Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2008, 11:49 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,386,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsavvy View Post
Whaoh CTR, slow down there. Ptsum has dealt with your misconceptions and underlying tones towards his people in a very dignified way.

A mormon temple and a sweat lodge, you really want to compare them?
What "misconceptions" and "underlying tones" might those be? For all you know I might be quite familiar with Native American culture and tradition. So please explain where I am in the wrong from your point of view.

LDS temples and sweat lodges, regardless of the difference in physical structure, are constructed for religious purposes, within each cleansing rites take place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
I like the Mormon people to, I certainly know enough of them. I don't like the mormon church. Nice people can join cults too ya know. Just like Jim Jones followers and Branch Davidians followers were nice people. It is the leaders who are wicked.
Please confirm that you are not referring to the leaders of the LDS Church as being "wicked" thanks.

Old 12-15-2008, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Disregard the Christian tesitmony, but this is full of factual evidence

Native American people do not come from Hebrew lineage.
I suggest to those who are interested in this so-called "issue" that they also look at the facts presented by scientists who are members of the LDS Church or who don't have a stake in putting down the Mormons. Try this link in addition to the information referred to on You Tube that is presented by an anti-Mormon group:

http://www.fairlds.org/Book_of_Mormon/DNA_and_the_Book_of_Mormon.html

Lehi, the prophet who led the group from Jerusulem to the Americas about 600 BC was not a Jew, he was from another tribe. DNA is not relevant to the Book of Mormon, it's just another desperate attempt by anti-Mormons to discredit the Latter-day Saints, or more probable, to make money selling anti-Mormon media.

Mormon.org - Home

Old 12-15-2008, 12:24 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,144,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTR1dotOrg View Post
Please confirm that you are not referring to the leaders of the LDS Church as being "wicked" thanks.
Why ?

Old 12-15-2008, 12:30 PM

594 posts, read 1,047,446 times
Quote:
Why?
Seems a little disrespectful don't you think? I think Mormons are misguided, but wicked?

Old 12-15-2008, 12:34 PM

14,724 posts, read 33,492,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMcNabb View Post
LDS churches are just like other Christian churches in that they are open to all. But if you think most churches today are open 24 hours a day so that people can simply walk in, you haven't been testing many doors lately.
I meant your temple in the middle of SLC, the one you can't go into when you're unluckily on a 5-hour Delta layover in Salt Lake before catching another flight.

Let's not nitpick about the 24-hour thing. Churches keep daytime hours. You can walk into the St. Peter's in Rome, St. Paul's in London and the Greek Orthodox cathedral in Athens. Therefore, I have a problem with any (Christian?) sect where I cannot walk into ANY ONE of their places of worship.

Old 12-15-2008, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Why ?
Because if you are calling the Lord's living Apostles and Prophets "wicked" then I think a lot of people, including perhaps the moderators on this board, would respond to that slander; unless of course you can provide valid proof that those men are indeed wicked men. Please either do that or state that it is not your intention to malign the leaders of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Old 12-15-2008, 12:54 PM

3,814 posts, read 6,803,038 times
Quote:
What "misconceptions" and "underlying tones" might those be? For all you know I might be quite familiar with Native American culture and tradition. So please explain where I am in the wrong from your point of view.

LDS temples and sweat lodges, regardless of the difference in physical structure, are constructed for religious purposes, within each cleansing rites take place.

We are discussing the matter of an LDS temple being a very large structure that glows in the sky for miles around, costing a lot of money. A sweat lodge is built in a very humble way costing no money. That's why we don't understand why you need a structure that cost's so much money, when the money could be used to feed a few more hungry mouths.

If you believe that Native Americans come from the son of Lehi (who came to the "new world" from Jerusalam) named Laman who was cursed with dark skin because he rebelled against his righteous younger brother Nephi and hence his people were called Lamanites, who in the modern day world would be called Native Americans. Then I think you are dead wrong.

Old 12-15-2008, 01:05 PM

3,814 posts, read 6,803,038 times
Quote:
I suggest to those who are interested in this so-called "issue" that they also look at the facts presented by scientists who are members of the LDS Church or who don't have a stake in putting down the Mormons. Try this link in addition to the information referred to on You Tube that is presented by an anti-Mormon group:

http://www.fairlds.org/Book_of_Mormon/DNA_and_the_Book_of_Mormon.html

Lehi, the prophet who led the group from Jerusulem to the Americas about 600 BC was not a Jew, he was from another tribe. DNA is not relevant to the Book of Mormon, it's just another desperate attempt by anti-Mormons to discredit the Latter-day Saints, or more probable, to make money selling anti-Mormon media.

Mormon.org - Home
Actually the youtube clip did have a mormon anthroplogist who spoke quite often. The movie was put out by a Christian organization who says a little spill the last five minutes of it, but doesn't try to sell anything, at least not that I saw. Was it anti-mormon? I didn't think so, but I guess you would disagree with that.

Old 12-15-2008, 02:22 PM

Quote:
We are discussing the matter of an LDS temple being a very large structure that glows in the sky for miles around, costing a lot of money. A sweat lodge is built in a very humble way costing no money. That's why we don't understand why you need a structure that cost's so much money, when the money could be used to feed a few more hungry mouths.

If you believe that Native Americans come from the son of Lehi (who came to the "new world" from Jerusalam) named Laman who was cursed with dark skin because he rebelled against his righteous younger brother Nephi and hence his people were called Lamanites, who in the modern day world would be called Native Americans. Then I think you are dead wrong.
I think I and others already addressed in this thread your concern about the cost of building temples and the fact that Latter-day Saints are huge providers of charitable relief all over the world. But obviously you have a fixed opinion on the matter and perhaps think that there should not be any magnificent buildings in this world, perhaps not even state and federal capital buildings?

If you were familiar with the Book of Mormon you would know that the Nephites and Lamanites sometimes blended in with each other completely, for even as long as 200 years when everyone was acting in a righteous manner. You might also be aware that there were many more people in MesoAmerica than Nephites and Lamanites.

If you are still going on about the DNA thing, I suggest that you actually read the information at the link I provided, it's quite enlightening on the matter. Here is the link again:

DNA and the Book of Mormon

But I appreciate your interest in the Book of Mormon and the religious beliefs and practices of the church I choose to be a member of. Enjoy the day.

Last edited by justamere10; 12-15-2008 at 02:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality