Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 10:42 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,070,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
I am really not politically correct at all honestly. I think political correctness has run amok too in some ways in the US.

But i'm also just not ignorant, bigoted and closed-minded. There is a difference you know. You CAN be open-minded and tolerant, yet not be politically correct.
I have no issues with people practicing their religion. Fine by me.

I have issue when they try to act "tolerant" and get upset when I have the audacity to suggest that my religion is right. Is tolerance merely pretending to accept each other's beliefs while saying none are right? Or is it disagreeing, but accepting each other's disagreements?

Quote:

kdbrich, i've seen you post many times. I know your personality. And let me tell you, you are one of the closed-minded people I speak of. You twist your reality around your religion, you are very, very intolerant and biggoted in your religious beliefs. You show contempt and hatred for other religions. And you are incredibly stubborn that your own specific views are correct, and apply to everyone else.
I'm a realist. If 2 people say that each other are wrong, they both can't be right.

Quote:
No insult there, just brutal honestly, with no politcal correctness And you don't have to change yourself. Keep on doing what you're doing if you think it's proper.

Christianity can be a beautiful religion. If you all would just be more tolerant and open-minded. The way it is right now, it's just breeding fundamentalism and hate. Bring Christianity back to the love that Jesus tried to teach.
Jesus was very clear and to the point that the only way to heaven is through him. I'm sorry if you've got a different perception of him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 10:51 AM

1,115 posts, read 3,134,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
I have no issues with people practicing their religion. Fine by me.

I have issue when they try to act "tolerant" and get upset when I have the audacity to suggest that my religion is right. Is tolerance merely pretending to accept each other's beliefs while saying none are right? Or is it disagreeing, but accepting each other's disagreements?

I'm a realist. If 2 people say that each other are wrong, they both can't be right.

Jesus was very clear and to the point that the only way to heaven is through him. I'm sorry if you've got a different perception of him.
Tolerance is when you follow your own path with heart. And you let others follow their path without judging them, hating them or trying to change them. You don;t care what others do or believe, as long as they are not causing harm, because you are secure inyourself.

Many Christians out there are like this, why not join them in their love? Do you ever get sick and tired of hating?

You say 2 people can't be right and that's realism. I say that makes no sense. It's perfectly possible for 2 people to both be right. Especially when talking about God, something that transcends times and space.

And, it's perfectly possible for them both to be wrong. You are going off the false premise that one of them must be correct. Which is a very, very big flaw in your mental process.

Jesus said the only way to heaven is through him? You know that most spiritual teachers will say totally different things, depending on who they are teaching and speaking to. Jesus may have said this just because he had to in order to get people to listen, or maybe he had some other reason. You should not take things so literaly, and you should not blindly believe in this either.

When you stop asking questions, and accepting mystery. And start giving nothing but answers and saying that nothing is mysterious. You are probably closed-minded.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:54 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,440,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Ah, the old cry for everyone to "tolerate your intolerance".
Age not not negate the truth!

Old 04-06-2009, 11:01 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,025,387 times
It never matters who is right and who is wrong. What only matters is what you believe. That's all. It does no good to assume only one can be right and everyone else is wrong. Let go and let God. That's one of the things we teach. If you always think your right, you only end up hurting yourself.

The reason Jesus said the only way is through Him is because He was the FIRST human to become like God instead of remaining in His image. Every single person ever created can do this. He was able to learn what God wanted from His children and in order to do that, you had to go through Him, meaning listening and doing what He taught and not killing or sacrificing Him. That is another reason I no longer read the bible. It's based on animalistic tendencies instead of LOVE. Jesus taught Love and not death or sacrifice.

Your truth is yours and this is mine. Only when you die will you know which one is true unless you talk directly to God. But then you would have to have a very much more open mind to do that.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Tolerance is when you follow your own path with heart. And you let others follow their path without judging them, hating them or trying to change them. You don;t care what others do or believe, as long as they are not causing harm, because you are secure inyourself.

Many Christians out there are like this, why not join them in their love? Do you ever get sick and tired of hating?

You say 2 people can't be right and that's realism. I say that makes no sense. It's perfectly possible for 2 people to both be right. Especially when talking about God, something that transcends times and space.

And, it's perfectly possible for them both to be wrong. You are going off the false premise that one of them must be correct. Which is a very, very big flaw in your mental process.

Jesus said the only way to heaven is through him? You know that most spiritual teachers will say totally different things, depending on who they are teaching and speaking to. Jesus may have said this just because he had to in order to get people to listen, or maybe he had some other reason. You should not take things so literaly, and you should not blindly believe in this either.

When you stop asking questions, and accepting mystery. And start giving nothing but answers and saying that nothing is mysterious. You are probably closed-minded.
And being closed-minded is Bad, right? In your opinion of course!

If we can't take things literally, then we can't take what you just posted literally. So what are you really saying, since we cannot take what you say literally? And if you give another post to explain yourself how can we trust that post?

Yes we have to take things that are written literally!

Old 04-06-2009, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
So, you are intollerant of religions that are intollerant.

You want us Christians, Jews and Muslims to tollerate you as you are but you cannot tollerate us as we are.

What makes your belief system of total tollerance superior to our beliefs?
I do not have a problem with religions that are intolerant. I have a problem with PEOPLE who are intolerant.

It is totally possible to be a Jew, Muslem or Christian, and gain a lot of love and power from it yourself. And choose to disagree with the closed-minded side of it.

You can be a Christian, and accept other faiths and not believe they're all going to hell. You can be a Christian and have deep respect for other religions, and not call them blasphemy. I know some Christians who are like this.

Why do some of you all think that you must hate in order to be a Christian? You are just trapping yourself. You are just limiting yourself and keeping yourself at the lower levels.

Why not just focus on gaining the beauty of spiritual enlightenment?

Old 04-06-2009, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
And being closed-minded is Bad, right? In your opinion of course!

If we can't take things literally, then we can't take what you just posted literally. So what are you really saying, since we cannot take what you say literally? And if you give another post to explain yourself how can we trust that post?

Yes we have to take things that are written literally!
No, you should learn how to follow your own heart instead of strictly following the book.

Use the book as a guide for your own heart. Do not let your heart be guided by the book.

You should not believe anything. Do not believe me, do not believe the Bible, do not even believe yourself all the time. Because we often fool ourselves too.

You have to let go of your mental traps. And focus on your gut instincts, heart, and intuition.

Spiritual growth takes very hard work and dedication. There is not easy way to do it.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
It never matters who is right and who is wrong. What only matters is what you believe. That's all. It does no good to assume only one can be right and everyone else is wrong. Let go and let God. That's one of the things we teach. If you always think your right, you only end up hurting yourself.

The reason Jesus said the only way is through Him is because He was the FIRST human to become like God instead of remaining in His image. Every single person ever created can do this. He was able to learn what God wanted from His children and in order to do that, you had to go through Him, meaning listening and doing what He taught and not killing or sacrificing Him. That is another reason I no longer read the bible. It's based on animalistic tendencies instead of LOVE. Jesus taught Love and not death or sacrifice.

Your truth is yours and this is mine. Only when you die will you know which one is true unless you talk directly to God. But then you would have to have a very much more open mind to do that.
Jesus spoke that way because he IS God. What you have stated is contrary to the bible.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:11 AM

Quote:
I do not have a problem with religions that are intolerant. I have a problem with PEOPLE who are intolerant.

It is totally possible to be a Jew, Muslem or Christian, and gain a lot of love and power from it yourself. And choose to disagree with the closed-minded side of it.

You can be a Christian, and accept other faiths and not believe they're all going to hell. You can be a Christian and have deep respect for other religions, and not call them blasphemy. I know some Christians who are like this.

Why do some of you all think that you must hate in order to be a Christian? You are just trapping yourself. You are just limiting yourself and keeping yourself at the lower levels.

Why not just focus on gaining the beauty of spiritual enlightenment?
So gaining spiritual enlightenment is better than being a Christian? Who are you to decide that this is better? What is your proof that it is better to be spriritually enlightened and at the same time reject the word of God?

Old 04-06-2009, 11:12 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
I am really not politically correct at all honestly. I think political correctness has run amok too in some ways in the US.

But i'm also just not ignorant, bigoted and closed-minded. There is a difference you know. You CAN be open-minded and tolerant, yet not be politically correct.

kdbrich, i've seen you post many times. I know your personality. And let me tell you, you are one of the closed-minded people I speak of. You twist your reality around your religion, you are very, very intolerant and biggoted in your religious beliefs. You show contempt and hatred for other religions. And you are incredibly stubborn that your own specific views are correct, and apply to everyone else.

No insult there, just brutal honestly, with no politcal correctness And you don't have to change yourself. Keep on doing what you're doing if you think it's proper.

Christianity can be a beautiful religion. If you all would just be more tolerant and open-minded. The way it is right now, it's just breeding fundamentalism and hate. Bring Christianity back to the love that Jesus tried to teach.
Amen!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality