Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2008, 08:44 AM

3,257 posts, read 6,144,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Since 1830 when it became available again on this planet, the Church of Jesus Christ has only been investigated and prayed about by relatively very few people. Those who investigated thoroughly and sincerely and followed correct principles of gathering spiritual knowledge found out for themselves that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is what it claims to be.
Planet? So you do believe that God and Jesus reside on another Planet? Not another realm but just another planet. GO past pluto and hang a left?

Interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 09:50 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,386,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
Planet? So you do believe that God and Jesus reside on another Planet? Not another realm but just another planet. GO past pluto and hang a left?
Interesting.
That's an interesting way of interpreting my message, hopefully you don't do the same with scriptures.

My mention of "this planet" was a reference to this earth we live on.

But yes, I do believe that there is a specific celestial world where our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ make their home. Some people might call that "heaven".

Old 12-17-2008, 10:25 AM

3,257 posts, read 6,144,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTR1dotOrg View Post
That's an interesting way of interpreting my message, hopefully you don't do the same with scriptures.

My mention of "this planet" was a reference to this earth we live on.

But yes, I do believe that there is a specific celestial world where our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ make their home. Some people might call that "heaven".
That's cool. It's just usually heaven is thought of as a place that only exists on other plain. Not a tangible location like a seperate planet.So you believe my dead loved ones are 2 light years away in heaven. If i take a rocket can i get there?

I think most churches teach that heaven is not something tangible in this lifetime.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
That's cool. It's just usually heaven is thought of as a place that only exists on other plain. Not a tangible location like a seperate planet.So you believe my dead loved ones are 2 light years away in heaven. If i take a rocket can i get there?

I think most churches teach that heaven is not something tangible in this lifetime.
My understanding of "tangible" is something that can be detected by the use of any of our physical senses. So, no, heaven is not "tangible".

I believe that mortals have both a physical and a spirit body, similar to a hand within a glove, the glove being the physical body, the hand being the spirit body that animates and integrates the physical.

After death, the physical disintegrates and is buried in the earth to await the resurrection. The spirit body, fully aware, goes to a temporary place LDS call the "spirit world". That world I believe is made of much finer (spirit) matter and exists close to this physical world normally undetected by our physical senses.

So, no, the rocket won't help you get to the spirit world and your deceased loved ones unless of course it is involved in a fatal accident.

Old 12-17-2008, 11:00 AM

594 posts, read 1,047,446 times
Quote:
After death, the physical disintegrates and is buried in the earth to await the resurrection.
Why does the physical need to be resurrected?

Old 12-17-2008, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatManDoo View Post
Why does the physical need to be resurrected?
It is my belief that life, the universe and everything is a family matter.

I believe that the spirit that animates earthly bodies was organized by a loving Heavenly Parent, God the Father. We are in a state of evolving towards becoming like our Heavenly Father in whose image and likeness we were created.

Father has a glorious resurrected body. So, as a vital part of our 'growing up', because of the atonement of Jesus Christ every mortal will eventually be resurrected, the spirit body and vital elements of the physical body once again united never again to be separated. We will have taken a huge step towards becoming more like Heavenly Father.

Our mortal environment, with a veil of forgetting our premortal existence as spirit children drawn over our awareness, provides marvelous opportunities for us to be tested and tried to see what our choices will be. Will we freely choose to become more and more like our loving Heavenly Parent, or more and more drawn towards evil doings that harm others?

Our final state of existence following resurrection, I believe, will be in one of three future 'heavens' or kingdoms of glory with only a tiny number of us choosing to be so evil that they do not inherit any kingdom of glory at all.

But you can learn much more about our Heavenly Father's plan of happiness at:

http://www.mormon.org

Thank-you for asking that important question, enjoy the day.

Old 12-17-2008, 02:53 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,705,421 times
These are the opulent Temple's of my people.osay

Last edited by ptsum; 01-29-2009 at 10:25 AM..

Old 12-17-2008, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
These are the opulent Temple's of my people.osay
Yes, God created a glorious and beautiful planet for all of His children to enjoy, make choices, and learn upon during their mortal experience.

Old 12-17-2008, 03:13 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,378,430 times
Quote:
That's one way of looking at it, Latter-day Saints would not agree. Another way is to consider temples in prominent places to be invitations beckoning God's children to His holy house and Him.

The temple built on the Washington DC beltway for example is famous worldwide because of its location. As you enter San Diego on the I-5 you see a beautiful building with spires rising above you, bringing to many passersby thoughts of God as the eye is drawn upward, the senses tuned to thoughts of a spiritual nature.

State capital buildings are also built in prominent visible locations because they represent the people who live in that state. LDS temples represent God and the availability on this planet of the apostolic priesthood power to seal in heaven as is sealed on earth. Families can be together forever...
It sounds like you see it as a marketing plan.

Old 12-17-2008, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
It sounds like you see it as a marketing plan.
I think you will concur that "marketing" happens in almost every human interaction on anything. Even shaving (if you are male) and wearing the clothing you put on each morning presents a message about yourself.

Personally I think it fitting to build beautiful and functional houses of the Lord in beautiful places rather than to surround them with manufacturing or locate them in downscale crime ridden neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality