Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 10:12 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,058,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Most states already have laws making homosexuality sex acts illegal.
Not true, prior to 2003 Alabama, Florida, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Texas, Utah and Virginia had some sort of anti-homosexual sodomy laws.

The remaining states had already had the laws repealed, or overturned by court rulings.

In 2003 the US Supreme Court invalidated anti-sodomy laws in the above listed states in Lawrence v. Texas.

So, as you can see there are no anti-homosexual sodomy laws remaining in the United States outside of the military.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 11:19 PM

4,511 posts, read 7,524,138 times
are we still on topic?

thank you all for valuable information on the legalistic side of theory and practice in east and west. more or less.

imo, concentrating on a widespread problem by reducing it to a question as worded by the op here, is dodging a social (control) issue increasing to global proportions!

this is not about anyone's privacy being protected from religious righteousness, but about male dominance and female compliance effecting changes in social behavior that never got much attention in the first place.

Old 06-06-2009, 11:41 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,739,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Colossus wrote:

Here's a link that discusses how various Islamic nations deal with homosexuality:

Here's a brief section that talks specifically about Islam:

You'll notice that Iran has executed about 4,000 people for homosexual activity and almost all Islamic nations punish people to some extent for this sexual behavior.
Again, we are taking just the homosexual penalties out of the huge chunk of Sharia penal law.

Knowing Islam like a native does, the law forbids promiscuity - that goes for prostitution, pederasts, homosexuals and other lewd conduct prohibited by Islam.

The taliban, for instance, execute women and children who go to school.

When punitive law is enforced on all and sundry, the act of magnifying one subset is fraught with disproportionate analysis and cannot account for persecution of homosexuals.

Old 06-07-2009, 06:07 AM

2,203 posts, read 5,087,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Most states already have laws making homosexuality sex acts illegal.
Alot of states also still have laws against oral sex...does this mean everyone follows those laws....I think not.

There are also still laws on the books for every state...stupid laws like, you can't tie your elephant to the hitchin' post after 9pm...etc.

My point is that there are alot of outdated laws on our books from a long time ago that no longer pertain to our society.

Old 06-07-2009, 06:10 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,504,982 times
Sin is sin. We live in an age of Grace - at least in non-islamic countries. We are free to choose. But Gods ways are still the best and the right ways. He loves people and wants them to KNOW him on a personal level - but our sin gets in the way. In the Old Testament the Law stood - people who commited adultery/murder/sodomy were stoned to death. This was because God wanted to eradicate sin from his people - so he could have a relationship with them and protect them from the ongoing effect of sin which is like a disease . Jesus came to this earth - God incarnate - taking on himself, the sins of those who believe on him and follow him - he became sin for us. Therefore the LAW was satisfied and Gods Justice which could not tolerate Sin. Gods Grace became available to all people. Its still our choice though. We are free to continue sinning - or we can turn away from our sin ask God to forgive us through Christ Jesus. He makes us new creatures - spiritually reborn, able to have a relationship with our creator because the SIN bit has been taken care of. So should we continue to sin - in homosexuality, adultery, theft etc.....??? NO! But we have the freedom to choose.

The OP asks if homosexuality should be punished by death. It is a path that leads to death - spiritual death. All sin leads to death. The Law of the land does not punish everything that is against Gods Law - there is so much anyway!!!!

I think that people should continue to have the freedom to choose - but Christians should have the freedom to warn those who are lost and on a road that leads to hell - that that is their destination, unless they turn to the Lord with all their hearts. God can turn lives around. He can wash away any sin. He can make us new. He is the Lawgiver - he's the Grace provider.

Old 06-07-2009, 08:17 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,347,300 times
"Would You As A Christian Make Homosexual Sex Illegal If You Could?"

Nope! It's none of my business what goes on in my neighbors bedroom.

Old 06-07-2009, 08:55 AM

3,412 posts, read 10,175,243 times
Wouldn't it create a "Black Market"?

Old 06-07-2009, 10:35 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,632,456 times
kdbrich wrote:
Quote:
Nope. Honestly...there are plenty of immoral things that a person can do that should not necessarily be criminalized.
I'm glad to hear that. You were actually one of the people that I thought might support making it illegal so I'm relieved to hear that you have a more reasonable opinion.

Old 06-07-2009, 10:46 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,524,138 times
^
... currently advocated, firebrand smoldering on????

Old 06-08-2009, 09:46 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,665,947 times
I do not feel that it would be right for me or anyone else to legislate somebody else's private life whatever it might be. When we start doing that, what's going to be next? Will we go back to saying that African Americans and Caucasians can't marry each other or Caucasians and Native Americans can't marry each other or how about Catholics and Protestants or Baptists and Methodists what are we going to legislate next Christians and non-Christians aren't allowed to marry, this country was founded on certain liberties not on Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Buddhism, Paganism or any other kind of religion, this country was founded on freedom of religion, which means we are free to worship whatever religion or belief or non-religion or non-belief we so please. No, even if I had the power to do so, I would not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality