Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2009, 07:25 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,136,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
As you do unto the least of your brethren, so do you unto me.
Too many Christians pretend not to see sin in this world.
Too many turn a blind eye to their Christian teachings...The Bible does not support "Live and let Live" when it comes to getting involved and helping people see the error of their ways.

We are called "The light of the world" for a reason...

We in the church are to be the ones who speak up when we see evil that everyone else pretends to not see.
We are to stand up for what is right.
We are to stand against what the bible calls evil and a sin.
Why then don't you just clean up your own back yard instead of always judging others that do no harm to anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 07:45 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,799,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Somone speaks.

You wish them physical violence,

and THEY are ignorant morons?

hmm.
Oh come now, I only called for a well deserved and educational slap. Your god calls for far more violent measures for much more minor offenses. Are you calling your god an ignorant moron? hmmmm...

"And he went up from thence unto Bethel: and as he was going up by the way, there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head. And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them"
2 Kings 2:23-24

He that curseth his father, or his mother, shall surely be put to death.
Exodus 21:17

But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me.

Luke, 19, 27

And I won't go into what he commanded be done to the Midianite men, women and children.. (can you say "genocide")

Old 07-02-2009, 07:50 PM

3,067 posts, read 4,103,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Why then don't you just clean up your own back yard instead of always judging others that do no harm to anyone?
I have many people all so darn ready to point out my flaws....I'm so blessed!

One of the reasons I don't do anything wrong is that I have so many people watching every move I make.
They are looking for a sign, some weakness, or some point where I don't act as a Christian should.

Have you noticed I never attack anyone personally?
Have you noticed I never give back in kind?
I never call people names or use bad words, or stuff like that no matter what I get called or what bad things they say about my Lord..

I also know that if I ever wrote one harsh word on this topic that it would be copy/pasted around my neck forever..LOL

So, To keep us from committing a sin God gave us the Bible.
To keep us from not paying attention to the Bible God gave us each other.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:02 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,136,097 times
Quote:
I have many people all so darn ready to point out my flaws....I'm so blessed!

One of the reasons I don't do anything wrong is that I have so many people watching every move I make.
They are looking for a sign, some weakness, or some point where I don't act as a Christian should.

Have you noticed I never attack anyone personally?
Have you noticed I never give back in kind?
I never call people names or use bad words, or stuff like that no matter what I get called or what bad things they say about my Lord..

I also know that if I ever wrote one harsh word on this topic that it would be copy/pasted around my neck forever..LOL

So, To keep us from committing a sin God gave us the Bible.
To keep us from not paying attention to the Bible God gave us each other.
You think you are prefect? Then why do I see you making hurtful statements about others? I see you trying to whitewash your prejudice and hurtful comments with the bible....Not exactly kind in my book.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
You think you are prefect? Then why do I see you making hurtful statements about others?.
Not perfect, but fully forgiven...as are all us Christians!

and I never, ever post a "hurtful" comment to anyone.
(Check my posts out to see this)
However I do post what I can read in the text and sometimes that does hurt people's feelings.

But should a Christian care that the bible's teachings hurt the feelings of the sinners?...
nope
, their feelings are moot.

The only thing you have to be very careful about is sticking close to the text.
The text is my guide.
If the person just does not like the message of the Bible?, well, that's just too bad, get over it.

so to review:
If we all stick close to the text no one should end up with hurt feelings right?

Old 07-02-2009, 08:40 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,338,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I realize we've had a ton of threads regarding homosexuality but I'd like to ask a question that I don't think I've read on any of those threads. Many years ago a homosexual act was illegal in many states and gradually those laws were either not enforced or were overturned by the Courts. I can recall an interview with a man in California who was associated with an extremely anti-gay group who supported the concept of not only making it illegal to engage in same sex activity but to also make it a crime that could result in the death penalty. Of course even the most right wing fundamentalists would probably not go that far but I'm wondering what those of you who are opposed to homosexuality would actually do in terms of legislation if you had the power to do so. In many Islamic nations people who are caught engaging in same sex activities can be sent to prison. So my question is this, just how far would your anti-gay point of view go if you were able to force your will on society? Would you make homosexual sex illegal, send people to prison, or would you simply be satisfied that gays and lesbians can't get married in most states?

As a Christian, any theocracy scares me.

Nevertheless there may be reasons to legislate sexual behavior.

For example,
  • pedophlia is clearly an abuse to children.and should be illegal
  • adultery is an abuse to the spouse and children if any, and is legally addressed in divorce court.
  • polygamy is illegal and seems to have negative social consequences.
  • I think bestiality is illegal. I quess Peta supports it ( )
On the other hand, fornication is not illegal. Could be because there is no percieved societal damage ( although there could be an argument for it )

So, should fornication just between the opposite sex be legal?
Doesn't seem legally fair.
So let everyone fornicate.

As a Christian, I have my own opinions about the best use of the gift of sexuality, but I would never want my beliefs codified as law. And would actually be willing to fight to prevent them from becoming so.

Regarding marriage. maybe we should have two terms: "judeo christian marriage" and marriage. I for one, don't want to see my faiths understanding of the sacrament of marriage diluted. One the other hand, I believe ALL people should be to enter into a legally binding relationship with whoever they want, that is equally recognized by the government.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:54 PM

I would support the Gays getting the right to form life-long Civil Unions that give them the same rights as normal married men and women.

I think we just should protect with a law the traditional understanding of the term "married"

I think that when we say someone is getting "married" it would always mean that there are a man and woman...case closed.

In the same way, whenever someone says they are getting united in a "Civil Union" it should always mean that the two people are of the same sex.

So we are just keeping the terms in a more traditional understanding.
Just like when you say you are "straight" it means you are attracted to the opposite sex
and when you say you are "Gay" it means you are into members of the same sex.

So I am not talking about "discrimination" of any sort.
But I am talking about a careful "definition" of our terms

Last edited by alanMolstad; 07-02-2009 at 09:13 PM..

Old 07-02-2009, 10:19 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,752,146 times
Quote:
Love thy neighbor as thyself....no greater cause you can do for another person is to warn them that unless they repent and change they will not enter into the Kingdom....
That might make a great sermon in a church full of people who believe as you do. But do you not understand how hurtful and ignorant such words sound to those who have already come to the understanding that they don't share your beliefs? And that they have no intention of ever sharing them?

Old 07-02-2009, 10:31 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,593,334 times
Quote:
I would support the Gays getting the right to form life-long Civil Unions that give them the same rights as normal married men and women.

I think we just should protect with a law the traditional understanding of the term "married"

I think that when we say someone is getting "married" it would always mean that there are a man and woman...case closed.

In the same way, whenever someone says they are getting united in a "Civil Union" it should always mean that the two people are of the same sex.

So we are just keeping the terms in a more traditional understanding.
Just like when you say you are "straight" it means you are attracted to the opposite sex
and when you say you are "Gay" it means you are into members of the same sex.

So I am not talking about "discrimination" of any sort.
But I am talking about a careful "definition" of our terms
I liked it best when gay meant happy.

Gay's now are a minority because of how they conduct their sex life, where as some one else may be considered a minority class because they came from another country. Or woman minority as they make/made up the smaller portion of the work place.

Any one see anything bizarre about what minority classification on a person's sex life?

I don't know.

If two men want to , what did you say, have a civil union together, let 'em go and knock themselves out, get married. Two woman, go, knock yourself out. Adopt children pay your taxes, abide by the driving laws, speak only when spoken too... or no, we do have free speech, well for a time any way...but whatever

I don't have sex, can I file for a minority classification based on the fact that I do not have sex. (too much information) There are quite a few people that don't have sex. We should unite. What would we call our selves? The Happy Group!

I'm sorry, its just nuts.

When the Government has to step in and govern our moral obligations and help us to be descent human beings, baring rape, murder, theft, etc... there is definitely something wrong with us.

And if we can not refrain ourselves from public displays of sex, then I am back to, let's just let everyone go running necked in the streets.

Keep working on those definitions Alan as your are reminding me of the book, "1984". Read the book, you'll get it.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
That might make a great sermon in a church full of people who believe as you do.
No one lights a lamp and then hides it under a basket.
You light the lamp and hang it so that all may see it's illumination and not stumble as they walk.

We are the light of the world....
A very wise man told us this, and I tend to trust he knew all about us when he called us this.

"Go into all the world..." was the commandment given.
Not just- "Go talk to people that already agree with you"...LOL

Any fool can stand up and speak the truth to others who already agree 100% with what he is going to say.
But the true Warrior of Truth has to be ready always to stand up and give his testimony when and where duty calls.
Be it in the lions den or on the internet, whatever, be always ready and willing to speak up as to what the text teaches on the topics of the hour.

To that end I hope I always show that I am very handy with the text and always willing to share my views of what the text teaches about sin and salvation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality