Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 07:51 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,756,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
I have another story which I'm sure you are aware of, where God sent me a balloon with a message printed on it saying, (I LOVE YOU).
Wow, poor god. He's really hit a low spot. He used to appear in massive pillars of fire and do awesome things like parting entire seas and turning rivers to blood, but now he's relegated to grilled cheese sandwiches and I LOVE YOU balloons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 07:59 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,974,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
Wow, poor god. He's really hit a low spot. He used to appear in massive pillars of fire and do awesome things like parting entire seas and turning rivers to blood, but now he's relegated to grilled cheese sandwiches and I LOVE YOU balloons.
My God was born in a stable, if thats good enought for Him, His message on the Balloon is good enought for me.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:54 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,923,337 times
Default Back and Forth, Logic, then No Logic: which is it?

Your point about the tiny beginning point-origin is interesting, but still, science is simply trying to explain an origin based on observable facts, like a known-to-be expanding universe.

We're not relying on an old myth written by a bunch of illiterate folks.

Remember those old teaser questions in school: "If Train A leaves the station at 9:30am going 45 mph..." etc.

Well, since we can see Train A going down the track now, at 45mph, I guess it's reasonable to assume that, at some earlier point, it was not as far down the track, right? It was closer to it's point of origin, right?

Ditto with the universe. Since it has now been carefully measured by Hubble in several key directions, (not imagined, as you seem to suggest scientists do a lot), and various parts of it are known to be moving away from a calculatable origin point at a measurable speed, it seems rational to say it might have started somewhere, a point source.

So far that's all science has suggested, but then that whole PREDICTION thing gets into full swing, and we say "If it DID start at this tiny point, and is expanding now at a certain rate, what would we now see?" And we go look, and BINGO, we find the exact sorts of things we'd expect to find ....

IF OUR ORIGINAL UNPROVED, UNTESTED HYPOTHESIS WERE, IN FACT, TRUE.

See, that's how science works, Tom. No mystical guess-work, no "I sure wish it would work out like THIS" , and then some fudging of the data.

We have a growing body of knowledge to support our ideas, and/or make adjustments to it as we find better data. Minor adjustments or corrections neither invalidate nor toss the entire thing out as you so fervently hope.

Re: The Ark though: just at it's most basic, the growing body of evidence refutes it, for many simple and logical reasons. You do like and use logic, right?

1) you say there's been no evolving of any new species since Genesis. Whatever's here now was on that boat. Plus whatever we've found such as T-Rex fossils, thousands of them.

2) we know there are currently a minimum of 30 Million types of animals on this plant, none of which could have gotten here by Evolution according to you, so we know that there had to be a whole lot more than the 35,000 animals that some pseudo-scientist has wishfully suggested.

(of course, even 35,000 on that boat would have been, frankly, impossible. BTW, by your simplistic fairy-tale version of two of each, given sexual reproduction requirements, that would then only allow for 17,500 animal types. Not enough, Tom. Not enough.)

3) we know there would have been no remaining food resources or untainted water upon their return to a soggy de-flooded earth.

So, ergo, no matter what you'd like to think about science's logical thinking processes, at least they're logical, and by that you have to know that this Ark never happened.

Something else did happen, else none of us or the other animals would not be here. Through a step-wise Q&A procees that is known for it's exacting and thorough methodology, we'll eventually get to a much more likely scenario. We have a lot of it figured so far.

Of course, regarding Point No. 1 above, we now also know, irrefutibly, that the process of Evolution does, in fact, work. so we know that part of your little fable's also in error. how much more of it is wrong?

We put it all together and what can we conclude, Tom?

You make the classic mistake of mixing logic in when you want to (Observations by guys who you do choose to believe, but not the findings of a lot more guys you don't want to believe).

As in: the mention of wooden parts, cages and other evidence, which have since been discarded by far more valid and reproducable means (later precise remote sensing images that prove it's made out of rock, as well as the visits by actual geologists who said there was nothing remarkable about this rock formation).

Then, at that point, you toss out an unsupportable "color comment" about how science says we all started from an improbably tiny point, "and how believable is that"?

You suddenly applying logic here, Tom?

Hmmm.... The selective use of logic or story lines to suit the moment.

Better be careful. Remember the OP here; "Noah's Ark - How'd That Happen?" No magic allowed, unless we then all agree to agree on The Flying Spaghetti Monster. Which is fine by me.

Have a good day!

Old 05-27-2009, 01:00 PM

179 posts, read 537,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
Global

God can still make animals...
Everyone died but the family of Noah...

May be easier, doesn't make it so.

How do dead people keep a record?

Not if they died.

It actually supports that it was global, the only record found was from the only family that lived through it.

godspeed,

freedom
it simply scares me to see that there are 'actually' people in the world who think and believe things like you!

you are just.....WOW! lol

Old 05-27-2009, 02:52 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,923,337 times
Default Poof The Magic Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimatetruth View Post
it simply scares me to see that there are 'actually' people in the world who think and believe things like you!

you are just.....WOW! lol
Now now, remember, Ultimate... this is the Magic Kingdom. Long as we hold to that idea, ANYTHING's possible! Logic only messes things up!

"Magic" even successfully answers the OP without raising a sweat. "It all just Happened!"

See! Easy!

Last edited by rifleman; 05-27-2009 at 03:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality