesus is so special. He is like into the Father because Divine Love is the very essence of God.

The messages from Jesus, John, Luke, and many well-known spirits can be read at the Truth for all People website and the book volumes: True Gospel Revealed Anew by Jesus.
Thanks for your views.
I was not familiar with the visions claimed by James E Padgett.
He claims to have had direct contact with Christ himself.
His legacy seems to be more involved in modern day Spiritualism.

https://thepadgettmessages.org/james-e-padgett/

Unlike others claiming to have received visions and/or prophecies, like Joseph Smith or Ellen G White, he is not the founder of any major Christian group as such.

Old 01-09-2024, 01:55 PM

What website did you copy these from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post
1) If they are in agreement, why is Joseph's father in Matthew (1:16)
named as Jacob, but in Luke (3:23), he's referred to as Heli? I mean, that's a contradiction. Perhaps Jesus didn't talk to his grandpa very much?
Do you think no one in the 1st Century stopped to ask this question?

There are a few theories. https://www.gotquestions.org/Jesus-genealogy.html

Quote:

The whole genealogies differ in almost every generation. Was Jesus born under the rule of Herod (Matthew 2:1) or when Quirinius was governor of Syria (Luke 2:2)?

It can't be both as Quirinius wasn't appointed until 6AD and Herod died in 4BC.
Again. Do you REALLY think that anyone reading the Gospels in the 1st Century would be that dumb?

There are once again a few possible answers. This is not a smoking gun to prove a contradiction, either.

https://www.gotquestions.org/Quirinius-census.html
Quote:

Just because you refuse to see contradictions, doesn't mean they're not there. Even if they're just differing on what they emphasize, I'm not sure two witnesses who put the time of a murder in a trial a decade apart from each other are ever going to be seen as credible.
Or, it means that you're reaching to find one where they don't exist.
Quote:
2) Here's the source for that claim, though I admit looking for the original study that this references has been fruitless. The point stands though, if the message is so clear, why are there so many schisms?
Where's the list?

Schisms and divisions happen for many reasons. Sometimes it's as simple as churches wanting to affiliate together for a common purpose, or NOT wanting to affiliate for another purpose. Other times it's because people put personal feelings or cultural issues above Scripture. One example would be churches today that ordain women, or affirm homosexuality. The Bible is clear it's wrong. The United Methodists recently split. A church nearby where I live left the UMC over it. I'd hardly suggest they are their own denomination, but they are independent now.

Another example would be a small group of churches partnering in a "conference". They're not a denomination, but they are partners on a common cause.

My point is that while figures don't lie, liars sure can figure. That claim of 45,000 denominations is bogus. While you and others may like to repeat it without any thought of accuracy, the origin of it is a lie. There are not 45,000 denominations. I'm not calling you a liar, but I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt that you just don't realize it. I'd like to think you would not intentionally misrepresent it. There are a lot of independent churches, and a lot of small conferences, and small denominations. That doesn't mean that they all disagree on the basics.

I'm currently attending an American Baptist Church. I also have been a part of a Bible church, E Free, SBC, and a few others over the years. They all preach the same basic message. For all intents, they could all be the same denomination, other than how they are organized.
Quote:
As for it directly contradicting science, Leviticus 11:20-23 seems to claim insects have four legs, the firmament as described in Gen 1:6-8 is obviously not accurate, unless you're a flat earther and there's no archaeological evidence of the exodus or of the Hebrews being in Egypt at any time - that's before we've got to the riduclous claims of the global flood.
So now you're arguing over what a Hebrew called an "insect" and what scientists today call an "insect"?

Last edited by BaptistFundie; 01-09-2024 at 02:03 PM..

Old 01-09-2024, 02:41 PM

2,765 posts, read 2,664,439 times
Quote:
Why do you believe a prophet that called himself God is good?
Jesus never called him self God
the problem is the wrong interpretation for verses
give me one verse means Jesus is God and i will try to give the correct interpretation

Quote:
Why do you follow a man who claimed to be prophet,
the same way i believe in Moses, Jesus

Quote:
but acted in evil ways, such as killing people and marrying 9 year old girls?
if he did a shameful thing then his enemies would take advantage and kill his reputation
tell me what his enemies response

and regarding killing people give me a case

Last edited by truth_teller; 01-09-2024 at 02:58 PM..

Old 01-09-2024, 07:26 PM

2,065 posts, read 2,160,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
Thanks for your views.
I was not familiar with the visions claimed by James E Padgett.
He claims to have had direct contact with Christ himself.
His legacy seems to be more involved in modern day Spiritualism.

https://thepadgettmessages.org/james-e-padgett/

Unlike others claiming to have received visions and/or prophecies, like Joseph Smith or Ellen G White, he is not the founder of any major Christian group as such.
That’s right. Mr, Padgett was called for one thing - to sit with a pen and paper and allow Jesus and others to write. One important spirit was his wife, who died in February 1914. He was so upset about this and for some reason he thought he could make contact with her if he went to a medium himself. He did get a message from his wife Helen and this is when he learned about his mediumship. She told him in spirit that she could write messages to him. About a month after this, he took his pen to paper and Helen began writing. One of the important things she told him was that they were soulmates. There is everything you need to know about a soul in the messages.

The first message he received from Jesus, he tore it up because he didn’t believe it. He had to be convinced by Helen, his grandmother, and father and mother, all who were spirits. In order to keep the dark spirits away from him while he was writing, his spirit family formed a band around him and they stood watch during the whole time he received messages from 1914-1922.

The writings are so wonderful. Jesus told him many times that he loved him and he was looking forward to the time Mr. Padgett would live close by him in the Celestial Heavens.

As I have posted before, there is no church. The people who I know who have found the truth through Jesus’ messages are very few… that would be the lucky few, because as I keep posting about God’s Divine Love it’s so magnificent. Best way to describe it is the happiness you feel. I can imagine Jesus when he was on earth with so much Love. Several times while he was writing, he poured his love on Mr. Padgett. The spirit band and others who were there to watch had to look away because the bright light shining from Jesus’ soul was almost blinding.

In the past year, I was helping to compile hundreds of the messages for several different books, a few of which have now been published with more to come. Messages only from Jesus will be published this year. Stay tuned and God bless.

Old 01-10-2024, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truth_teller View Post
Jesus never called him self God
He used the divine name "I AM" 7 times in the Gospel of John. He called himself the Alpha and Omega in Revelation. He was worshiped in Revelation 4. He was worshiped various times, and he allowed it.

Would you consider a prophet that allows themselves to be worshiped to be good?

Quote:

the problem is the wrong interpretation for verses
give me one verse means Jesus is God and i will try to give the correct interpretation

John 8:58

Quote:
the same way i believe in Moses, Jesus

if he did a shameful thing then his enemies would take advantage and kill his reputation
tell me what his enemies response

and regarding killing people give me a case
You didn't answer the question. Why did Muhammed marry a 9 year old? Was he a pedophile?

Old 01-10-2024, 08:00 AM

50,762 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
He used the divine name "I AM" 7 times in the Gospel of John. He called himself the Alpha and Omega in Revelation. He was worshiped in Revelation 4. He was worshiped various times, and he allowed it.

Would you consider a prophet that allows themselves to be worshiped to be good?

John 8:58

You didn't answer the question. Why did Muhammed marry a 9 year old? Was he a pedophile?
1. Many people over the course of mankind's history have allowed them be worshipped -- like all the pharaohs, most of the kings, etc. Even...well, the one who must not be named.

2. "allows himself to be worshipped" is such an ego trip.

3. https://islamfyi.princeton.edu/is-it...plary-prophet/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality