Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 11:01 PM

1,115 posts, read 3,135,097 times

Advertisements

In the 1800's, the fight for abolishment of slavery was probably the major battle against ignorance in the US.

In the 1900's, the fight for racial equality and women's rights were probably the two biggest battles agianst ignorance in the US.

In this century, I would say that religious bigotry is the force of ignorance we must battle.

This century began with the 9/11 attack. Which spotlighted what Muselm fundamentalism is all about. And in response, American Christian fundamentalists came out of the woodwork. And many of use who do not belong to either of these religions feel as though we are watching two institutions of equal ignorance, self-rightousness and bigotry battle it out.

In this century. We shall overcome religious bigotry. No more claims that one religion is correct and others are heathens. No more religious seperatism and superiority complexes. No more religious hatred and intolerance.

This, I hope will come true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2009, 11:12 PM

998 posts, read 1,333,154 times
You are a nice fellow Funkymonk and your wishes are noble... I hope you will be amongst those given hidayah by Allah s.w.t. Not through coercion not through gimmicks not through lies but through your own efforts to the straight path. God willing.

Old 04-05-2009, 11:21 PM

30,902 posts, read 36,985,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
This century began with the 9/11 attack. Which spotlighted what Muselm fundamentalism is all about. And in response, American Christian fundamentalists came out of the woodwork. And many of use who do not belong to either of these religions feel as though we are watching two institutions of equal ignorance, self-rightousness and bigotry battle it out.

In many respects, I agree with you here. I personally am not interested in ANY kind of "battle" between one philosophy or another.

I reject many aspects of funamentalism (Christian or Muslim), but I also find the atheist / agnosticism to be lacking.

The key, in my view, is not to adopt an either/or all-or-nothing philosophy of life. No one religion, philosophy, or paradigm, has all the answers.

Any world view can become a rigid and closed mental box. That is true of science, of religion, philosophy, etc.

So, I would like to see the 21st Century be about letting go of our preconceived and absolutist views of the nature of reality....in whatever form they may come to us. Rigid thinking is not limited to fundamentalist pracitioners of certain religions.

Old 04-05-2009, 11:29 PM

60 posts, read 203,592 times
both of you dont realize something very very important. You cannot have peace where religion is. History has proved this many times round. Religion is the problem. It manages to undermine many aspects of human nature while also taking the mickey out of other peoples beliefs. I cannot understand how people believe in religion but thats another forum. Without religion we would all be better off. Please use logic and reason not made up junk.

Old 04-05-2009, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by braderjoe View Post
You are a nice fellow Funkymonk and your wishes are noble... I hope you will be amongst those given hidayah by Allah s.w.t. Not through coercion not through gimmicks not through lies but through your own efforts to the straight path. God willing.
Thank you very much May you be blessed too.

Old 04-05-2009, 11:54 PM

2,385 posts, read 4,335,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiike View Post
both of you dont realize something very very important. You cannot have peace where religion is. History has proved this many times round. Religion is the problem. It manages to undermine many aspects of human nature while also taking the mickey out of other peoples beliefs. I cannot understand how people believe in religion but thats another forum. Without religion we would all be better off. Please use logic and reason not made up junk.
I think staunch loyalty without flexibility to any ideology is humankind's downfall. It's not just about organized religion. How many people have died in Iraq in the name of spreading democracy?

This is my hope for the future: that humans make room for other's ideologies. Democracy may not be the best form of govt. for certain cultures. Just because it's worked for us well enough, doesn't mean it will work for others in the same way. Let other countries and religions have the right to run their organizations as they see fit and let us hope that fairness and justice to all reigns supreme, no matter the type of ideology.

Old 04-05-2009, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
In many respects, I agree with you here. I personally am not interested in ANY kind of "battle" between one philosophy or another.

I reject many aspects of funamentalism (Christian or Muslim), but I also find the atheist / agnosticism to be lacking.

The key, in my view, is not to adopt an either/or all-or-nothing philosophy of life. No one religion, philosophy, or paradigm, has all the answers.

Any world view can become a rigid and closed mental box. That is true of science, of religion, philosophy, etc.

So, I would like to see the 21st Century be about letting go of our preconceived and absolutist views of the nature of reality....in whatever form they may come to us. Rigid thinking is not limited to fundamentalist pracitioners of certain religions.
I completely agree with you. Very well said.

This will probably be the century in which we all awaken to this. Or else we will destroy ourselves.

Old 04-06-2009, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
I think staunch loyalty without flexibility to any ideology is humankind's downfall. It's not just about organized religion. How many people have died in Iraq in the name of spreading democracy?

This is my hope for the future: that humans make room for other's ideologies. Democracy may not be the best form of govt. for certain cultures. Just because it's worked for us well enough, doesn't mean it will work for others in the same way. Let other countries and religions have the right to run their organizations as they see fit and let us hope that fairness and justice to all reigns supreme, no matter the type of ideology.
Yes. What mankind needs is a deep level of enlightenment, understanding and compassion. So that it will spread to religion, politics, economics and everything else.

Old 04-06-2009, 12:22 AM

998 posts, read 1,333,154 times
Quote:
Yes. What mankind needs is a deep level of enlightenment, understanding and compassion. So that it will spread to religion, politics, economics and everything else.
Thats a pretty tall task. Hmm...There are some basic fundamental things that can't be reconciled. As an example, in Islam homosexuality is a sin. I know there will be the usual debates about human rights etc etc but 1 of the fundamental rule of Islam is the sin of homosexuality. This is stated in the Quran thus muslims take it as God's command. Now, in Christianity, for example, this rule has been been bent to accomodate this group ie gay churches, priests etc. Fine. That is christianity's take on this, though im not sure if all of the different branches of christianity agrees on this.

But in Islam, there is no compromise on this. No bending of God's rules. In the stricter Islamic countries its punishable whereas in the less strict ones, its very much frowned upon and the sin of such an act is still emphasied. You will scream Islam as being intolerant and harsh but try to look at it from the muslim's point of view. This is a command from the Creator. None can change it on a whim or based on a poll etc except the Rule Giver. Islam is not just about religion. It incoporates the social, the political, the judical, everything.

Old 04-06-2009, 12:31 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,073,049 times
Quote:
In the 1800's, the fight for abolishment of slavery was probably the major battle against ignorance in the US.

In the 1900's, the fight for racial equality and women's rights were probably the two biggest battles agianst ignorance in the US.

In this century, I would say that religious bigotry is the force of ignorance we must battle.

In this century. We shall overcome religious bigotry. No more claims that one religion is correct and others are heathens. No more religious seperatism and superiority complexes. No more religious hatred and intolerance.

Yah....cuz 2 mutually exclusive religions can both be right!!!!!!!!

Political correctness post-modernism run amok. It's sad, really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality