Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2009, 11:52 PM

397 posts, read 1,025,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
I'm a Christian.

You cannot make being homosexual illegal any more than you can make being blond illegal. I would, in fact, insist on having a society where a person has the opportunity to be the most productive, happy, self fulfilled person they can be. If this includes a short or long term homosexual relationship, then so be it.

In fact, I would go so far as to insist that, as in some European countries, that ALL marriages where rights and responsibilities are involved, be done as a contract, in accordance with contract law, and filed at the courthouse like any other contract giving public notice. If a couple (or group) wants sanctification by a church, then there should be a ceremony at that church giving the union/merging its blessing.
Hi:

I am not religious, but I must applaud you for this post. I wholeheartedly
agree.

I think the solution to this whole marriage dilemma is quite simply for the government to retreat from endorsing marriages and offer civil unions to everyone, incl. opposite-sex and same-sex couples. Then, it would be up
to individual churches/religious organizations to confer marriages.

The way this whole thing has been handled here in California is disgusting, and I cannot believe that the US's most progressive state was able to act
in such a foolish way. Because of this patently unfair burden placed on same-sex couples, many of our dear friends cannot enjoy the same benefits that my husband and I enjoy.

The trend is hopeful, and hopefully California will get itself back on the list
of progress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 12:08 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,593,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I realize we've had a ton of threads regarding homosexuality but I'd like to ask a question that I don't think I've read on any of those threads. Many years ago a homosexual act was illegal in many states and gradually those laws were either not enforced or were overturned by the Courts. I can recall an interview with a man in California who was associated with an extremely anti-gay group who supported the concept of not only making it illegal to engage in same sex activity but to also make it a crime that could result in the death penalty. Of course even the most right wing fundamentalists would probably not go that far but I'm wondering what those of you who are opposed to homosexuality would actually do in terms of legislation if you had the power to do so. In many Islamic nations people who are caught engaging in same sex activities can be sent to prison. So my question is this, just how far would your anti-gay point of view go if you were able to force your will on society? Would you make homosexual sex illegal, send people to prison, or would you simply be satisfied that gays and lesbians can't get married in most states?
I think we should let every one run naked in the streets. Thereby, bypassing any controversy what-so-ever.

Old 06-18-2009, 08:35 AM

1,266 posts, read 1,799,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
I think we should let every one run naked in the streets. Thereby, bypassing any controversy what-so-ever.
I'm all for that - except for the running part. Absolutely nothing wrong with the nude human body.

Old 07-01-2009, 12:59 PM

63 posts, read 105,251 times
The question should be, "why are homosexual seeking to destroy the legal rights of CHRISTIANS?"

Old 07-01-2009, 01:07 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,669,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega_Missionary View Post
The question should be, "why are homosexual seeking to destroy the legal rights of CHRISTIANS?"
I don't think they are, they are people looking for equal rights. Why should just Christians have these rights? Not everyone believes in the same. What they do has no effect on me or my marriage what so ever.

Old 07-01-2009, 01:08 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,669,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlueSky_ View Post
I'm all for that - except for the running part. Absolutely nothing wrong with the nude human body.
You ought to see my neighbor, you might think differently!!

Old 07-01-2009, 03:39 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,645,971 times
Quote:
Why do Christians think they own marriage yet flock to court for a divorce?

Old 07-01-2009, 03:49 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,861,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus_Antonis View Post
When in Rome, do as the Romans do
Is this a way of suggesting that one should indulge in orgies?

Old 07-01-2009, 03:49 PM

67 posts, read 151,490 times
Personally I feel that all people no matter what you use to categorize them should have the same rights as all other groups. As OTF stated earlier, "they are victomizing themselves", i say who cares. Its isn't my responsibility to make sure that people I have never had any control over live a sin free life. Live by your own scriptures. Personally, I hope the second comming will be soon so, "God" can have all you people making life a pain for the rest of us and we can get on with ours. The scriptures/bible/kuran what ever you wanna call em, aren't the final word for all. I do not believe in Christ or Satan or your God. I don't rape, murder, steal, cheat or any of the other things your scriptures teach. My beliefs are my own and who are you to try to make all things that your book says are wrong illegal for someone who had never followed those teachings. By your way of thinking, I would have been burned at the stake long ago. Progress is real, you can either accept it or be left behind, your choice. As for me, until we are all equal in the eyes of the government (at least those with a legal right to be here), I will continue to join the rallies of the minority, even though I am part of the majority in most subjects.

Old 07-01-2009, 04:09 PM

15,861 posts, read 21,438,888 times
Quote:
What legal rights does allowing gay marriage remove from Christians? Churches will not be forced to perform such marriages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality