Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 10:01 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,466,717 times

Advertisements

Karrsquest,

Congratulations on your new job as well as your "deconversion".

I do have a couple of statements/questions though... You do realize that if people are brainwashed by something that it doesn't necessarily make the ideology a truth or untruth, right? If we look at the people of North Korea we realize that they are generally brainwashed into thinking that their leader, their country, the notion of Communism, etc... etc... are all horrible ways of thinking, acting, and living in comparison to ours. Yet, it does not make the ideology of Communism any less true nor does it make Kim Jong Il any less true. It is certainly understandable to look at something such as religion or political ideologies and say "Why WOULD I want to worship that?!" But, it does nothing to prove or disprove the existence of said things.

If we are to approach things from the angle of "I do not like it therefore I do not believe it" then it is not a very rational or logical argument in and of itself. I don't like dentist drills but I certainly realize they exist.

Now, don't get me wrong, I do not believe in God (any Theistic or Deistic God). I really don't think I'd like the idea of one existing either but that doesn't make them non-existent, right? In this sense, you could say that I am an "anti-theist". In essence, if a theistic God did exist and it was proven to me that it was a specific deity I would not find him worthy of worship. Anything that should be feared, is in my opinion, not worthy of worship.

However, this still does not answer the question of whether or not one exists. In order to answer that question, you have to look at the evidence. Now, when I speak of evidence, I am speaking of scientific evidence; not people claiming they feel God's presence or that there was no way something could have been done without the help of God. These are claims but do not constitute evidence. Most of the arguments that deal with the proof of existence of God are organized complexity arguments based on the anthropic principle or teleological arguments that essentially say "The universe is so complex and organized that only something 'bigger' than the universe could have had a hand in it." or "The universe is so fine-tuned that were it slightly different in any regards we would not be here." Yet this does not constitute evidence based on observational reality only evidence based on "Wow factor" or "arguments from incredulity."

What I'm getting at is that you have to have faith to believe in God because there is no direct evidence to support his (or her) existence. People from all over the world find ways to correlate things in their life as special signs, messages, etc... to make their God reality but ultimately they are making that postulation on faith.

Therefore, I am an Atheist until scientific evidence can conclusively determine that a God exists. And if tomorrow I open up the newspaper and the Large Hadron Collider in Europe smashed an atom together and found God then that's wonderful. You could call me a believer but it doesn't mean you'll call me a worshipper.

I guess what I'm trying to say or ask is if you made the decision to be an Atheist because you dislike the idea of God (still believe - you just don't like the idea in the same way you still believe in Kim Jong Il but find him distasteful) or because you lack the sufficient evidence to postulate the existence of such a thing that one might call God? Overall, what are your evidentiary standards for accepting the idea of God as well as refuting the idea of God?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 10:22 PM

7,628 posts, read 10,976,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karrsquest View Post
I do wish for a day in which people become more understanding of the non believers, homosexuals, races, and just people being diffrent as a whole.
I wish for a day when people would actually read their Bible and find out what it is really saying. Most non believers are people who have not done their homework. And so it is hard to be understanding of people who are clueless. They come here with preconceieved ideas that are false, and then use non logic to support their position. And when strong evidence is presented to them that supports the Biblical account, they ignore that evidence.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:43 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,623,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coosjoaquin View Post
Why would you try to scare something you don't believe in?
Why are you twisting what he's said?
I'm just poking a little fun at the blasphemy challenge crowd. They take one verse out of context and make their point that they don't believe in any God using orthodox Christianity as their point of reference. I'm making the point back that Jesus' one comment concerning what the corrupt religious leaders of his day did does not equal their "I deny" statement. They take one sentence from the vast writings of one theistic sect and use that to deny the existence of any creator whatsoever.

Plus to say you cannot think or doubt as a believer is way off target, even though I admit that in many branches of Christianity thinking is discouraged. No argument from me there.

It's just my viewpoint and an observation - not trying to twist anything.

blessings,
- Byron

Old 07-24-2008, 10:55 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,019,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
I wish for a day when people would actually read their Bible and find out what it is really saying. Most non believers are people who have not done their homework. And so it is hard to be understanding of people who are clueless. They come here with preconceieved ideas that are false, and then use non logic to support their position. And when strong evidence is presented to them that supports the Biblical account, they ignore that evidence.
This is untrue. The majority of atheists and agnostics have done their homework and even know their bible better than many Christians. Alot of nonbelievers used to even be religious themselves. There is no strong evidence to support the bible nor evidence at all so there's no evidence to ignore. I think it may be hard to be understanding of someone who purposely decides over and over again to be clueless about nonbelievers and science in general.

Old 07-25-2008, 01:16 AM

553 posts, read 569,058 times
Glad to know you took your mind back. My deconversion began around the time I read a book by a popular Christian author titled Disappointment with God. What was supposed to be a book that was to encourage me in the Christian faith actually started the process of corroding it in my mind.

As said by Agnostic Soldier:

Quote:
This is untrue. The majority of atheists and agnostics have done their homework and even know their bible better than many Christians. Alot of nonbelievers used to even be religious themselves. There is no strong evidence to support the bible nor evidence at all so there's no evidence to ignore. I think it may be hard to be understanding of someone who purposely decides over and over again to be clueless about nonbelievers and science in general.
Not sure about the "majority," but I have noticed that the most dangerous and threatening unbelievers are those who were once staunch supporters of the Christian faith (the apostates) and actually took that faith VERY serious and for those, there are many. They know the pre-packaged, regurgitated responses before they are even said. They know the apologetic answers popularized by the Norman Geislers and Josh McDowells of the world. Some are well versed in the bible, down to even the boring parts (the "begets") that many Chrsitans themselves skip over. They bascially know the walk and know the talk hence the reason why they have been demonized from as far back as the early church; called dogs who have returned to their vomit, "anti-christs" and souls that are eternally lost and can never again be restored back to God.

These types are like that baseball hitter that knows every pitch a pitcher will throw because he was once on the same team with the pitcher and may have even been his catcher. They know what's coming. They know when it's going to come and how it's going to come and always hit the pitch square on.

Old 07-25-2008, 02:31 AM

3,770 posts, read 10,582,285 times
Knowing the Bible from cover to cover does not make one a true Christian,I myself,have a lot to learn in the Bible in both the Old and the New Testament,however I do love the Lord with all my heart and mind and want to follow in His ways. When I read the Bible things are clear to me because I know His word is true and it serves as a guide for every day living. Once we leave the Word ,stray from the reading of the Bible,we become lost souls.

Reading the Bible and staying in the word is important on a daily basis,we should want to learn about His love for us and have Heavenly aspirations and not worldly desires. When we put our trust in man and not God there starts a falling away process that is perilous in nature and once that happens there is a hardening of the heart a falling away from God that is like a point of no return

Old 07-25-2008, 05:24 AM

33,567 posts, read 37,175,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
Knowing the Bible from cover to cover does not make one a true Christian,I myself,have a lot to learn in the Bible in both the Old and the New Testament,however I do love the Lord with all my heart and mind and want to follow in His ways. When I read the Bible things are clear to me because I know His word is true and it serves as a guide for every day living. Once we leave the Word ,stray from the reading of the Bible,we become lost souls.

Reading the Bible and staying in the word is important on a daily basis,we should want to learn about His love for us and have Heavenly aspirations and not worldly desires. When we put our trust in man and not God there starts a falling away process that is perilous in nature and once that happens there is a hardening of the heart a falling away from God that is like a point of no return
You know this how? Have you ever "fallen away" from the bible? I have no faith nor belief in the bible being true or the word of god, and yet my family have admonished me many times as being too soft hearted. I seem to have a difficult time saying no to those in need, be it my time, skills or financial help that is needed.

I believe the state of a person's empathy has nothing whatsoever to do with god or following his so called good book.

Old 07-25-2008, 05:52 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,242,359 times
Originally Posted by sanspeur
Quote:
I believe the state of a person's empathy has nothing whatsoever to do with god or following his so called good book.
But would you also be too soft hearted if your own family showed less empathy and / or if you’ve had a traumatic childhood?
What I mean is:
Is empathy a product of nature or nurture?

Old 07-25-2008, 06:04 AM

7,999 posts, read 12,285,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karrsquest View Post

if you even questioned your faith, you will not be saved.

Christianity teaches us doubt =

June could be very wrong here, but within the very concept or definition of "faith" wouldn't the concept/notion/definition of "doubt" also be implied?

In other words: without "doubt" June doesn't understand how "faith" in and of itself would even exist.

Old 07-25-2008, 06:15 AM

33,567 posts, read 37,175,863 times
I cannot say where my empathy stems from. My childhood was less than ideal to say the least, (long story) and I certainly did not learn empathy from my parents. Perhaps it was a result of not wanting to follow in their footsteps. I don't think it is entirely nurture, because I see siblings in my extended family, some who are very selfish and others who are the opposite. I guess I'd have to put it more into the realm of nature, although life experience and education on the subject play a big part as well.

What do you think..nature or nurture?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality