Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 05:55 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,984,505 times

Advertisements

Nicene/Orthodox Christians, Muslims, and Jews all claim they are against Idolatry, and yet all are Idolators. Why? Becuase they all idolatrize their sacred books. I don't mean the message of the books, but rather the books them selves! Are not the Torah, the Koran, and the Bible nothing but bitts of paper with cardboard binding and some ink? If so, then why have such reverence for them?

I hear so many "born again Christians" call Hindus, Buddhists, Wiccans and even Catholics "idolators" because they worship before images. Well, so are the fundies, after all, they would get offended if I burned a Bible in front of them. Same with Jews...don't they pass the Sefer Torah around during their survices? Isn't that just an idol of paper ( a form of wood, HELLO!) that is the object of worship, no different from bowing before a statue?

And don't get me started on the Muslim! I mean, they had riots because some interrogator at Gitmo urinated on the Koran. I mean, aren't Muslims suppose to be hard core against worshipping a idol? If so, then why care if a idol, like the Koran, gets pee on it?

If you really do not believe in bowing down or worshipping and idol, prove it by burning your Holy book, after all, god is not in the book, now is he? I thought it was just a book about god, and not god himself...

Would I burn a Bible? Of course. Would I burn a copy of the Gnostic Gospels? Probably not, for one reason and one reason alone...look here at Amazon: Amazon.com: The Nag Hammadi Scriptures: The International Edition: Marvin Meyer: Books

$26.00 dollars! That ain't cheap. Sorry, but I have cheaper things to use for kindling then the scriptures. But would I burn them, urinate on them, and vomit on them etc. if they were free? Absolutely. They are just words on paper, and that paper is no more worthy of worship then a pile of bricks or the computer monitor in front of me. GOD is not in there, but in the knowledge contained in there.

Also, keep in mind that we Gnostics have nothing against idolatry, because it is not against GOD but only against the jealous god/satan of the OT and not the GOD of Christ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 07:06 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,073,559 times
According to a quick search, I found that burning it is actually the proper way to dispose of an old Bible. So....ironically, you might have made a pretty good suggestion there.

Quote:
Q: What is the appropriate means to dispose of an old Bible?

A: There is no specifically mandated means of disposing of old Bibles. Some Catholics follow a custom of disposing of religious articles that have been blessed either by burying or burning them, but even that is not mandated by law. If the Bible has been blessed you might choose to follow that custom. If not, dispose of it as you would any other book. If it’s still in fair condition, you might put it on a book donation table to benefit someone else.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:41 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,715,115 times
Imagine if God's wisdom could be reduced to simply reading a book. Pretty absurd.

People who adhere to a book - any book - as the inerrant Word of God do not yet know God within themselves. They are in the freshman intro seminar. We all must go through that seminar at some point. I think we are evolving beyond such idolotry, though.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Imagine if God's wisdom could be reduced to simply reading a book. Pretty absurd.

People who adhere to a book - any book - as the inerrant Word of God do not yet know God within themselves. They are in the freshman intro seminar. We all must go through that seminar at some point. I think we are evolving beyond such idolotry, though.

What if the "God within" one person conflicts with the one in another? Are thy both right? Is there such a thing as truth?

Old 05-28-2009, 08:31 PM

134 posts, read 169,162 times
Originally Posted by Bluefly

What if the "God within" one person conflicts with the one in another? Are thy both right? Is there such a thing as truth?

I completely agree with BlueFly! Could God’s Spirit be “saying†different things to different people? Absolutely, but not evil things. We are all on potentially different paths along our journey. What is right for me today, may or may not be right to me a year from now. The same would be true of someone else. We have to accept this, methinks and stay away from being so judgmental. For me, all truth must be viewed as provisional even if I want it to be absolute.

Abhor that which is evil (especially all the evil you see in the Bible), cleave to that which is good (whether it’s in the Bible or one of Richard Dawkins books). Wisdom is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be entreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy.

And yes! I'd burn 'em to prove the point, no worries!

Grace & Peace, John

Old 05-28-2009, 09:10 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,715,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Good question. Most fundamentalists, for example, are drawn to that strict code as a means of dealing with some vice in their lives, such as alcoholism or abuse or something of that nature.

So, I would say that the force we call God speaks to each individual at his or her level of development. Fundamentalists tend to be at the bottom of that totem pole and need an external idol to worship (a book).

Those who exist at a higher level need no book. They simply experience God within.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Good question. Most fundamentalists, for example, are drawn to that strict code as a means of dealing with some vice in their lives, such as alcoholism or abuse or something of that nature.

So, I would say that the force we call God speaks to each individual at his or her level of development. Fundamentalists tend to be at the bottom of that totem pole and need an external idol to worship (a book).

Those who exist at a higher level need no book. They simply experience God within.

You really didn't answer the question. Suppose the "god within" advocates someone steal your car. Your's doesn't.

Who is right?

Old 05-28-2009, 10:02 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,984,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post

So, you don't believe in the Holy Spirit guiding people? Welll....that might well be blasphemy, and what does the Bible say about Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit?...

Old 05-29-2009, 05:31 AM

305 posts, read 1,234,539 times
burn ur own book...................

its taken me years of underlining and highlighting.....I know where everything is in it.

what color, left or right, top or bottom of page, left or right colomn.
I cant even use a new bible .........I've tried 4 times............

no way Im burnin mine......burn ur own............

Old 05-29-2009, 06:49 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,574,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Nicene/Orthodox Christians, Muslims, and Jews all claim they are against Idolatry, and yet all are Idolators. Why? Becuase they all idolatrize their sacred books. I don't mean the message of the books, but rather the books them selves! Are not the Torah, the Koran, and the Bible nothing but bitts of paper with cardboard binding and some ink? If so, then why have such reverence for them?

I hear so many "born again Christians" call Hindus, Buddhists, Wiccans and even Catholics "idolators" because they worship before images. Well, so are the fundies, after all, they would get offended if I ..............
Do you know what idolatry is? This is more than a form of idol worshio, it is creating a god in your head and how can you know what God is like without the bible?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality