Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 03:45 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
The God of the Bible tells us in the last days he will allow the Jewish people to rebuild their ancient cities, and return to the land of Israel. He will do this, not for their sakes, but for HIS holy name. God tells us, the Jewish people went into exile for (THEIR SIN), because they were unfaithful to God. Don't blame me for what the Jewish Bible states about the Jewish people. The Bible, and God could care less about your political correctness.

And Ron Wyatt's discovery of the Red Sea crossing, and Mt. Sinai was confirmed by others. So it appears you keep forgetting to mention that.
Before endorsing Ron Wyatt, it might be as well to check his claims

This is a good start.

"Bill Crouse, founder of Christian Information Ministries International, has carefully researched Wyatt's credentials and claims. Perhaps his evaluation best summarizes the controversy surrounding Wyatt:

Evidence generally stands or falls on its own merits. Rarely is there a need to delve into the nature and character of the one making a claim. A careful evaluation of the facts is usually sufficient. Unless, of course, the one making the claim calls attention to himself in such a way that makes us openly skeptical. Would you…not question someone who not only claims to have found Noah's Ark, but also every archaeological site of interest to Christians?....

...Further doubt as to Wyatt's credibility was supplied by Dr. Jim Fleming, founder and former director of the Jerusalem Center for Biblical Studies (located at Tantur) and an editorial advisor to Biblical Archaeology Review. He told me in the summer of 1993 that he had originally been asked by Wyatt to be his archaeological advisor during his excavations at Mount Calvary. Because Dr. Dan Bahat, a Jerusalem archaeologist and lecturer at Hebrew University, had agreed to sponsor the dig, Fleming tentatively agreed. After spending time with Wyatt at the site, however, Fleming became alarmed at both his claims and techniques. In one instance, Fleming saw Wyatt drop a hammer down into a large crack in the mountain. Later, Wyatt offered as proof that he had discovered the Ark a metal-detector reading that indicated a metal object within the rock. Fleming says he left after this incident. Others have given similar disturbing reports concerning Wyatt's conduct at the site. One such observer, the Reverend John Woods, noted, “I saw him explaining to a group that a piece of metal embedded in the face of the Garden Tomb was part of the seal Pilate had placed upon the tomb. In fact it was a piece of shrapnel from the war [in 1967]."

Noah's Ark, the Ark of the Covenant, and Ron Wyatt

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 07-18-2009 at 03:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2009, 03:56 PM

7,628 posts, read 10,973,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Before endorsing Ron Wyatt, it might be as well to check his claims

The is a good start.

"Bill Crouse, founder of Christian Information Ministries International, has carefully researched Wyatt's credentials and claims. Perhaps his evaluation best summarizes the controversy surrounding Wyatt:

Evidence generally stands or falls on its own merits. Rarely is there a need to delve into the nature and character of the one making a claim. A careful evaluation of the facts is usually sufficient. Unless, of course, the one making the claim calls attention to himself in such a way that makes us openly skeptical. Would you…not question someone who not only claims to have found Noah's Ark, but also every archaeological site of interest to Christians?"

Noah's Ark, the Ark of the Covenant, and Ron Wyatt
I believe as Wyatt got older, he went the way of many older men. I do not believe in his Noah's Ark discovery, because it does not agree with the Biblical location. And I believe what he suggest is Noahs Ark is simply a land formation. His Ark of the Covenant discovery leaves me with a big question mark as well. Yet, his discovery of the Red Sea Crossing site, and Mt. Sinia has been confirmed by others. And those I do believe in.

Old 07-18-2009, 04:01 PM

33,555 posts, read 37,155,629 times
Quote:
The God of the Bible tells us in the last days he will allow the Jewish people to rebuild their ancient cities, and return to the land of Israel. He will do this, not for their sakes, but for HIS holy name. God tells us, the Jewish people went into exile for (THEIR SIN), because they were unfaithful to God. Don't blame me for what the Jewish Bible states about the Jewish people. The Bible, and God could care less about your political correctness.

And Ron Wyatt's discovery of the Red Sea crossing, and Mt. Sinai was confirmed by others. So it appears you keep forgetting to mention that.
So you use the bible to rationalize your anti Antisemitism...I thought as much.

Wyatt's discoveries have never at any time been confirmed by any unbiased investigation, as a matter of fact they have proven to be hoaxes. You keep forgetting that little detail, as you do any that don't fit your close minded biased views.

Old 07-18-2009, 04:33 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,941,178 times
It's funny how some people point to actual places as proof that the miracles in the bible happened. It's like pointing at Louvre and saying that Dan Brown's books are all 100% true and accurate accounts of real historical events.

To address the OP:

-If you are a bible literalistic who believes in a young earth then you should look elsewhere.
-If you believe that miracles happened then you are stuck with philosophy and not history. Archeology does not support your beliefs.

Old 07-18-2009, 05:02 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,830,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Jericho. Tyre and Sidon. King David.

There are all sorts of things verified by archaeology.

Now your turn. Name some contradictions.
Quote:
The archaeological evidence revealed that the earliest Neanderthals had lived in Europe about 200,000 years ago. But then, about 30,000 years ago, they disappeared - just at the time when the first "modern humans" appear in Europe.
BBC NEWS | Science/Nature | The icy truth behind Neanderthals

Old 07-18-2009, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Jericho. Tyre and Sidon. King David.

There are all sorts of things verified by archaeology.

Now your turn. Name some contradictions.
Quote:
In the Chronicle article, Tel Avis University archeologist Ze'ev Herzog is quoted as saying: "This is what archaeologists have learned from their excavations in the Land of Israel: the Israelites were never in Egypt, did not wander in the desert, did not conquer the land in a military campaign and did not pass it on to the 12 tribes of Israel. Perhaps even harder to swallow is the fact that the united monarchy of David and Solomon, which is described by the Bible as a regional power, was at most a small tribal kingdom."
The Bible as History: Enter Modern Archeology (http://machineslikeus.com/articles/TheBibleAsHistory3.html - broken link)

Old 07-18-2009, 05:43 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,415,683 times
Quote:
The belief that all archeological evidence proves the Bible wrong is one of the most ridiculous statements I have ever heard. Just in recent years, the discovery at a place called Tel Dan has silenced numerous skeptics of the Bible. And for years, they use to say that the story of King David and Israels two Kingdoms were nothing but Bible myths. Yet today, facts and archeological evidence has revealed, that it was the skeptics beliefs, (THAT WERE THE REAL MYTHS). Consider the link below.

David Inscription « Tel Dan Excavations
In case you missed it, I stated specifically...

"Contemporary" commentary (contemporary to biblical authors) of course would turn out to be accurate. However, the myths in the bible are all proven wrong by archeological and archival evidences, or lack thereof, and/or simple scientific investigation.

What you state would be akin to me writting about Civil War era Atlanta.

As I stated, none of the myths in your scitpures have been proven, and despite 2 thousand years of attempting to do so, never will be proven.

Just becasue some of the scripture authors knew about a town down the road doesn't prove your scriptures infallable or accurate. Sorry.

Old 07-18-2009, 05:56 PM

This is an excellent article which discusses modern scientific archaeology and the Bible!

False testament: archaeology refutes the Bible's claim to history (http://www.worldagesarchive.com/Reference_Links/False_Testament_(Harpers).htm - broken link)

The following is one quote from a mountain of information concerning biblical history.

Quote:
Israel Finkelstein, an archaeologist at Tel Aviv University, and Neil Asher Silberman, a journalist who specializes in biblical and religious subjects, point out in their recent book, The Bible Unearthed, the patriarchal tales make frequent mention of camel caravans. When, for example, Abraham sent one of his servants to look for a wife for Abraham's son, Isaac, Genesis 24 says that the emissary "took ten of his master's camels and left, taking with him all kinds of good things from his master." Yet analysis of ancient animal bones confirms that camels were not widely used for transport in the region until well after 1000 B.C. Genesis 26 tells of Isaac seeking help from a certain "Abimelech, king of the Philistines." Yet archaeological research has confirmed that the Philistines were not a presence in the area until after 1200 B.C. The wealth of detail concerning people, goods, and cities that makes the patriarchal tales so vivid and lifelike, archaeologists discovered, were reflective of a period long after the one that Albright had pinpointed. They were reflective of the mid-first millennium, not the early second.

Last edited by jojajn; 07-18-2009 at 05:57 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 07-18-2009, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Well the Bible has a great deal of unearth archeology which confirms a number of important stories. As I have stated before, in recent days skeptics who use to say that the Story of King David and Israels two Kingdoms were just Bible myths, have been silenced. Evidence recovered fom a place called Tel Dan now proves that there was a King David, Israel did have two Kingdoms. And king David did fight against the Aramaean king which confirmed the Biblical account. So here again, this is just one more Biblical story that agrees with Archeology. Consider the link below.

David Inscription « Tel Dan Excavations
The real story behind "house-of-david-inscription".

Quote:
According to the Bible, Solomon was both a master builder and an insatiable accumulator. He drank out of golden goblets, outfitted his soldiers with golden shields, maintained a fleet of sailing ships to seek out exotic treasures, kept a harem of 1,000 wives and concubines, and spent thirteen years building a palace and a richly decorated temple to house the Ark of the Covenant. Yet not one goblet, not one brick, has ever been found to indicate that such a reign existed. If David and Solomon had been important regional power brokers, one might reasonably expect their names to crop up on monuments and in the diplomatic correspondence of the day. Yet once again the record is silent. True, an inscription referring to "Ahaziahu, son of Jehoram, king of the House of David" was found in 1993 on a fragment dating from the late ninth century B.C. But that was more than a hundred years after David's death, and at most all it indicates is that David (or someone with a similar name) was credited with establishing the Judahite royal line. It hardly proves that he ruled over a powerful empire.
False testament: archaeology refutes the Bible's claim to history (http://www.worldagesarchive.com/Reference_Links/False_Testament_(Harpers).htm - broken link)

Old 07-19-2009, 04:48 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Quote:
I believe as Wyatt got older, he went the way of many older men. I do not believe in his Noah's Ark discovery, because it does not agree with the Biblical location. And I believe what he suggest is Noahs Ark is simply a land formation. His Ark of the Covenant discovery leaves me with a big question mark as well. Yet, his discovery of the Red Sea Crossing site, and Mt. Sinia has been confirmed by others. And those I do believe in.
Ok. I guess I'll have to check up, though initial checking did not make him look any better an archaeologist when young than he was when older. And those 'others' seemed to be as ignorant and deluded as he was. Nevertheless, I shall check his many Biblical discoveries.
  • Noah's Ark (the Durupinar site, for which he has been the prime promoter)
  • Stone sea anchors believed to be used by Noah to steer the vessel into the wind
  • Petrified timbers from the Ark that were used as memorials in an Armenian graveyard
  • Noah's sacrifice area at the site
  • A large stone carving near the Ark picturing 8 people coming out of the side, with a rainbow above the boat, and inscriptions in Summerian, Hurrian, and Urartian identifying this formation as the Ark of Noah
  • Trainloads of petrified pre-flood wood that had no tree rings on the site <
  • Corroded metal fittings, found in rows, delineating the "ribs of the ship," as indicated by metal detectors and especially a "molecular frequency generator"
  • A house that Noah built <
  • Stones on this house containing inscriptions that recorded details about the Deluge <LI
  • A pictograph of eight people leaving a large wave of water with a boat perched above it
  • Noah's grave
  • Mrs. Noah's grave (containing a fortune-her gold and jewelry)
  • The Ark of the Covenant (under the exact spot where Jesus was crucified)
  • The Menorah (a seven-branched candelabra), the Table of Shewbread, and the Golden Altar of Incense from the ancient Temple
  • Christ's blood, scraped off of the Mercy Seat of the Ark of the Covenant <LI
  • DNA analysis of the blood indicates that Christ was born of a virgin
  • The true site of Christ's crucifixion and the stone socket in which the cross was placed
  • Verified the tomb of Christ was the actual tomb
  • Claimed Jesus' tomb was sealed with a Roman iron spike, still visible
  • Moses' stone tablets containing the Ten Commandments, held together with golden hinges
  • Solved the problem of the construction of the pyramids
  • Also the problems in Egyptian chronology
  • Discovered the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah
  • Discovered sulfur balls from the same
  • The true site of the Israelites' Red Sea crossing
  • A stone monument near the site erected by Solomon, inscribed with the ancient Hebrew script
  • Horse and human skeletons from Pharaoh's drowned army
  • Gold covered chariot wheels and chariot parts
  • The true Mount Sinai
  • The 12 altars built by Moses in Exodus 24 <
  • The actual rock Moses struck to release water at Kadesh <
  • The site of Korah's earthquake where the ground swallowed up Korah and his followers <LI class=MsoNormal style="tab-stops: list .5in; mso-list: l1 level1 lfo3">Knows how the Shroud of Turin was forged Has cracked the code of the Copper Scroll
  • Claimed (on tape) that he can read any ancient inscription Discovered the pillars of Solomon
  • The tomb of the Patriarchs, the cave of Machpelah
  • Moses was known in Egyptian history as Thutmosa III
  • Joseph was the builder of the first pyramid
  • Storage bins Joseph used during the drought in Egypt
  • Bones of giant pre-flood people
  • Ancient Canaanite burial pots at Ashkelon

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 07-19-2009 at 04:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality