Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 02:24 PM

22,920 posts, read 28,268,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
What I'm really asking is if anyone has experienced an event with their own senses in which they could see, hear or otherwise sense a physical activity that they could only attribute to God.
We Catholics have a physical manifestation of God in every Mass: the Eucharist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 07:53 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,632 times
Quote:
I'm not referring to the beauty of nature or a pretty sunset in the OP. I'm also excluding a feeling or emotional experience within your own mind. What I'm really asking is if anyone has experienced an event with their own senses in which they could see, hear or otherwise sense a physical activity that they could only attribute to God. This would include such things as hearing an audible voice or seeing something so out of the ordinary realm of everyday events that they are convinced it was a manifestation of God. Also, if someone has had this kind of experience is there any other possible explanation for it or do you believe you can exclude that possibility.

My brother had osteomylitis - the x-ray clearly showed it. My dad prayed and prayed, my brother was healed. The next x-ray showed it had gone!

My dad has seen a spiritual manifestaiton - though it was not a good spirit, but an evil one. He had never seen anything before or since.

My husband, who is not a christian, heard the guitar in my daughters bedroom play a few notes by itself. (I was out of the house at the time).

When I was 10, I felt God telling me that a boy over the road was going to die - at 3 am. He had Cancer and was terminally ill. I was not aware of this, but I remember clearly coming down the stairs and hearing how the boy over the road had died....when I asked what time....I was told it was 3 am.

There is a spiritual realm....without doubt....

Old 07-16-2008, 12:24 PM

2,595 posts, read 4,439,773 times
Yes, when I was in my teens, I was angry with life and with God. I said to God one day while in my bedroom "Life is just a game, I will play my part and at the end of this world you can figure it out!". Just then it was like someone had put a pot over my head and started banging on it. "I heard the words "Life is not a game". "Lord is that you!", I replied. I was really freaked out.

Another time when I was in college. I was laying in bed and decided to pray. As I was praying I felt a presence in the room. "God is that you?", I said. Just then I felt in the corner of my eye (where the tear duct is) a tiny pook like the tip of a needle. Then I felt like a string the thickness of a spegetti noogle wind it's way into my head. It was a strange feeling. I then started to laugh. A hard deep laugh. It was like somebody told me a joke that was really funny, but I couldn't remember what the joke was. That was it... I guess that God sometimes just wants to have some fun with his children.

Old 07-16-2008, 08:18 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,338,677 times
Quote:
I'm not referring to the beauty of nature or a pretty sunset in the OP. I'm also excluding a feeling or emotional experience within your own mind. What I'm really asking is if anyone has experienced an event with their own senses in which they could see, hear or otherwise sense a physical activity that they could only attribute to God. This would include such things as hearing an audible voice or seeing something so out of the ordinary realm of everyday events that they are convinced it was a manifestation of God. Also, if someone has had this kind of experience is there any other possible explanation for it or do you believe you can exclude that possibility.
During a time of meditation, I physically felt a sharp pain in my side that immediatley had me thinking of the roman soilder's sword peircing Christ's side.
It disturbed me and I later mentioned it to my spirtitual director who tried to helped my discern it's relevence
We did not dwell to long on it, and it never came up again.

Old 07-17-2008, 08:32 AM

3,162 posts, read 11,436,372 times
I've been really pondering about posting because spiritual experiences are something really private, because when you share them with others they loose a part of them.

I'll just say that Yes, I've experienced them, most go beyond senses, but I've been surprised to the point of shock sometimes with my physical and limited senses, sometimes in meditation, sometimes in everyday life, and sometimes in the state that is between sleep and awareness.

Old 07-18-2008, 01:55 AM

613 posts, read 1,270,359 times
i believe seeing/hearing/feeling/smelling/tasting are evidence of a physical manifestation of god. ...........theres been a few times usually at random where i felt i was inserted entirely into a "collective consiousnes"....hard to explain i guess...and probably a delusion...but its really cool

Old 07-18-2008, 12:04 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,384,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
As I was praying I felt a presence in the room. "God is that you?", I said. Just then I felt in the corner of my eye (where the tear duct is) a tiny pook like the tip of a needle. Then I felt like a string the thickness of a spegetti noogle wind it's way into my head. It was a strange feeling. I then started to laugh. A hard deep laugh. It was like somebody told me a joke that was really funny, but I couldn't remember what the joke was. That was it... I guess that God sometimes just wants to have some fun with his children.
!!!
*red flags*

Old 07-18-2008, 12:38 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,436,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allah truth View Post
i believe seeing/hearing/feeling/smelling/tasting are evidence of a physical manifestation of god. ...........theres been a few times usually at random where i felt i was inserted entirely into a "collective consiousnes"....hard to explain i guess...and probably a delusion...but its really cool
If your faith and devotion are strong enough it isn't a delusion, it's a state of spiritual union with our creator

Old 07-18-2008, 09:40 PM

249 posts, read 532,066 times
Default And they keep swearing by what is no God.. Now will occur the confounding of them

Quote:

The bible clearly teaches that each one of us a physical manifestation of God.. but that some of us don't know it..

---

"They have not known, and they do not understand; In darkness they keep walking about; All the foundations of the earth are made to totter. I myself have said, 'You are gods, And all of you are sons of the Most High." - Psalms 82:5

Christianity.. in general.. may teach something different.. but this is of little importance.. it is what the bible teaches that really matters. And the bible teaches that our - body - IS God's temple (and not the church).

---

“Do you not know that you people are God's temple, and that the spirit of God dwells in you? If anyone destroys the temple of God, God will destroy him; for the temple of God is holy, which temple you people are."

"Jesus Christ himself is the foundation cornerstone. In union with him the whole building, being harmoniously joined together, is growing into a holy temple for God. In union with him you, too, are being built up together into a place for God to inhabit by spirit."

1Corinthians 3.16 + Ephesians 2:20

---

Jesus was just showing us the way.. by teaching.. God is a - spirit - potentially.. inside us all.. the spirit of loving kindness.. righteousness.. justice.. wisdom.. peace.. truth and freedom.

In Jesus.. this spirit was made manifest.. in the body of a man.. though his words and his actions.

In spite of popular opinion.. there is nothing supernatural about such an idea.. the writers were simply bringing the idea of God down to earth.. by artfully redefining it.. and thereby.. establishing the idea of God.. in peoples' hearts and minds.

Mean-while the priests in the temple were teaching that God was up in heaven.. and only they could intermediate for the people.. for a price.

The prophets saw the priests as being comparable to "prostitutes".. who sold themselves ONLY for money.. while the temple was seen to be like a brothel.

So.. they judged organized religion.. and found it guilty..

---

“How can I forgive you for this very thing? Your own sons have left me, and they keep swearing by what is no God. And I kept satisfying them, but they continued committing adultery (unfaithful towards God), and to the house of a prostitute woman (the temple) they go in troops.” - Jeremiah 5:7

---

“Her own head ones judge merely for a bribe, and her own priests instruct just for a price, and her own prophets practice divination simply for money; yet upon God they keep supporting themselves, saying: "Is not God in the midst of us? There will come upon us no calamity.

Their best one is like a brier, their most upright one is worse than a thorn hedge. The day of your watchmen, of your being given attention, must come. Now will occur the confounding of them.”

Micah 3:1 & 3:11

William Blake.. who was well read in the bible.. explained this idea of God.. in much greater depth..

----

"God isn't up there, you know! Sitting in judgment, as it were, on a cloud with a long white beard, inventing awful rules so people feel guilty all the time, and so on and so on. That's somebody else, entirely. God is within. It's man who is without; Cosmic Man. Now if you don't understand that, don't worry, you're in good company, besides, you'll get the point eventually; I mean by the time your dead, when your spirit will become so agile that you'll find that you can leap from star to star in a single stride.

Oh there are of course people who would dispute that: mathematicians, philosophers, engineers, like Arch Wright, scientists, like Newton. Isaac, bloody, Newton. He's a most perfect symbol of that oppressive and roughness spirit, which is the governing force in our society, and an embodiment of that cosmic spirit, who holds our world in direst subjugation, and who with terrible laws oppresses us all, and sticks us down, and makes us know our bloody place.

Many people worship this horrible abomination and call it God; a good god and just one. They're wrong of course, for if this good god were in fact just, as they suppose, the world he created would be just too. The world isn't just. Society isn't just. Far from it!

I'm not usually so emotional, so volatile. I mean people usually get the impression I'm a steady sort of fellow with a mystical turn of mind and an actually discernable hallow. I'm often rather sorry to disappoint them. Of course what such people don't take into account is that our identities are never constant; we're changing all the time from the cradle to the grave.

When people are young they want to overthrow what's gone before, but when they're old they want to confine everything with laws, to bind and snare and trap. Their inner conservatism creates a political conservatism, which in turn creates the iron authoritarism of our present society and the stifling, choking unfairness of it all.

I've personified this force and given it a human form, his name is Urizon. He's the old man with the long white beard I was telling you about before. Who then can destroy him? Is there anyone? Anyone at all?

The question's not rhetorical, for I have also conceived another figure in everlasting opposition to the former, youthful, fiery, sparks flying from his flaming red hair. Ork, the demon of ungovernableness. The spirit of revolution.

I see it as an everlasting struggle between two contradicting spirits; a struggle between the state and those who would destroy the state, which neither side can ever really win.

All right! Look at it this way; imagine a desert, a red sun in a slate grey sky. Two figures locked in combat, their feet kicking up clouds of dust. One of the figures is old, he has a long white beard, and tearing at his throat is a boy, sparks flying from his flaming hair. Sometimes the man has the upper hand, sometimes the boy, but neither can ever triumph over the other...."

William Blake

-

Blake would have probably had a higher opinion of Newton.. if he had been aware that Newton also studied the bible.. along with alchemy.. intensively.. but was too embarrassed to confess these interests to the scientific community.

For Blake.. to isolate reason from imagination.. was a cardinal sin.

In Blake's mind.. God was the Human Imagination.

The creative spirit.

-

Last edited by accelerator; 07-18-2008 at 09:48 PM..

Old 07-18-2008, 10:00 PM

201 posts, read 964,326 times
I have had some experiences through meditation. My 1st was many years ago during a reiki session. A few things happened that were just too "true" feeling or coincidental to ignore.

I also experience something regarding the number 1111. If you do a web search on 1111 you'll find info on it.

In general I make an effort to be aware of little coincidenses that seem to happen in my daily life that I believe are both manifiested on purpose and naturally occuring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality