Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 09:17 PM

257 posts, read 407,912 times

Advertisements

If you see the wall next to you enough times, you've basically tested it repeatedly and you can predict it's going to be there again and again. Do you think only things you can test repeatedly exist?

If people say they saw or experienced something you couldn't test repeatedly, would you believe them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 09:41 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,904,050 times
I have no reason not to believe them. If they are just messing with my head, they are in worse shape than I am. I think people need to stop testing, and simply absorb the possibilities. We tend to analyse things to death, and just pile up too many useless facts.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:45 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,415,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LZKay1 View Post
......If people say they saw or experienced something you couldn't test repeatedly, would you believe them?
No.

There are things we haven't thought to test for, of course, or things that we ahve not developed tests and/or testing equipment for as of yet.

Doesn't mean they don't exist.

However, things that are observed by people, if real, can be replicated in a lab environment. Until this is accomplished, things that have not been through that scientific process remain opinion and hearsay, unless other evidence disproves "what was seen".

Old 07-30-2009, 04:55 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,026,409 times
Yes. I believe anything is possible whether is't proved as fact or not.

Old 07-30-2009, 05:37 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,933,540 times
Test it, duplicate it, corroborate, have someone else test it, have others try to disprove it.

If it all comes up the same, your hypothesis is now a theory. Congratulations.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:09 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,824,585 times
It's human arrogance to assume the only things that exist are the things we can see and touch. In fact, we've disproved that assumption many times (microscopes, sensors and other devices that can "see" what we cannot perceive)

But blind belief isn't any better, and has a track history of being far more destructive than science. So I guess scientific explanations are by far the lessor of two evils.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:24 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,628,860 times
There are obviously things that we can't see or fully understand such as subatomic particles so there's no question that we have alot to learn about the universe. However, your statement leaves open the possibility that we should be open minded about absolutely anything that someone tells us is true. I don't agree with that because there are so many people who believe things that are just plain stupid. I am open to any new idea but it must have some basis in fact. For example I don't believe the people who tell us they've been abducted by aliens. There's no evidence to back up any of them and their stories are very far fetched to say the least. I think we should all be open minded but also have a healthy dose of skepticism combined with a little common sense.

Old 07-30-2009, 10:02 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,933,540 times
Humans can split atoms and splice genes. I think we've earned a few arrogance points.

Old 07-30-2009, 10:26 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,941,178 times
What we can test are the methods, tools and lines of thinking that to conclude the existence or non-existence of whatever it is we are talking about.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:04 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,328,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LZKay1 View Post
If you see the wall next to you enough times, you've basically tested it repeatedly and you can predict it's going to be there again and again. Do you think only things you can test repeatedly exist?

If people say they saw or experienced something you couldn't test repeatedly, would you believe them?
I think that there are instances of things that we cannot test that do in fact exist. However, this does not mean that these things are not testable, it just means that we either are not able to test them (IE, the technology needed may not exist) or we are unaware of these things altogether - which is probable. the combined knowledge of humanity could be written on a grain of rice when compared to what there is to know.

So while there are indeed things that may not be testable, the things that are testable are much more likely to be real. If something is experienced personally and is not testable it just means that someone claims to have had an experience, it doesn't mean that they really did. But it also doesn't mean that they didn't either. In this day and age it is sadly the case that people cannot be believed very easily. That's a lesson my dad taught me at a young age - that people will feed to lines of crap for your whole life trying to get you to buy into something. So if it sounds too good to be true....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality