Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 09:47 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,622,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
Ah, but my love, you need to know this, as well:

The Tao that can be pontificated is not the Tao, either!

Yes, but it goes beyond that...

There's a saying that "first you learn the rules, then you forget them". For someone who has never been exposed to Taoism or its Canon, they cannot just assimilate the knowledge from hanging around a scholar. They need to learn - to read, discuss, argue, debate, criticize and test. Only then will they make the Taoist philosophy real and useful. Too many potential Followers of the Way want to be "authentic" - they'll eat only rice and veggies, don some robes and read the Idiot's Guide to Taoism, then think that they've hit upon the Cosmic Truth...

As Fighting for Air mentioned, there are many similarities between Christianity and Taoism. There are also many differences. It's all in the perspective.

Mooney - DM me if you have any specific questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 09:52 AM

3,814 posts, read 6,785,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
Yes, but it goes beyond that...

There's a saying that "first you learn the rules, then you forget them". For someone who has never been exposed to Taoism or its Canon, they cannot just assimilate the knowledge from hanging around a scholar. They need to learn - to read, discuss, argue, debate, criticize and test. Only then will they make the Taoist philosophy real and useful. Too many potential Followers of the Way want to be "authentic" - they'll eat only rice and veggies, don some robes and read the Idiot's Guide to Taoism, then think that they've hit upon the Cosmic Truth...

As Fighting for Air mentioned, there are many similarities between Christianity and Taoism. There are also many differences. It's all in the perspective.

Mooney - DM me if you have any specific questions.
DM you? I think I've tried that before, but I'll try it again.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:02 AM

321 posts, read 920,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja View Post

one of my favorite pieces of Tao is

Those that know do not speak
Those that speak do not know
Fantastic! Eckhart Tolle refers to this Tao specifically, along with several others throughtout his books - I've been looking for it in local bookstore but no one carries it. Amazon versions show various translations, etc - any particular translation better?

Thanks

Old 09-23-2008, 09:19 AM

22,178 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wktully View Post
Fantastic! Eckhart Tolle refers to this Tao specifically, along with several others throughtout his books - I've been looking for it in local bookstore but no one carries it. Amazon versions show various translations, etc - any particular translation better?

Thanks
hello, yes i have a favorite translation, when i get home tonight i will look it up and post which edition it is. It is worthwhile to read several translations because they vary widely and wildly, the translator imparts their own flavor.

So find one that resonates emotionally with you, whose tone matches your truth, like a beautiful bell or chime. I consider it a match when i read something that begins to give me a sense of calm, a feeling of peace, a softening inside like muscles relaxing and stress dissolving.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja View Post
hello, yes i have a favorite translation, when i get home tonight i will look it up and post which edition it is. It is worthwhile to read several translations because they vary widely and wildly, the translator imparts their own flavor.

So find one that resonates emotionally with you, whose tone matches your truth, like a beautiful bell or chime. I consider it a match when i read something that begins to give me a sense of calm, a feeling of peace, a softening inside like muscles relaxing and stress dissolving.
Thank you I was online with Amazon this morning ordering something and I decided to just pick one - ordered the Gia-Fu Feng/Jane English translation. However, it sounds like I'll have to read several to find one for me. Finding those words that speak to my spirit is indeed releasing. Stop the mind and rest in stillness.

Old 09-24-2008, 08:47 AM

3,814 posts, read 6,785,076 times
The translation that I have describes the Tao as the Great Integrity. The great power that has created all. To be aligned with the Tao is to be one with everything. I don't have the book in front of me, but when I do I will post some of my favorite verses.

Thanks everyone for posting, maybe we should do a discussion on some of the verses and what we interpret as their meanings. I would love to get all of your views, they help me learn!

Old 09-24-2008, 01:27 PM

249 posts, read 609,863 times
Quote:
- ordered the Gia-Fu Feng/Jane English translation.

This one is my personal fave.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:43 AM

Quote:
the Gia-Fu Feng/Jane English translation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting For Air View Post
This one is my personal fave.
Looking forward to reading it!

Old 09-25-2008, 08:07 AM

22,178 posts, read 19,221,727 times
the one i have is the Stephen Mitchell 1988 (?) printing
quite a few are actually available online free now in their entirety to get a flavor for different ones

i love The Tao of Pooh also

Old 09-30-2008, 06:05 AM

I've received my copy of the Tao and have started reading through it - really beautiful - I really like Eight:

The highest good is like water
Water give life to the ten thousand things and does not strive
It flows in places men reject and so is like the Tao

In dwelling, be close to the land
In meditation, go deep in the heart
In dealing with others, be gentle and kind
In speech, be true
In ruling, be just
In business, be competent
In action, watch the timing

No fight: No blame

How do other translations write this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality