Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 08:34 AM

389 posts, read 1,986,458 times

Advertisements

the OP's statement actually confused me. how can u accept Jesus and at the same time deny the Holy Spirit? it is beyond conceivable...

i too am confused with the Holy Trinity of God, but my sis who has gone on diff religion coz she too wants to know more of the bible that she has read.. told me:

Holy Trinity of God is just like our father. he is our father and at the same time a grandfather, a brother, a husband, a friend... you get my drift...? We are only one but we have diff roles in lives.

so you accepting Jesus at the same time deny the Holy Spirit is like you accepting your father but at the same time deny the fact that he is someone's brother, a husband, a friend...

and how can you question Holy Spirit's "existence".. it is not meant to be seen it is meant to be felt. is there a spirit that u can literally touch? i wonder..

Last edited by LBSer; 07-25-2008 at 09:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 08:35 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,939,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinbalad View Post
Wow, if one thought lost can shatter a whole belief system, then I guess that belief system was set u on a shaky foundation ot begin with.
It's because in many christian sects there is too much emphasis on the supposed inerrant nature of the bible, the reasoning is that unless 100% of it is true then it can't be inspired by god. They are setting themselves up with such thinking.

Quote:
It is through the constant refinement of our doctrines (through refelction and debate with others or ourselves) that we become a sharpened spear by which to thrust into the devil's doctrine of the "me generation" or the "self is god" and other such heresy. This is the prevalent doctrin of the media, hollywood, and pop culture, it is the self worship that has supplanted worship fo the God trinity.
You know that not every christian necessarily believes in the trinity. Why must there be someone to blame for not believing the same as you?

Old 07-25-2008, 08:45 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,886,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karrsquest View Post
Luke 12:I0

any one that speaks a word against the son of man will be forgiven, but anyone who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will NOT be forgiven.

Mark 3:29

Who ever speaks blaspheme against the Holy Spirit can never have forgiveness, but is guilty of an eternal sin.

There it is twice!

Denial of the Holy Spirit WILL NOT be forgiven do not pass heaven, straight to hell. According to the bible so if you even questioned your faith, you will not be saved.
Can you please explain to me how you make the leap from "if you even questioned your faith" to "blaspheme against the Holy Spirit"?

Those things are very, very, very far from the same.

If that's what you're walking away on, it's thin ice. Blasphemy and doubt aren't even close to being synonymous, friend.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:41 AM

2,957 posts, read 7,383,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Can you please explain to me how you make the leap from "if you even questioned your faith" to "blaspheme against the Holy Spirit"?

Those things are very, very, very far from the same.

If that's what you're walking away on, it's thin ice. Blasphemy and doubt aren't even close to being synonymous, friend.
So how far is one allowed to go in their doubt of the Holy Spirit?
I imagine you are allowed to doubt it, but if that doubt leads you anywhere besides faith in it, then you're committing blasphemy, right?
Blasphemy and doubt are not synonymous, but not so far apart as you make them sound.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
I imagine you are allowed to doubt it, but if that doubt leads you anywhere besides faith in it, then you're committing blasphemy, right?
No, b. frank, I do not agree with that statement.

It's my belief that blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is more of an 'executive denial' a denial and hardening of the heart to a place that nothing, absolutely nothing, would ever or could ever change your mind.

In short, I've always said that if you're even remotely concerned or even remotely wonder if you've committed this sin, then you haven't.

That's my belief. I don't believe God ever shuts the door based on a past mistake.

Maybe this blasphemy against the Holy Spirit only occurs if this non-belief is carried into death.

I'm not throwing scripture at you to proselytize, just to show you what I mean.
It is impossible for those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, who have shared in the Holy Spirit, who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the coming age, if they fall away, to be brought back to repentance, because to their loss they are crucifying the Son of God all over again and subjecting him to public disgrace. Hebrews 6:4-6

If anyone sees his brother commit a sin that does not lead to death, he should pray and God will give him life. I refer to those whose sin does not lead to death. There is a sin that leads to death. I am not saying that he should pray about that. All wrongdoing is sin, and there is sin that does not lead to death. I John 5:16-17

Old 07-25-2008, 10:20 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,458,259 times
Quote:
GCSTroop, you are right, but you are basing the lack of something (the existance of God) on something He created, therefore you should be able to say, yes, any scientific explanation should be taken as evidence of a creationistic God. Have you ever studied, and I mean really studied the marvel of the world and the creatures in the world (I speak of only the world because we don't know what is really out in the universe). If you study things like humans and biology and chemistry and such other things including genetics and "evolution", you might find there is a ton of lacking knowledge in those subjects. I know a lot of people who got an introductory course in college and thought they knew it all. I am a physician who has in brevity studied the body and these other sciences. It is simply amazing to me how one can look at such things and not see a hand of creation at work. A masterpiece of design, a perfect harmony of atoms and interactions. How does the brain work, how do emotions work, how does the single celled organism "evolve" into human beings? All these questions are giant leaps of scientific faith, a faith so many are so ready to accept, and yet the answer to them lies in one thing, the existance of a God who put them all together.

Better yet, you should be asking science these questions, and you will find so many holes in their answers it isn't funny.

The devil is good at casting doubt in God but placing blame where ever it should not be, for instance in science, created by God but thought by humans to be their own invention.

A doubting Thomas you are, but blessed is he who believes and has not seen!

Ah yes... The God of the gaps argument. Actually, it seems to me that if there is a designer than he's pretty bad at what he does. There are two sides of looking at nature. The wonderful and fascinating way it interacts and the horrible and egregious "design" flaws. I like to look at both. It seems people always want to point out the wonderful things about nature and use it as God's handiwork but so often forget the design flaws in it. Isn't it the Andromeda Galaxy that we are on a collision course with? Some design! People wearing glasses? Some design! By the way, could you explain defecation? Some design!

Old 07-25-2008, 10:29 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,644,605 times
Quote:
I do wish for a day in which people become more understanding of the non believers, homosexuals, races, and just people being diffrent as a whole.
Here here, I strongly agree with you.

Old 07-25-2008, 01:16 PM

56 posts, read 102,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
I wish for a day when people would actually read their Bible and find out what it is really saying. Most non believers are people who have not done their homework. And so it is hard to be understanding of people who are clueless. They come here with preconceieved ideas that are false, and then use non logic to support their position. And when strong evidence is presented to them that supports the Biblical account, they ignore that evidence.

Get your facts straight, most belivers have not read the bible. I sir have read it front to back. Dont even get me started on the bible. FUN FACTS 1. earth dose not revolve around the sun. 2. the earth is not 6,000 years old. 3. Dinosaurs where not planted by satan, and 4. noahs arc is scientifically impossible. 5. adam and eve = insest= all white kids= no other races. 6. whe bible is a false hope and I have read it, it explains nothing a real all knowing god would of provided, instead it was writen 40-50 years after jesus died. **** If I saw all the crazy **** happening that is in the bible I would be writing it down daily.

Oh and dont judge before knowing

Old 07-25-2008, 01:20 PM

Quote:
FUN FACTS 1. earth dose not revolve around the sun. 2. the earth is not 6,000 years old. 3. Dinosaurs where not planted by satan, and 4. noahs arc is scientifically impossible. 5. adam and eve = insest= all white kids= no other races. 6. whe bible is a false hope and I have read it, it explains nothing a real all knowing god would of provided, instead it was writen 40-50 years after jesus died.
Oooook.

I think your 'fun facts' are about as biblically back-able as your assertion on the doubt = blasphemy thing.

In particular, let me just say, if you believe this:

whe(sic) bible is a false hope and I have read it, it explains nothing a real all knowing god would of provided, instead it was writen 40-50 years after jesus died
then you are far, far beyond any help I might be able to offer.

Have a great day!

Old 07-25-2008, 01:45 PM

446 posts, read 552,662 times
OK folks, blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is simply this, to deny that the trinity in its wholeness is not a present and real entity. The Son of man was on the earth for a very short period of time, and although it is silly to admit he didnt exist as a person, some would argue this line of thought.

However, the Holy Spirit is the entity left in the world to help guide people toward the Father. The evidence of the Holy Spirit is all around, in the miracles of every day life all the way to the saving grace that God gives to the new belieiver. It is only through the Holy Spirit that someone can come to believe in God in the first place (I can explain if you need me to).

Ultimately, denying the HS is the process by which peopel find their path to hell. It is through this denial (and acceptance of the devils work in self, new age-ism, old religion, etc) that people are committed to a life of damnation in hell to live with the one who they have chosen.

Blaspheming the HS has nothing to do with doubting one's faith in the Lord. However, denying the Lord his rightful spot as the creator of life and the giver of eternal life, that is blaspheming the HS.

I don't expect this to really clear the muddy waters, as the HS has granted wisdom to those whom it has granted it, and the eyes of those who have not received are blinded to the truth. Again, a topic I can explain if needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality