Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2009, 08:33 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
Sodomy is no longer illegal in the military:

Windy City Times - U.S. Army Strikes Down Sodomy Law
Actually reading that article it was about a male and a female having sex, and they over-turned a conviction due to their interpretation of 'privacy', not 'sodomy'.

According to USMilitary.about.com Article 125 is still the law.

Your post says nothing about the Article being 'struck down'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 08:42 PM

47 posts, read 55,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
Alexander Hamilton was a Deist....SURPRISE!!!!! Many of the "Founding Fathers" were Deists, Freemasons, or both.

16% of the signers of the Declaration were Freemasons
William Ellery
Benjamin Franklin
John Hancock
Joseph Hewes
William Hooper
Robert Treat Paine
Richard Stockton
George Walton
William Whipple

33% of the signers of the Constitution were Freemasons
Guning Bedford Jr
John Blair
David Brearly
Jacob Broom
Daniel Carrol
Jonathan Dayton
John Dickinson
Benjamin Franklin
Nicholas Gilman
Rufus King
James McHenry
William Paterson
George Washington

46% of the Generals in the Continental Army were Freemasons (I'm not going to go through all the names but 33 of the 74 Generals were Freemasons)

Other notable non-Christians who were instrumental to the founding of the United States were:

John Adams - Deist
Thomas Paine - Desit
Samual Adams - Deist
Ethan Allen - Deist
Alexander Hamilton -Deist
Thomas Jefferson - Deist
James Madison - Deist

This whole BS about this being a Christian Nation is just that -- BS. Freemasonry had a FAR more reaching influence than Christianity. Shoot, I'm a Comanche Indian and I know that (they are YOUR Founding Fathers - not mine). But keep believing your own propaganda.

As to the original question, IF this god (whatever it is and if it exists) has a problem with gays, then it will deal with it. I really don't know why some folks can't just leave those people alone and mind their own dang business. The government needs to stay out of people's way. The liberals are digging in your pocketbook; the Christian conservatives are digging into your personal life. I am tired of both of them.
Only one refutation is needed to show the lack of credibility in your statement:

[SIZE=+1]Richard Stockton[/SIZE]

JUDGE; SIGNER OF THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE
[A]s my children will have frequent occasion of perusing this instrument, and may probably be particularly impressed with the last words of their father, I think it proper here not only to subscribe to the entire belief of the great and leading doctrines of the Christian religion, such as the being of God; the universal defection and depravity of human nature; the Divinity of the person and the completeness of the redemption purchased by the blessed Savior; the necessity of the opera¬tions of the Divine Spirit; of Divine faith accompanied with an habitual virtuous life; and the universality of the Divine Providence: but also, in the bowels of a father’s affection, to exhort and charge [my children] that the fear of God is the beginning of wisdom, that the way of life held up in the Christian system is calculated for the most complete happiness that can be enjoyed in this mortal state, [and] that all occasions of vice and immorality is injurious either im¬mediately or consequentially – even in this life.

Will of Richard Stockton, dated May 20, 1780.

Old 06-13-2009, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
That's a good thing too. Otherwise the Salem witch trials wouldn't have been limited to Salem. The inquest would have continued in America. Slavery would continue to be tolerated, and American Indians would still be "savages."

It is good that common law ascribes to a higher moral code than Christianity does.
Your statement is incorrect in every way. I didn't quote Jefferson and Common Law in England was started by King Ethelbert in the 6th Century, and he based his rulings on Scripture. Christianity is the Common Law.

Old 06-13-2009, 08:51 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,505,038 times
Quote:
Article XI of the Treaty of Tripoli (8 Stat 154, Treaty Series 358): Article 11

As the government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian Religion--as it has in itself no character or enmity against the laws, religion or tranquility of Musselmen--and as the said States never have entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mehomitan nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries.
From the Treaty of Tripoli was signed in Tripoli on November 4th, 1796. The English text of the treaty was approved by the U.S. Senate on June 7, 1797 and ratified by President John Adams on June 10, 1797. Based upon the date on which it was passed, and the fact that it was approved by both the U.S. Senate and the President, I think it fairly represents the opinion of the time.

Old 06-13-2009, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by our founding truth View Post
Christianity is the Common Law.
This is clearly not true. You can not reduce Common Law to Christianity.

Old 06-13-2009, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb09 View Post
Not. True. At all. Actually, when our founding fathers sat down to write the constitution, an idea about abolishing slavery came up. But, they were just trying to get the states to ratify the new constitution (and they knew, with that little tid bit about getting rid of the south's piggy bank, it wasn't gonna happen). Low and behold, about seventy years later...no more slavery.

This single statement is so ignorant that I'm kind of shaking my head right now.

Unprotected sex amongst homosexuals and heterosexuals cause disease and death. It's not a homosexuality thing, it's a being too careless to be safe thing. Please, pick up a history book and a health science one before you make yourself appear even more ignorant.

I hope you hold the same opinion of all people who do not engage in just vanilla sex so you don't seem as much as a bigot as you are now. Also, our founding fathers didn't execute people for deviant sexual behavior. Hell, one of our founding fathers was a deviant himself (Ben Franklin anyone?).

Because the membrane of the anus is more susceptible to HIV than a vagina is. A vagina has a lower pH and can thwart off STD's better than an anus can. I wonder, what are you trying to suggest?

My friend, I invite you to use Google. Such a wonderful and bestowed friend he is to all of us. Inviting us to use his vast knowledge of the world with a few strokes of the keyboard and the click of the mouse.

The most astounding results he brings up that will debunk your argument within mere seconds. Wouldn't you like to use him? He doesn't mind at all.
Your post is just as ignorant as the previous ones:

That if any man shall lie with mankind as he lieth with womankind, both of them have committed abomination; they both shall be put to death. [SIZE=-2]10[/SIZE] CONNECTICUT The Public Statute Laws of the State of Connecticut (Hartford: Hudson and Goodwin, 1808), Book I, p. 295.

[T]he detestable and abominable vice of buggery [sodomy] . . . be from henceforth adjudged felony . . . and that the offenders being hereof convicted by verdict, confession, or outlawry [unlawful flight to avoid prosecution], shall suffer such pains of death and losses and penalties of their goods. SOUTH CAROLINA
Alphabetical Digest of the Public Statute Laws of South-Carolina (Charleston: John Hoff, 1814), Vol. I, p. 99
That if any man lieth with mankind as he lieth with a woman, they both shall suffer death. VERMONT
Statutes of the State of Vermont (Bennington, 1791), p. 74

The other states were the same.

Old 06-13-2009, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
HUH? I'm going to have to ask you for references to prove that statement, because, in all my years of reading about this subject, I've never found anything that even hinted at such nonsense.
That's because you are unaware of the truth, as is most of the entire world. Jesus Christ and Him Crucified is always foolishness to those who perish.

Old 06-13-2009, 09:00 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,342,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by our founding truth View Post
Read the founding fathers and Natural Law.

Here is the Father of the Bill of Rights, most responsible for giving us our rights:

"By in inevitable chain of cause and effect, national sins are punished by national calamities"
-George Mason, Father of the Bill of Rights.

What does this have to do with homosexuals

Old 06-13-2009, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Actually reading that article it was about a male and a female having sex, and they over-turned a conviction due to their interpretation of 'privacy', not 'sodomy'.

According to USMilitary.about.com Article 125 is still the law.

Your post says nothing about the Article being 'struck down'.
Google the court case, and you will see that law has been stuck down as unconstitutional. It doesn't matter if it's still on the books. Heck, abortion is still illegal in a lot of states, ON THE BOOKS. But it is no longer enforceable.

Similarly, Sodom, regardless of whether it has been officially repealed, is no longer illegal in the military. No one will be criminally punished for sodomy, straight or gay.

Old 06-13-2009, 11:25 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,305,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I realize we've had a ton of threads regarding homosexuality but I'd like to ask a question that I don't think I've read on any of those threads. Many years ago a homosexual act was illegal in many states and gradually those laws were either not enforced or were overturned by the Courts. I can recall an interview with a man in California who was associated with an extremely anti-gay group who supported the concept of not only making it illegal to engage in same sex activity but to also make it a crime that could result in the death penalty. Of course even the most right wing fundamentalists would probably not go that far but I'm wondering what those of you who are opposed to homosexuality would actually do in terms of legislation if you had the power to do so. In many Islamic nations people who are caught engaging in same sex activities can be sent to prison. So my question is this, just how far would your anti-gay point of view go if you were able to force your will on society? Would you make homosexual sex illegal, send people to prison, or would you simply be satisfied that gays and lesbians can't get married in most states?
Personally I don't think or care about homosexuals having sex. I'm sure there are other Christians just like me who don't sit around and think about there sex life.

There are more important things in the world to think about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality