Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 02:54 PM

3 posts, read 2,279 times

Advertisements

I have in 1984 . I was in the senior lounge in highschool , I had just gotten there and I noticed the curtains were closed . I pulled the string that slid the cutains aside , letting in the sunlight , I said to my self " God , what a beutiful day " , I looked up in the sky and a hand reached across the sky , into the window I was peering out and a few of the fingers tips went through my chest area , like a hot knife through warm butter . It did not hurt , I felt instant bliss , warmth , a kind of loving feeling that is hard to explain . The hand was aprox 8 feet wide , by the time it reached the window pane that was 9 feet tall and tinted . The hand receated back into the sky as quickly as it came . This all happened in the matter of seconds , but left an indullable impresion that gave me concrete evidence of weather GOD truly exists . brycyns@gmail.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 03:12 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,449,222 times
What I'm reading are experiences that could have any number of explanations that are not supernatural in any way.

I always wonder why Christians only pray for things that have a chance of occurring without supernatural intervention. Why not pray for someone's house that burned down to reconstruct? Why not pray for a lost body part to regenerate? Why not pray for time to turn back?

I think we all know instinctively which things can and can't happen, and no one prays for things that can't.

Old 01-20-2014, 06:13 PM

3 posts, read 2,279 times
Default Mostly i pray for inocent children

I do not go to church , but i ask got to look after the children of the world , to have food clothing and shelter . I never asked for god to reach out to me . My life has always been in service to others , without any thought of anything in return .

Old 01-20-2014, 10:43 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
I always wonder why Christians only pray for things that have a chance of occurring without supernatural intervention. Why not pray for someone's house that burned down to reconstruct? Why not pray for a lost body part to regenerate? Why not pray for time to turn back?
I think we all know instinctively which things can and can't happen, and no one prays for things that can't.
Why on earth would anyone expect God to do anything that would violate the very laws God has established????

Old 01-21-2014, 05:21 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Why on earth would anyone expect God to do anything that would violate the very laws God has established????
To show 'he' is above and in control of the 'law'?
What 'he' established, 'he' can alter.
If that was not so, wouldn't 'he' be subject to the law of creation?

Old 01-21-2014, 08:06 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
To show 'he' is above and in control of the 'law'?
What 'he' established, 'he' can alter.
If that was not so, wouldn't 'he' be subject to the law of creation?
Then why doesn't God ever alter anything meaningful?

I find it amazing how people can claim that God literally got off his pearly throne to manifest here on earth to a specific person just to do some trivial thing.

Once people begin making claims of individual experiences involving God, we then merrily skip along into the idea that God plays favorites. Some people are more "worthy" than others and thus they get weekly visits from God while everyone else is still scratching their heads wondering if God even exists.

Sometimes I think people who make such claims need to explore their own ego before they look to the spiritual for the answers. If I ever received a "visit" from God, I'd probably end up dismissing it as a hallucination on the grounds that God would have no reason to single me out for some divine revelation, epiphany, etc. I would feel too arrogant and conceited to even think that the creator of the universe came to me in my bedroom ...

Then again, God does seem to take a particular interest in what goes on inside of bedrooms, so maybe my skepticism is off the mark.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:00 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,983,404 times
I've had several encounters over my life. Most can be explained by skeptics as a hallucination or some other mind trick although I am well aware of what was going on. The only one I know of sort of happened to me but I was not aware of it at the time. I was staying in a rough area in an eastern city. I was living in the basement of a church. I had missed the last bus to where I needed to go and only made it on public transportation as far as about a mile from my destination. Walking back to my room, I heard some noise behind me. It was one of the local gangs following me about a block behind me. They were making comments about what a ****** was doing in their neighborhood. They gradually closed the gap and about 3 blocks from the church I figured I was going to be jumped, probably beaten up if not killed. For some reason they stopped. I went on into the church, went to my room and went to sleep.

The next day a woman came to the church and asked to see me. When I appeared she asked if I was the white guy who walked to the church last night. When I admitted that I was, she looked me up and down and said that I didn't look all that intimidating or tough. She then asked me where the other white guys went. I told her I was alone and she said that her brother was in that gang. They were planning on robbing me and beating me up but just as they got ready to jump me, several really big white guys stepped out of the alley and started walking with me. When that happened the gang decided to stop and let me go. She said all of us went into the church and wanted to see the guys that scared the gangsters so badly.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:26 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I'm not referring to the beauty of nature or a pretty sunset in the OP. I'm also excluding a feeling or emotional experience within your own mind. What I'm really asking is if anyone has experienced an event with their own senses in which they could see, hear or otherwise sense a physical activity that they could only attribute to God. This would include such things as hearing an audible voice or seeing something so out of the ordinary realm of everyday events that they are convinced it was a manifestation of God. Also, if someone has had this kind of experience is there any other possible explanation for it or do you believe you can exclude that possibility.
Yes, but that is all I would ever say on this forum.
(And even that is too much)

Gee where is Mary Baker who tells her story over and over...she's in her 80s and
had an event at 14.
I'll try to post her link about it maybe, for public view, on an NDE site....but it wasn't an NDE.

Here it is... Site Map

Last edited by Miss Hepburn; 01-21-2014 at 10:10 AM..

Old 01-21-2014, 09:58 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Then why doesn't God ever alter anything meaningful?
Of course, I know what my answer to that question is but as far as you questioning me on my post, I was only giving Mystic a possible answer befitting the ordinary believer's claim.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:19 AM

20,005 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
I find it amazing how people can claim that God literally got off his pearly throne to manifest here on earth to a specific person just to do some trivial thing.
Or even some non-trivial thing ... most notably preventing someone from going to work at the WTC on 9/11/2001, which begs the question why he didn't prevent everyone from going to work that day, or prevent the hijacker's success, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality