Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2008, 05:17 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,374,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
Ahhhh, but we live and exist in the physical world, in the eternal world one does not need such physical attributes.
Now is the time to prepare to meet God!

We take with us into the eternities the consequences of our choices in this mortal life, and our learning and character, not the food we ate. From my point of view preparing for forever is much more important than preparing for tomorrow in the physical world, though it's smart to do both.

But I respect your beliefs and way of life, I'm just responding to your criticism of my church constructing and operating buildings that can make possible eternal advancement and learning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 05:26 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,654,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTR1dotOrg View Post
Now is the time to prepare to meet God!

We take with us into the eternities the consequences of our choices in this mortal life, and our learning and character, not the food we ate. From my point of view preparing for forever is much more important than preparing for tomorrow in the physical world, though it's smart to do both.

But I respect your beliefs and way of life, I'm just responding to your criticism of my church constructing and operating buildings that can make possible eternal advancement and learning.
CTR1dotOrg, although I don't believe in your religion I do respect the fact that you have one and do not misunderstand questioning for criticism. I was not criticizing the building of your temples I was questioning why. One can learn many things without it being confined to four walls, that's why it's best to have an open mind and learn about all aspects of different religions and cultures, that is why I question, I don't criticize and you would be very surprised as to what I do know about your religion, I find it interesting that you have the Angel Moroni as your icon and I have very much enjoyed our conversation. osay

Old 12-10-2008, 05:33 PM

464 posts, read 1,741,244 times
Are Mormon Temples Christian - A biblical perspective

Old 12-10-2008, 06:54 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
The Temple on the island of Oahu

Bogota Colombia Temple

Cardston Alberta Temple

Newport Beach California Temple

Caracas Venezuela Temple

Boston Massachusetts Temple

Bountiful Utah Temple

Old 12-10-2008, 07:10 PM

702 posts, read 2,295,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
The heartburn I get is that, with the exception of their neighborhood churches, the "unwashed" (non-Mormons) can't come into their temples to view the architectural aspects of these buildings or partake in their ceremonies. I mean, even Ann Romney's parents could NOT come into the temple to see their daughter marry Mitt, the Ken doll.
There is a lot of commentary on this very thing on the exmormon.org message board.

A church should be an open, welcoming place for any and all. Otherwise it's a cult. The Mormon Church is rolling in money and wealth, despite all of their humanitarian charity.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:23 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnord View Post
A church should be an open, welcoming place for any and all.
Oh but it is open. Its just that at some point, members who wish to enter into the Temple must live by a higher code of conduct. Perhaps some other churches should try asking its members to live more prudent and spiritually based lives. Who knows how much the world would improve?

Quote:
Otherwise it's a cult.
Otherwise, its different and people don't want to understand so instead they resort to namecalling and fearmongering.

Quote:
The Mormon Church is rolling in money and wealth, despite all of their humanitarian charity.
This doesnt make much sense? We can't spend hundreds of millions of dollars on humanitarian aid and build nice temples at the same time?

Old 12-10-2008, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowDeDo View Post
What took place in the temple in Jerusualem was appropriate to the Mosaic law. The sacrifice of animals was representative of the Savior to come who would sacrifice himself for us.

Christ has already come, he fulfilled the Mosaic law. So I don't understand your point in linking to a website operated by people who are not faithful members of the LDS Church and who apparently on the page you link to are trying to put down the Latter-day Saints because LDS temples do not function the same as did the Jewish temple in Jerusalem.

Do you care to explain the purpose of your link?

Old 12-10-2008, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnord View Post
A church should be an open, welcoming place for any and all.
LDS meetinghouses are open on Sundays and all are welcome and invited to attend our services and see for themselves what we do inside those buildings.

Mormon.org - Home

Old 12-11-2008, 04:57 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,453,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
Ahhhh, but we live and exist in the physical world, in the eternal world one does not need such physical attributes.
that is according to your belief though. there are people that believe differently.

mormons believe that Christ commanded baptism and various other ordinances as a literal action, not as a metaphor. those things take place, generally, in specifically appointed places.

that is pretty much it. other people believe other things. some of them think that baptism is all in your mind. they're perfectly free to believe that as far as i am concerned.

you have ended almost every post here with something that is important for people to understand. you say, "i just don't understand the need..."

it is a difference of belief and a difference of opinion. we are not always going to understand each other, despite how much we might try. that doesn't make the opinions and beliefs of others without value. it just means that they are different.

there is nothing wrong with admitting that we don't understand something, or that we don't believe the same way.

unfortunately, some people take that lack of undestanding a step further than 'i don't get it', and go directly to the 'you must be a cult, or a devil-worshipper'. such thinking only shows how small their own personal world is, if they are not capable or willing to admit that the universe doesn't revolve around their own *limited* perspective.

aaron out.

Old 12-11-2008, 06:48 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,654,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
that is according to your belief though. there are people that believe differently.

mormons believe that Christ commanded baptism and various other ordinances as a literal action, not as a metaphor. those things take place, generally, in specifically appointed places.

that is pretty much it. other people believe other things. some of them think that baptism is all in your mind. they're perfectly free to believe that as far as i am concerned.

you have ended almost every post here with something that is important for people to understand. you say, "i just don't understand the need..."

it is a difference of belief and a difference of opinion. we are not always going to understand each other, despite how much we might try. that doesn't make the opinions and beliefs of others without value. it just means that they are different.

there is nothing wrong with admitting that we don't understand something, or that we don't believe the same way.

unfortunately, some people take that lack of undestanding a step further than 'i don't get it', and go directly to the 'you must be a cult, or a devil-worshipper'. such thinking only shows how small their own personal world is, if they are not capable or willing to admit that the universe doesn't revolve around their own *limited* perspective.

aaron out.
stycotl, yes, I fully understand that it is according to my belief and that there are also other different cultures, religions, and beliefs besides my own, however I also feel that it is necessary in order to be able to get along with each other it is best to try to understand a little bit about each other's beliefs, so that is why I asked the questions that I do. It gives me the opportunity to find out a little more about each and every other religion, culture, and belief, that way, even though I do not agree with all of them, at least I understand and can respect them. I believe this is something that we should all do regardless of what our belief, or culture or, religion may be. The biggest reason for the animosity between the major religions is a lack of understanding, if they were to sit down and talk with one another in a respectful way, who knows, they may learn to respect one another. osay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality