Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 04:22 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,394,590 times

Advertisements

Why should I care is someone is, wants to be, fears that they are, or hopes that they are homosexual? The only thing I care about is not being flirted with by people of the same sex as I am.

I think the only reason some people are anti-homosexual is because they were told to beleive the nonsense from the bible about being homosexual and going to hell. --If that is true, why should I care if they go to hell? If my own kid was homosexual, and was happy, why would I care? I want my kid to be happy.

So.......why SHOULD I care? What good would caring about such a thing do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 07:42 PM

2,203 posts, read 5,082,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
LuckyGem wrote:

At one time many decades ago homosexuality was widely considered to be a mental illness. Today mental health professionals, psychiatrists and the overwhelming majority of people involved with human sexuality on a professional level have come to the conclusion a long time ago that it is not an illness at all and it's just part of the normal variation in human sexual desires. There are those who believe there may be a genetic link although that remains unproven. So basically it's already been studied for quite a long time and it seems obvious that the hostility directed against gay people is completely unjustified.

I have had many religious people tell me that it wouldn't matter to them if science proved homosexuality was genetic...they would still feel the same way...that's it's wrong in the eyes of the "Lord."

Old 06-06-2009, 07:53 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,065,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I realize we've had a ton of threads regarding homosexuality but I'd like to ask a question that I don't think I've read on any of those threads. Many years ago a homosexual act was illegal in many states and gradually those laws were either not enforced or were overturned by the Courts. I can recall an interview with a man in California who was associated with an extremely anti-gay group who supported the concept of not only making it illegal to engage in same sex activity but to also make it a crime that could result in the death penalty. Of course even the most right wing fundamentalists would probably not go that far but I'm wondering what those of you who are opposed to homosexuality would actually do in terms of legislation if you had the power to do so. In many Islamic nations people who are caught engaging in same sex activities can be sent to prison. So my question is this, just how far would your anti-gay point of view go if you were able to force your will on society? Would you make homosexual sex illegal, send people to prison, or would you simply be satisfied that gays and lesbians can't get married in most states?

Nope. Honestly...there are plenty of immoral things that a person can do that should not necessarily be criminalized.

Old 06-06-2009, 08:12 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,700,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC~Mom View Post
I have had many religious people tell me that it wouldn't matter to them if science proved homosexuality was genetic...they would still feel the same way...that's it's wrong in the eyes of the "Lord."
Science already has proven that homosexuality is natural. Read the latest issue of Scientific American Mind. The consensus is that homosexuality is quite prevalent in animal populations and a normal part of their behavior.

Likewise, Kinsey even created a gradient because he learned that most humans lie somewhere on a gradient between the extremes.

This science needs to be voiced more in this effort to oppress homosexuals.

Old 06-06-2009, 08:47 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,065,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Science already has proven that homosexuality is natural. Read the latest issue of Scientific American Mind. The consensus is that homosexuality is quite prevalent in animal populations and a normal part of their behavior.

Likewise, Kinsey even created a gradient because he learned that most humans lie somewhere on a gradient between the extremes.

This science needs to be voiced more in this effort to oppress homosexuals.
I've seen this argument before but as of yet I've seen no one explain how if it occurs in nature that it is good or healthy.

In nature animals eat their young. Disputes are settled by being the toughest in the pack. A single male might have several mates. Incest occurs.

How is it a good thing if it "occurs in nature"?

Old 06-06-2009, 08:55 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,377,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
I've seen this argument before but as of yet I've seen no one explain how if it occurs in nature that it is good or healthy.

In nature animals eat their young. Disputes are settled by being the toughest in the pack. A single male might have several mates. Incest occurs.

Biological Exuberance: Animal Homosexuality and Natural Diversity

http://www.amazon.com/Biological-Exuberance-Homosexuality-Natural-Diversity/dp/0312192398#

Quote:
The overall effect is to detonate the myth that animals are solely driven by heterosexual reproductive urges, as Bagemihl, a biologist, amasses evidence with case study after case study of species ranging from whiptail lizards to bottlenose dolphins, flamingoes, vampire bats and giraffes. But his book offers more than a zoological laundry list. Biologists who have long classified these behaviors as taking place only in "abnormal" conditions or as "pseudo-copulation," "mistakes," "practicing" and domineering sexual bullying are frequently shown to be willfully ignoring behavior that does not reflect their own worldview or accepted scientific thought.
Quote:
Bruce Bagemihl writes that Biological Exuberance: Animal Homosexuality and Natural Diversity was a "labor of love." And indeed it must have been, since most scientists have thus far studiously avoided the topic of widespread homosexual behavior in the animal kingdom--sometimes in the face of undeniable evidence. Bagemihl begins with an overview of same-sex activity in animals, carefully defining courtship patterns, affectionate behaviors, sexual techniques, mating and pair-bonding, and same-sex parenting. He firmly dispels the prevailing notion that homosexuality is uniquely human and only occurs in "unnatural" circumstances.

Old 06-06-2009, 09:14 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,700,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post

Because the core of your argument is that homosexuality is "unnatural".

Thus, the core of your argument has been proven to be wrong.

To the larger point, scientists have determined that humans exist on a gradient between homosexual and heterosexual attraction, most somewhere toward the middle. You argue that homosexuals are depraved and lost.

So, once again, science proves that the core of that argument is wrong.

Old 06-06-2009, 09:16 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
Most states already have laws making homosexuality sex acts illegal.

Old 06-06-2009, 09:48 PM

275 posts, read 707,659 times
Seriously? Come one. They don't bother you in your bedroom-- why bother them while they are in theirs?

Last thing I want is some preacher peeping in my window seeing what my hubby and I are doing. Sure my best friend feels the same way-- he and his boyfriend deserve just as much privacy.

Old 06-06-2009, 10:06 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,154,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus_Antonis View Post
It's misleading to annotate that Jesus replaced the commandments with His.

He clearly stated that these two are the "greatest" commandments.

Greatest can only mean precedence and in no way nullifies the other commandments

Signed:
Pharisee boy
Maybe you are reading it differently......but:
JOHN 13:34 NKJ

34 "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you love one another.

You can fulfill all the other commandments if you think you can....even though Jesus did that for you.
I find it challenging enough to walk in love..................and strangely enough, it is more appealing to unbelievers than suggesting they will go to hell for eating pork...or loving someone the church (as a religion) doesn't approve of.
I think we should ponder this verse a little longer before assuming the judgment of mankind should somehow be a part of our agenda.
I think we should really study it before shutting people out.
I think we should really know the meaning of it before assuming we speak for God.
More importantly....I think we should live this verse before we find ourselves OUTSIDE of the Pearly Gates.

More than anything..... we should hang our heads in complete shame....that a world Jesus died to save....we've decided to add additional rules to....as though WE are God.

Last edited by GloryB; 06-06-2009 at 10:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality