Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 03:27 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,627,765 times

Advertisements

Refugee56 wrote:
Quote:
He tells me that worldly issues are unimportant and petty. He is only interested in Godly things and worshiping the Lord.

Is he the way everyone should be?
No, no one should be shut off from the world. Worldly issues like hunger, war, poverty, and concern for the well being of your fellow man are hardly petty issues. I guess he works so he won't starve to death but a good meal is certainly a worldly thing as well as having a roof over your head. I do feel that certain individuals get a very warped perception of the role that religion should play in their lives. I don't think it's very common because the majority of the population at least in America is religious and the great majority of them are very much involved in so called worldly things like politics, economic issues, the well being of family members, etc. I think you're describing someone who is troubled and out of touch with reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2008, 07:11 PM

7,998 posts, read 12,277,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee56 View Post

He tells me that worldly issues are unimportant and petty. He is only interested in Godly things and worshiping the Lord.

The one and only question I would ask him would be "Wasn't Jesus somewhat 'engaged' in the world when he walked this earth? He seemed fairly 'involved' with others and those around Him..."

June's best response, but what does June know?

Take gentle worldly care.

Old 09-30-2008, 07:23 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,514,650 times
JMHO..I don't see how anyone, believer or non believer, can withdraw from the world..That is like hiding in your house and peeking out the window at the hungry and homeless, the sick, the ones suffering from war, and natural disasters and saying.."I am no part of the world", as you fix a meal for your family or sleep in a bed under the protection of a decent place to live, provided to you by the money you made from the world.. We are the world and I believe that believers or not it is our obligation to help make it better..That, imo, is part of the work of God that He expects of us..

Old 09-30-2008, 07:25 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
he is interested in worldly things that is why he is at work, in the world. we all are.
if he eats if he pays rent, he is worldly to some extent.

Old 10-08-2008, 06:55 AM

414 posts, read 777,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee56 View Post
I have a friend at work who is not concerned with pretty much anything. He is completely cut off from the issues of the day or interpersonal or politcal events in the office. He is not concerned with the news of the election or the economy. He rarely socializes with anyone outside of church.

Is he the way everyone should be?
Refugee:
You started this thread with beautiful words: "I have a friend..." "... at work..."
We all may have a need to understand inner and outer connections, and very often we have been missing the utter beauty thereof.
May the happy day come when all of us recognize each other as "a friend at work ...".

Old 10-09-2008, 04:21 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,668,826 times
As long as he's doing his job, he doesn't have to associate himself with other sinners.

I don't even believe going to church is necessary...keep as separate from other people as possible. People are bad, people will try to hurt you.

Old 10-09-2008, 04:23 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,668,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
he is interested in worldly things that is why he is at work, in the world. we all are.
if he eats if he pays rent, he is worldly to some extent.
If a man will not work, he shall not eat.

There's a phrase similar to that in the OT. Work has a value, keeping our bodies nourished, while our souls await their communion with God.

Old 10-09-2008, 10:25 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
I would ask him why he's currently employed. If he's so concerned with not living in the material world than he shouldn't be worried about providing for himself, his family, or anything else. Surely his church would take him in. Hey, if he wants to talk the talk he better walk the walk too. Not concern yourself with this world? Go ahead. Prove it.

What right do any of us have to be the grand questioner. They seem to like to stir the pot. He doesn't have to justify himself to anyone and Idon't think the OP was suggesting this.

Old 10-11-2008, 03:25 AM

378 posts, read 626,563 times
It would be a completely different world if everyone was like that. It would certainly cut-down on crime. And truthfully, those things are petty. Human-made things are worthless because they ultimately fade away. But the things of the Spirit (like God) are eternal.

Old 10-11-2008, 02:31 PM

126 posts, read 299,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17271 View Post
It would be a completely different world if everyone was like that. It would certainly cut-down on crime. And truthfully, those things are petty. Human-made things are worthless because they ultimately fade away. But the things of the Spirit (like God) are eternal.
I agree,it's a shame more people aren't more concerned w/Godly/spiritual matters rather than worldly garbage.Just imagine what a wonderful place this would be!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality