Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 05:43 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,906,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Thats because the public school system taught you from K-12 being gay is no different than brown hair or black sin, which is absolutely not the case. God created everyone, but everybody has free will to live their life how they choose. More and more people are choosing to be homosexual because it has become so acceptable in our society.
Actually bchris, that's entirely incorrect. A lot of assumptions in your post. I grew up in one of THE most homophobic countries on the planet AT THAT TIME and I can guarantee you that being gay certainly wasn't something that was encouraged in the school system but then neither was God.

Being homosexual isn't about choice it's about biology but I'm guessing that you won't buy that as an idea. And as I mentioned before I'm still not convinced about this "free will" that everyone keeps bandying about. And nothing personal but God didn't create me, heterosexual and all as I am, because I don't believe in God. So **shrug** guess we don't agree on a lot of things.

Old 11-10-2008, 06:12 AM

348 posts, read 502,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Thats because the public school system taught you from K-12 being gay is no different than brown hair or black sin, which is absolutely not the case. God created everyone, but everybody has free will to live their life how they choose. More and more people are choosing to be homosexual because it has become so acceptable in our society.
Think it through (thru) -- You're saying, then, that as more and more people are choosing to be gay -- then your god made us all BISEXUAL in the first place, which was rather perverse of him.

Whilst I may agree that many people have the potential to be gay or straight according to circumstances, I think you see things in regular black and white. So you're being inconsistent when you say that masses of straight folk are suddenly seduced by the newly-acceptable (?) glamour of being gay. Does this apply to you, too?

Either way - who devised our human sexuality to be as fluid as you say it is in the first place? Was your god just playing games with us again? He seems to be very fond of such frivolity - he gives us choices, but then damns us to hell if we make the wrong ones.... To me that's a bit sick.

Brian

Last edited by brianrees; 11-10-2008 at 06:21 AM..

Old 11-10-2008, 07:33 AM

3,689 posts, read 10,420,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Fair enough. Well I'm not sure I believe in Free Will so I can see how we see this differently.

I think a lot of people live their lives that way, I know I do my best to also. Except that as an athiest I'm not really leaving a final judgement to God. I just accept that what will be will be. You live and you die, no finally or ongoing judgement.

Not sure I understand you here.
Meaning that it's not your place to cast judgement on those seeking equality in marriage for all?

Or...................?
yes, it is not my call to pass judgement

Old 11-10-2008, 08:03 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,441,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Nope sorry Nikk, not buying it. HE, according to all I've read and heard, created it all. Are you saying HE didn't? Interesting and incredibly selective.
God created everything.

But it is peoples choice to reject God and his good to go after their own imaginations.

I am not selective.

Homosexuality is an act. It has nothing to do with genetics.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:10 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,441,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianrees View Post
Think it through (thru) -- You're saying, then, that as more and more people are choosing to be gay -- then your god made us all BISEXUAL in the first place, which was rather perverse of him.

Whilst I may agree that many people have the potential to be gay or straight according to circumstances, I think you see things in regular black and white. So you're being inconsistent when you say that masses of straight folk are suddenly seduced by the newly-acceptable (?) glamour of being gay. Does this apply to you, too?

Either way - who devised our human sexuality to be as fluid as you say it is in the first place? Was your god just playing games with us again? He seems to be very fond of such frivolity - he gives us choices, but then damns us to hell if we make the wrong ones.... To me that's a bit sick.

Brian
Free choice is an amazing thing. That is why it is written "wide is the path to distruction" and "narrow is the path to life".

Old 11-10-2008, 08:14 AM

43 posts, read 88,965 times
Default oLD GUY

I come from the age group that was taught that homosexuality was perversion and that homosexuals were as perverted as child molestors and those that had other nasty habits-necrophiliacs etc. We were taught that it was a learned behavior as opposed to genetic behavior.

Now, we have people saying that it is a genetic issue so as to say that the person has no control over this attraction to the same sex. Has this gne been mapped yet? Are there differences in the brain or brain wave patterns that are identifiable?

I understand where the gay community wants all of the rights and responsibilities of the regular community. Should it be a legislative issue though? I do not see where the opinion of religous people of any of the major religions is going to be changed by protesting. I also believe that they have rights that the gay community is trying to over-ride. Whether teaching that homsexuality is normal or teaching that it is an abomination is the right of the parent.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:33 AM

33,559 posts, read 37,160,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITEWOLF508 View Post
I come from the age group that was taught that homosexuality was perversion and that homosexuals were as perverted as child molestors and those that had other nasty habits-necrophiliacs etc. We were taught that it was a learned behavior as opposed to genetic behavior.

Now, we have people saying that it is a genetic issue so as to say that the person has no control over this attraction to the same sex. Has this gne been mapped yet? Are there differences in the brain or brain wave patterns that are identifiable?

I understand where the gay community wants all of the rights and responsibilities of the regular community. Should it be a legislative issue though? I do not see where the opinion of religous people of any of the major religions is going to be changed by protesting. I also believe that they have rights that the gay community is trying to over-ride. Whether teaching that homsexuality is normal or teaching that it is an abomination is the right of the parent.
Yes, differences in gay and straight brains have been recorded.

I think it is a legislative issue. Not having the same rights as the rest of the population is in violation of human rights laws and discriminatory.

What rights of the religious are gays trying to over-ride? As a parent it is your right to teach your children what ever you want, although eventually they will decide for themselves what is right or wrong...What would you do if one of your children is gay? Would you consider him/her an abomination?

Old 11-10-2008, 08:46 AM

418 posts, read 708,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
Maybe, if we keep shoving down the Christian throwt, that there is a separation of Church and State, Then the state needs to get out of the Church and refrain from defining marriage. Marriage is a God institution. One man and one woman under God. Any homosexual couple can get a civil union. That is state. But why do they want a marriage? Because they want us and God to say that their sinful way is OK. Well, it is not.
The only fair thing to do, in following Separation of Church and State is to also get rid of the title "marriage" for men and women as recognized by the government. Call them all Civil Unions, and keep "marriage" as a title given by your church. This way, everyone is equal if you won't allow the same marriage title from the government for gay marriages.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:32 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,492,023 times
I dont really understand gay people. I find the idea of a man being with a man absolutely repugnant. Having said that, i would rather gays be able to marry than to intermingle religion and law. Basing law on religious belief is even more repugnant to me.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:51 AM

348 posts, read 502,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
I dont really understand gay people. I find the idea of a man being with a man absolutely repugnant. Having said that, i would rather gays be able to marry than to intermingle religion and law. Basing law on religious belief is even more repugnant to me.
My late father might have said the same thing at one time, but after I came along he had to try and accept me as a 'repugnant' gay son, and learn to treat me just like my four 'straight' brothers and sisters.

He might have struggled to overcome the same sort of prejudices you still display, and to his credit, he learnt to be more accepting.

Let's hope you would follow my father's example if you were 'unlucky' enough to raise a gay son, or maybe you wouldn't have a problem with people calling him, too, 'repugnant'?..... the problem would be yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality