Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 02:28 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,031,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterscorpion View Post
Although illogical and improbable from your standpoint, the Devil Exists as does Evil and all its influences. (I can here the rebuttals now...lol) Nonetheless we as humans "Choose" which path we take in life. It has also been proven time and time again that the actions of the few affect the lives of the many, sometimes for long periods of time.
Ok, as you probably expected, why did God create choice and Satan when he knew the combination would lead to innocent children starving to death?

Quote:
Lets use this as an analogy shall we?
Theres a candy bar on the counter of a store. You want that candy bar, yet you know you dont have the money to pay for it. You know its wrong to take it, yet you think you can get away with it. Which way do you go? God says that stealing is wrong, yet the Devil tempts you. Ok so you take it, get caught and now your parents are involved (Relax all you over analyzing folks, this is all hypothetical) as are the police. Your parents raised you to believe that stealing is wrong. The shows on television show what happens to those that steal. Yet you took it even though it wasnt yours. Is it Gods fault that you stole the candy or yours? You knew the consequences, you knew the possible outcomes, and you knew that it was morally wrong. God gave us free will my freind. He also gave us all the tools necessary to make rational decisions for the good of mankind. Whether you use those tools for the right reasons is totally up to you.

Its harder to love another human being than it is to hate him. Ever wondered why? God is present in everything and everywhere. He speaks to those who listen. If you know anything about scripture read the old testament and you will see several times where he commanded different people to kill women, children and animals. Why was this the case? I'm still trying to read and understand. Am I saying that he makes children suffer unnecessarily? No, I am not saying that either. What I am saying is that that child died as a result of poor decisions made on the goverments part. Their lack of action and concern and in many cases greed, caused many hundreds of children to die. Lets say they would have lived...what enviroment would they have grown up in? Slavery, sexual abuse, tribal war, filthy drinking water and bad living conditions? Was God really the culprit here or was it mortal man? We have choices.....God gave us them. Its either the right one or the wrong one.

God is Good All the Time! All the Time God is Good.

Humans make the mistakes...not God.

Sorry if thats not the answer your looking for.

Peace
Winter
Apparently the problem was a natural famine. I wasn't aware there were governments out there controlling the weather.

But if it were peoples' fault, you feel OK saying that God is justified allowing innocent children to suffer because of a poor choice someone else makes? Because I fail to see where the child in the photo was able to make a choice...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 02:50 PM

Location: Wandering the halls aimlessly...Hello? Is anyone there?
307 posts, read 455,330 times
Nope, not saying that at all. Ummm perhaps you should try to understand that the famine, although caused by nature was a underlying cause, the governments inaction to provide for the these children had a major cause in it nonetheless. The human factor. You and I both know that humanitarian aid does not always go where its supposed to. And I'm almost positive that aid was denied to many who needed it.

I cannot justify what God feels is right or wrong...period. He is God and as such does not require that he justify himself to his people. Thats why so many people have a hard time understanding and believing in his existence. You can keep bringing examples of natural occurrences and blame them on God, and I'll find a away to tie in the human factor before God ever had a say so in it. It's terrible to see any child die, especially in such a horrible manner. Is it God allowing it to happen or mans indifference to one another, the planet, and all who inhabit it?

Peace
Winter

Tainted water, diminishing animals and food supplies....somehow I dont think that this is God doing this.

Old 01-27-2009, 02:55 PM

1,088 posts, read 2,196,073 times
Quote:
Tainted water, diminishing animals and food supplies....somehow I dont think that this is God doing this.
For the sake of debate, say that it is humans that are compounding the damage of a famine and it was human hands that brought this child to a place where she is being stalked by a vulture that is waiting for her final breath to be drawn.

That still doesn't answer the question of "Why did God let it happen", though. Could God have intervened in this child's fate and saved her? If yes, and he didn't, then surely he can not be the loving god so many claim him to be. A loving god would not let his children suffer in the dirt with hungry buzzards waiting with baited breath, true? If no, then is he really as all powerful as he is credited for?

Why does this "Father" not fix what his children are breaking? Why does he leave the shards of glass laying around for the children to continuously step on?

Old 01-27-2009, 02:57 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,183,316 times
Quote:
Its harder to love another human being than it is to hate him. Ever wondered why? God is present in everything and everywhere. He speaks to those who listen. If you know anything about scripture read the old testament and you will see several times where he commanded different people to kill women, children and animals. Why was this the case? I'm still trying to read and understand. Am I saying that he makes children suffer unnecessarily? No, I am not saying that either. What I am saying is that that child died as a result of poor decisions made on the goverments part. Their lack of action and concern and in many cases greed, caused many hundreds of children to die. Lets say they would have lived...what enviroment would they have grown up in? Slavery, sexual abuse, tribal war, filthy drinking water and bad living conditions? Was God really the culprit here or was it mortal man? We have choices.....God gave us them. Its either the right one or the wrong one.

God is Good All the Time! All the Time God is Good.

Humans make the mistakes...not God.

Sorry if thats not the answer your looking for.

Peace
Winter
If the child was punished for actions done by others then god is unjust. Why is it that those who cause the problems go unpunished?
The only choice that child had was to not get food or not get food.

Old 01-27-2009, 03:18 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,574,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeveenh View Post
Don't you all see? Why was the girl starving? Not enough money to buy food? Too many people in the world starving to help them all? For whatever reason, the government can't/won't feed all the people? It's not GOD that caused this situation...it's humans trying to rule themselves. This, to me, highlights exactly why we do need God's governance over the humans on earth. He is our creator, the only one who can solve ALL of the problems plaguing the earth.
This is the best and most intelligent and logical answer I have come across on this thread. We do need God in our life,as individuals trying to do it by ourselves that is impossible but not with God Our Father.

We are fortunate to have been born in the good ole U.S.A,because as individuals we do not have a choice where we are born,so we should feel grateful to be from a blessed country.

Old 01-27-2009, 03:33 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,355,255 times
There are a lot of questions here, one is why humanity allows such things to happen and the answer again falls back to greed, power, apathy, and religion. Sub Sarah Africa has everyone clamoring after their oil, gold and diamonds, but nobody trying to feed the starving. Islam and Christian fight for new members, war lords kill for control and power, and the superpowers stand by and watch millions die.
We can fight a George Bush Holy war over oil, but we can’t stop the Christian from make condoms a sin in a land filled with starvation and AIDS, or kids killing and raping whole villages.
I see to much blame to go around Christians, Muslims, and Atheist should all be ashamed, and I don't see how we can blame it on the fake god any more than the easter bunny. This one is in all our baskets.

Old 01-27-2009, 03:38 PM

262 posts, read 567,090 times
Quote:
Nope, not saying that at all. Ummm perhaps you should try to understand that the famine, although caused by nature was a underlying cause, the governments inaction to provide for the these children had a major cause in it nonetheless. The human factor. You and I both know that humanitarian aid does not always go where its supposed to. And I'm almost positive that aid was denied to many who needed it.

I cannot justify what God feels is right or wrong...period. He is God and as such does not require that he justify himself to his people. Thats why so many people have a hard time understanding and believing in his existence. You can keep bringing examples of natural occurrences and blame them on God, and I'll find a away to tie in the human factor before God ever had a say so in it. It's terrible to see any child die, especially in such a horrible manner. Is it God allowing it to happen or mans indifference to one another, the planet, and all who inhabit it?

Peace
Winter

Don't you Christians say that "God controls all?","God is great?",if God is great and he supposedly controls all shouldn't he be able to feed the starving?.I mean you all pray and for what?he never answers,and for some strange reason you seem to think he does answer.What indication does he give you that makes you think he answered your prayers?If there is a god then he does let it happen.

Old 01-27-2009, 03:38 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
So then, please explain to us all why God forsakes this child and the millions of other innocent children just like her. 300 million children go to bed hungry every single day and nearly a billion people today are actually starving as I type...I await your explanation of God's hand in this.
God certainly doesn't need me to speak for him, but I do know he has not forsaken a single person on this earth - including that poor child.

Old 01-27-2009, 03:49 PM

33,532 posts, read 37,132,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
God certainly doesn't need me to speak for him, but I do know he has not forsaken a single person on this earth - including that poor child.
Unbelievable!

Old 01-27-2009, 03:49 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,271,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotted1 View Post
That still doesn't answer the question of "Why did God let it happen", though.
Do you want God to control your life, or are you happy you have free will?

If you walk into Walmart and see something you want, do you want God to strike you down if you reach for it, because it was made in a factory which employs children in slave conditions?

Do you want God to make your cigarettes disappear as soon as you buy them because the second-hand smoke is making your child ill?

Do you want God to cause your favorite pink and brown spotted pants to be ruined at the cleaners, because He knows that someone is going to be distracted on the street when they see them and walk into the path of an oncoming car?

Etc, etc, etc... the possibilities are endless.

We are the ones responsible for the starving child. May God forgive us. And may we all try to help in whatever way we can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality