Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 11:52 AM

134 posts, read 169,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Do you know what idolatry is? This is more than a form of idol worshio, it is creating a god in your head and how can you know what God is like without the bible?
The same way Paul said the gentiles knew it in Romans 1 and 2 – Written on their hearts and revealed by Creation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 12:24 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,347,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfraysse View Post
The same way Paul said the gentiles knew it in Romans 1 and 2 – Written on their hearts and revealed by Creation.
Yes, but do you believe ( as I do ) it would be true,
even if Paul had never said it.

Old 05-29-2009, 03:00 PM

134 posts, read 169,177 times
Quote:
Yes, but do you believe ( as I do ) it would be true,
even if Paul had never said it.
Yes, I do! In fact, this is one of the most believable things Paul says. I frankly reject much of his Dogma, but still he has great things to say. Abhor evil – cleave to good! 1 Cor 13 Awesome! Romans 8 no separation – incredible! Phil 4 super advice! etc, etc!

Old 05-29-2009, 03:17 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,985,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Do you know what idolatry is? This is more than a form of idol worshio, it is creating a god in your head and how can you know what God is like without the bible?

OF course, but if you were handed a Bible and asked "burn it" would you? If not, then you hold an object to be sacred and you are indeed a idolator.

Old 05-29-2009, 03:58 PM

2,339 posts, read 4,404,434 times
[quote=kdbrich;9031575]What if the "God within" one person conflicts with the one in another? Are thy both right? Is there such a thing as truth?[/quote]

Depends on who you ask!

Old 05-29-2009, 04:06 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,624,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Same with Jews...don't they pass the Sefer Torah around during their survices? Isn't that just an idol of paper ( a form of wood, HELLO!) that is the object of worship, no different from bowing before a statue?
Passing a scroll around is idolatry? OK, if you say so.

Old 05-29-2009, 05:38 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,633,334 times
I think of worshipping an idol to be something like carving some sort of image that is a physical representation of something. Remember when the Bible says that Moses went up to get the Ten Commandments but it took him longer to get back than people expected and some of the screwups who were waiting for him decided to make a golden calf if my memory serves me correctly and to worship it. The Bible or any other religious text is something that you sit down and read. You wouldn't put a Bible up on some sort of pedestal and then grovel around and worship it as a physical object. I'm sorry but the OP is not at all convincing when it describes any Holy Book as an idol.

Old 05-29-2009, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I think of worshipping an idol to be something like carving some sort of image that is a physical representation of something. Remember when the Bible says that Moses went up to get the Ten Commandments but it took him longer to get back than people expected and some of the screwups who were waiting for him decided to make a golden calf if my memory serves me correctly and to worship it. The Bible or any other religious text is something that you sit down and read. You wouldn't put a Bible up on some sort of pedestal and then grovel around and worship it as a physical object. I'm sorry but the OP is not at all convincing when it describes any Holy Book as an idol.

So, the Jews keeping the Torah in a special place and passing it around and getting a kind of blessing off of isn't finding it to be somehow more important then any other book, i.e., idolatry?

It doesn't matter what it's made out of: paper, gold, cardboard etc, it's still an idol. OR how about Muslim keeping the koran in a special place and not even licking their fingers to turn the pages?

A scripture book is the same as any other object, and not an idol...if people didn't treat it like an idol, then why else would people be reluctant to burn it or urinate on it anymore then they would be reluctant to deface a phone book?

Old 05-29-2009, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Passing a scroll around is idolatry? OK, if you say so.

Indeed it is. They don't even touch it, house it someplace special, and when it get's used up bury it in a ceremony as if it was a person!

How is that any different from a Hindu offering food to a statue of Genesh as if it was a person?

Old 05-29-2009, 06:38 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,387,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
A scripture book is the same as any other object, and not an idol...if people didn't treat it like an idol, then why else would people be reluctant to burn it or urinate on it anymore then they would be reluctant to deface a phone book?
People who pee on their phone books will probably be more interested in your idea than rational people will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality