Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 10:26 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,305,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
I said that I do not understand what YOU said about Nirvana.

Not, I do not understand Nirvana.

What is confusing about that?

You said "Also Nirvana is believed to be the persons attachment to the desired self, which much be released to get to Nirvana." And I did not understand this because it's got typos and it's badly written. THIS is what I was saying I did not understand.

Back to my original question..... what do you find questionable or untrue about the concept of Nirvana, which ou wee trying to describe in that post? I'm really curious because I don't see anything to be skeptical about with it. I have found the concept of Nirvana to be a very universal idea, with roots in almost every religion.

I think this concept has its roots in Christianity too. But lately Christians have gone astray from practicing this aspect of it.
I never said that I had a problem with a state of Nirvana, but Buddhism and already told why I think that it is limited.

I just don't believe in the many cycles of birth, death, and rebirth.

Unlike many religions, Buddhism does not teach that an all-powerful God created the universe and now rules over it. Instead, the world we know now is the product of an endless cycle of creation and destruction.

Also Buddhist think that the universe is created and destroyed over and over again. It may continue like this for centuries or millennia, until the next destruction, as it is taught.

Then the World of Brahma is created from what is believed the lower heaven. At first Brahma is empty, until some being from the World of Radiance is reborn into this new realm. There are some that are believed to have been there for a long time, longer than some. Then eventually one of the beings from the World of Brahma is reborn on Earth, and the process begins again.

This is just some of the things that I don't believe and think is limited.

So, once again I dont have a problem with Buddhism or Nirvana I just don't believe in it.

Last edited by Miss Shawn_2828; 04-20-2009 at 10:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 12:18 AM

1,115 posts, read 3,134,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn_2828 View Post
I never said that I had a problem with a state of Nirvana, but Buddhism and already told why I think that it is limited.

I just don't believe in the many cycles of birth, death, and rebirth.

Unlike many religions, Buddhism does not teach that an all-powerful God created the universe and now rules over it. Instead, the world we know now is the product of an endless cycle of creation and destruction.

Also Buddhist think that the universe is created and destroyed over and over again. It may continue like this for centuries or millennia, until the next destruction, as it is taught.

Then the World of Brahma is created from what is believed the lower heaven. At first Brahma is empty, until some being from the World of Radiance is reborn into this new realm. There are some that are believed to have been there for a long time, longer than some. Then eventually one of the beings from the World of Brahma is reborn on Earth, and the process begins again.

This is just some of the things that I don't believe and think is limited.

So, once again I dont have a problem with Buddhism or Nirvana I just don't believe in it.
It's interesting that you focus on the God aspects of the religion. In every religion, these aspects of it are the stangest and hardest to believe.

Many Buddhists do not believe these things you describe either. What you said about the World of Brahma...... many, many Buddhist do not believe in this. In fact Many Buddhists do not believe in reincarnation either, or they have an eclectic view towards it. Buddhism is a religion that is full of evolving ideas.

Buddhism does have some dogma, but as a Buddhist, these are not essential to follow, you can choose to disagree with all the dogmas of Buddhism and still be a Buddhist.

But to me, the dogma found in Buddhism is more reasonable and in accordance to science than most other religions.

Buddhism is all about your lifestyle and spiritual practices. It is not about what you believe, it's about what you do. And Christianity is just the opposite.

As a Buddhist, you can choose to believe nothing. You simply must live the Buddhist lifestyle.

In fact, as you become more and more advanced in Buddhism, you are supposed to believe in less and less dogma, and form your own original and personal ideas more and more.

Old 04-21-2009, 01:37 AM

2,255 posts, read 5,398,863 times
Quote:
[b][color="Red"]Buddhism is all about your lifestyle and spiritual practices. It is not about what you believe, it's about what you do. And Christianity is just the opposite.
That's funny, you say it's about what you do ???
Then I find many similiarities when you compare Buddhism and that of most of Christendom.
How uncanny.
Do you suppose the beliefs of both started at some historical point of origin ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkster
In fact, as you become more and more advanced in Buddhism, you are supposed to believe in less and less dogma, and form your own original and personal ideas more and more.
This would explain the same disunity found among this world's Buddhist as we see in the varying religious denominations of Christendom and why mankind as a whole are now choosing to dump any type of religion.

Old 04-21-2009, 02:29 AM

378 posts, read 626,464 times
God has already shown himself. When you see the earth, when you experience anything, etc, it's because of God. Blind chance did not create the Universe. An explosion did not create the stars. God has already shown himself and you see it every day. There's no excuse to say you don't.

Old 04-21-2009, 02:36 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,505,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17271 View Post
God has already shown himself. When you see the earth, when you experience anything, etc, it's because of God. Blind chance did not create the Universe. An explosion did not create the stars. God has already shown himself and you see it every day. There's no excuse to say you don't.
And you know this how? How can you prove that I didn't do all of that?

Old 04-21-2009, 02:41 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,188,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
Huh? Boy, you really are WAY out there. God is not an "it". He is a person, the first person of the trinity (or Godhead)

He has shown Himself countless times over the centuries. You really should read the Bible...and pray. You might learn something...

Bud
This I'd like to see, documented proof that god has shown himself. Not in flowers, babies or sunsets, no substitutes! Either seeing god or not. No almosts, as ifs, kinda ofs, etc.

Old 04-21-2009, 02:45 AM

378 posts, read 626,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
And you know this how?
You and I are part of God's creation. You stare in the face such creation every day.

Old 04-21-2009, 03:03 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,505,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17271 View Post
You and I are part of God's creation. You stare in the face such creation every day.
How do you know I didn't create it all?

Old 04-21-2009, 03:29 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,347,991 times
Default gender specific: not gender pacific...

first, you err by stating that god is not gender specific. he is, from the beginning of time and mankind, identified as the masculine form...that will not change...no matter how "progressive" or "enlightened" you may consider yourself to be. god is not an "it". even though a relative few throughout man's history have experienced gender identity issues, our god has never. a study of the literature (the bible) tells us that god is not tempted of man nor is the creator responsible to man for proving god's creation. the bible clearly states that no man has lived who has looked upon the father. no man is able to view the full glory of the father w/out dying, as did elijiah. moses, when he ascended to mt. siniai, was directed to turn away from viewing the almighty because moses would be unable to bear the full glory of god. a good reading of both testaments will help one in his understanding---sincere understanding.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:51 AM

3,580 posts, read 6,305,053 times
Quote:
It's interesting that you focus on the God aspects of the religion. In every religion, these aspects of it are the stangest and hardest to believe.

Many Buddhists do not believe these things you describe either. What you said about the World of Brahma...... many, many Buddhist do not believe in this. In fact Many Buddhists do not believe in reincarnation either, or they have an eclectic view towards it. Buddhism is a religion that is full of evolving ideas.

Buddhism does have some dogma, but as a Buddhist, these are not essential to follow, you can choose to disagree with all the dogmas of Buddhism and still be a Buddhist.

But to me, the dogma found in Buddhism is more reasonable and in accordance to science than most other religions.

Buddhism is all about your lifestyle and spiritual practices. It is not about what you believe, it's about what you do. And Christianity is just the opposite.

As a Buddhist, you can choose to believe nothing. You simply must live the Buddhist lifestyle.

Quote:
Actually they do, I got this information from actually watching and learning from actual Buddhist, not just some information that I looked up.
The only Buddhists that I found that didn't believe in the main teaching of Buddhism, is the ones that only focus on what they want to believe.

When you study and research other religions, it is more than just studying things on paper, it is actually going out and studying and viewing up close. I advise you to do the same.

Quote:
You are so funny, because what I listed is not dogma, and if you was to tell the Buddhist teacher what you think about his teaching, he would probably laugh in your face. I'm sure he knows more than you on what he believes. Chion-in and Ganden Mahayana Buddhist, I'm sure is more advance in what you think that you believe.

Maybe you should pick of the study of religions.

Quote:
In fact, as you become more and more advanced in Buddhism, you are supposed to believe in less and less dogma, and form your own original and personal ideas more and more
In fact, my original ideas and personal ideas come from someone that I learned about what they actually believe. And you need to stop with the condescending attitude that you seem to have of Christian of what we believe over Buddhism or what ever, it's getting really old. There are some really bad Buddhist in the world, and I'm sure they don't represent the whole population of Buddhist. And I choose to not even get into that.

Cry cry oh the Christians believe in this and believe in that. Give it a rest and actually go and study the religion if you really want to understand the people and why they believe what they believe.

I actually spend my time with other people who are totally different from my religion, I advise you to do the same.

Oh, and believe me I have seen some who call themself Buddhist who are doing the opposite of what they are actually practicing, and trust me they are as hateful as any Christian I have meet. But I relize they don't represent anyone but themself. That is because they choose to do things that way, that is the same for Christians.

In North Korea Christians are being persecuted by the county Bhutan, that is dominated by Buddhism.

Even foreign Christian guest workers have been imprisoned and deported for quietly practicing their faith, despite government assurances that foreigners can worship privately,” according to Open Doors.

So as you see every religion has some bad apples, and I'm sure you don't think of yourself as a persecutor of Christians as those Buddhist are.

Last edited by Miss Shawn_2828; 04-21-2009 at 08:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality