Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 06:46 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,651,993 times

Advertisements

victorianpunk wrote:
Quote:
A scripture book is the same as any other object, and not an idol...if people didn't treat it like an idol, then why else would people be reluctant to burn it or urinate on it anymore then they would be reluctant to deface a phone book?
I honestly can't make any sense out of your message. You haven't clearly explained how any religious text could be described as an idol and your references about urination and phone books doesn't seem to help. I'm sorry, I don't have any idea about what you're talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 07:36 PM

275 posts, read 708,919 times
I'm Jewish and honestly I can say that my faith and my trust in God doesn't come from the Torah, it comes from my own inner self. My heart and mind are what I worship God with, not a book and not the scrolls.

And BTW-- we do touch the Torah when it is carried through... usually the older people in the temple reach out and touch it as it passes by. Myself, well, I don't need them to know God. I only need to talk to him and have a relationship with him.

Personally, I am more worried by Catholics and other Christians who worship saints, worship prophets like Jesus and worship mortals like Mary. That is idolatry. You should only worship God.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:07 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,996,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
victorianpunk wrote:

I honestly can't make any sense out of your message. You haven't clearly explained how any religious text could be described as an idol and your references about urination and phone books doesn't seem to help. I'm sorry, I don't have any idea about what you're talking about.

Let me explain this again: Someone takes a Bible in front of a Christian and spits on it, and the Christian is offended. Why? Isn't just some paper and card board binding? Why consider it sacred unless it is some kind of idol?

Muslims protest over someone throwing a copy of the koran in a toilet. Why? Isn't the Koran just paper and cardboard?

So, either A) they some how believe that god is in the Bible and the Koran or B) they should not care and just shrug.

Any reluctancy to desecrate a material object means that the said person considers the said object somehow more sacred then anything else in creation: i.e., an the said object is an idol. So, back to the original statement, anyone who is truly not an idolator would not be reluctant in the least to desecrate a copy of their own Holy Book.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:29 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,733,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
You really didn't answer the question. Suppose the "god within" advocates someone steal your car. Your's doesn't.

Who is right?
One truly connected to "God" has no desire to steal. He needs no rules to follow. He is evolved beyond such rules.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:39 AM

2,529 posts, read 4,359,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Let me explain this again: Someone takes a Bible in front of a Christian and spits on it, and the Christian is offended. Why? Isn't just some paper and card board binding? Why consider it sacred unless it is some kind of idol?

Muslims protest over someone throwing a copy of the koran in a toilet. Why? Isn't the Koran just paper and cardboard?

So, either A) they some how believe that god is in the Bible and the Koran or B) they should not care and just shrug.

Any reluctancy to desecrate a material object means that the said person considers the said object somehow more sacred then anything else in creation: i.e., an the said object is an idol. So, back to the original statement, anyone who is truly not an idolator would not be reluctant in the least to desecrate a copy of their own Holy Book.
This is just not true. It wouldn't be the actual bible that was spat on that would upset me. It would be the symbolism of them spitting on my religion.

I've had my bible since I was baptized 15 years ago. The reason I don't want another is like what ICN2U said. I know exactly in my head where to find things, I have it highlighted, have notes written in it, etc. I don't want a new slate.

If it were my "idol", would I write in it? Would the edges be frayed, and a couple pages almost ripped out? No, but that is how my bible looks.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:17 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,651,993 times
mzjamiedawn wrote:
Quote:
This is just not true. It wouldn't be the actual bible that was spat on that would upset me. It would be the symbolism of them spitting on my religion.
Yes, that's exactly the point. I think the reason there may be some confusion on this issue is the fact that people don't tend to worship idols in modern times. It's a practice that was common many centuries ago but it's virtually nonexistent today. A Bible or any other religious text represents and explains in written language the true meaning that the book is trying to say. An idol on the other hand is the actual object of worship itself and it doesn't represent or explain anything at all. There's a clear distinction between these two things.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:45 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,517,069 times
I think there is a good argument that many Christians have elevated the bible to the status of an Idol. This is based on their refusal to acknowledge that men created the bible, and accordingly they attribute magical powers to the words contained within it. For example, no matter how far fetched a story in the bible may be, they say it MUST be true - because it's in the bible.

Further, Christians describe God's word as part of God. Consider this verse:
Quote:
John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, the Word was with God, and the Word (was) God.
Given that the bible is "the Word" to many Christians, it's clear the Bible is much more than just a regular book to that religion. I think it's telling that Christians who use the King James Version of the bible will often pray and talk about religion using old English conventions and verbiage, (such as using lots of "thee's" and "thy's.") As if God talks in old English just because the KJV was translated in that day and age.

Given the fact that the bible is believed to be of divine origin, has somewhat magical properties, and is said to be an actual part of their lord, I don't think we can say it's just another book. I think it is a religious representation of their God that is revered, and believed to convey spiritual power. That is about as good of a definition of an Idol as one will find.

Old 05-30-2009, 07:02 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,733,464 times
I can't rep you again, Boxcar, but well said.

Old 05-30-2009, 07:09 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,674,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Indeed it is. They don't even touch it, house it someplace special, and when it get's used up bury it in a ceremony as if it was a person!

How is that any different from a Hindu offering food to a statue of Genesh as if it was a person?
I guess that means Americans who observe traditional flag protocol are idolators, too. (Not allowing a flag to be dipped, flown below another national flag, touch the ground, etc.) And isn't an old flag supposed to be buried?

And being Jewish myself, all I can say regarding your observations is that you still need to do a little more studying. Or at least try to go a little deeper than the surface.

Old 05-30-2009, 07:50 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,083,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
One truly connected to "God" has no desire to steal. He needs no rules to follow. He is evolved beyond such rules.
Based on what? Your "god within"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality