Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 09:48 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,709,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaraZoteBuccaneer View Post
If you are quoting sections the Bible with an accusation of God being a murderer then I would like to understand more specifics. The Bible does have verses describing violent acts being called upon others and even to be done so by people towards others, you are correct. But it seems as though you (genrally spoken to the majority)are arguing the very logic behind killing itself and not so much about the intentions of God. If you are against killing and cannot understand why God would accept it in a Creation of his making then you first need to stop the attitude and speak civily. Nobody likes kids that throw sand in the sandbox - it will turn others away from participating in what should be a reasonable discussion.
Ok so what are god's intentions in killing entire towns, babies, rape of woman ( while he may not say it, it is not stopped and does happen) mistreatment/low status of woman, abuse and so on?

Old 08-04-2009, 10:11 AM

1,301 posts, read 2,116,694 times
Well, we know for a fact that God loves slavery and animal sacrifices.

Just one lovely verse from God's true and perfect word on slaves:

Exodus 21, verse 20: If a man beats his male or female slave with a rod and the slave dies as a direct result, he must be punished, but he is not to be punished if the slave gets up after a day or two, since the slave is his property.

The would almost be funny (in morbid way) if it weren't so sad.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:16 AM

508 posts, read 1,110,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Ok so what are god's intentions in killing entire towns, babies, rape of woman ( while he may not say it, it is not stopped and does happen) mistreatment/low status of woman, abuse and so on?
You threw a lot of scenarios in together in a generalized statement but I'll respond.
If God instructed a town or people or so on to be destroyed, then his intention is for it to be destroyed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by achickenchaser View Post

Exodus 21, verse 20: If a man beats his male or female slave with a rod and the slave dies as a direct result, he must be punished, but he is not to be punished if the slave gets up after a day or two, since the slave is his property.

I don't believe the verse you were quoting from is a representation of God having love for slavery no more than yours would try to say that you're against it. I'll go back to the passage itself to read the context of the statement but remember anyone can pick anything and make it sway one way or another without paying attention to context.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:25 AM

Quote:
You threw a lot of scenarios in together in a generalized statement but I'll respond.
If God instructed a town or people or so on to be destroyed, then his intention is for it to be destroyed.

The verse you were quoting from is not a representation of God's love of slavery and sayes nothing of sacrifice.
So god's intentions are to destroy and kill. Those things and love do not go hand in hand. My problem with the whole deal is,, I dont tell my kids they have to love or worship only me with the threat that if they dont I will either kill them or send them to a place to be tortured for all eternity. You cant force love, otherwise it is not love but fear. I would never want my kids to fear me.. Whole concept is wrong and in my mind a God a true God would never have to threaten in order to receive love.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:29 AM

508 posts, read 1,110,518 times
Well unfortunately you're taking two very big extremes from the concept of a creator God and lumping them together. One act taken from context, looked at alone and judged does not represent an entire purpose. In order for one life to flourish, another is taken. You do this every day when you eat. God's reasons are his own but we cannot deny this is how the world is.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:32 AM

One more of the Bible's greatest hits when it comes to slavery:

Exodus 21:1

Now these are the ordinances which you shall set before them. When you buy a Hebrew slave, he shall serve six years, and in the seventh he shall go out free, for nothing. If he comes in single, he shall go out single; if he comes in married, then his wife shall go out with him. If his master gives him a wife and she bears him sons or daughters, the wife and her children shall be her master's and he shall go out alone. But if the slave plainly says, 'I love my master, my wife, and my children; I will not go out free,' then his master shall bring him to God, and he shall bring him to the door or the doorpost; and his master shall bore his ear through with an awl; and he shall serve him for life.

It's either true or it isn't. Either God didn't write that part of the Bible or he did. All of the Bible is God's word or it isn't. Which is it?

Why isn't "thou shall not enslave" one of the Ten Commandments?

Old 08-04-2009, 10:36 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,451,103 times
Quote:

This is a part of law that was given by Moses. God gave only ten commandments. It was Moses who extended this to the 613 laws. These are man-made, not God-made laws. This is how Isreal interpreted the 10 for specific instances. Is is right? Not always, but that was a matter of state interpretation. Just like we cannot kill in America, Roe v Wade overrides this for a specific circumtance. Is killing morally wrong? Yes, yet the state allows this.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Well unfortunately you're taking two very big extremes from the concept of a creator God and lumping them together. One act taken from context, looked at alone and judged does not represent an entire purpose. In order for one life to flourish, another is taken. You do this every day when you eat. God's reasons are his own but we cannot deny this is how the world is.
How so, the basic message is love me ,worship me or burn in hellfire. His top four commandments are all about him. God should not have an ego, there should be no need for it. He kills, because people do not believe.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
This is a part of law that was given by Moses. God gave only ten commandments. It was Moses who extended this to the 613 laws. These are man-made, not God-made laws. This is how Isreal interpreted the 10 for specific instances. Is is right? Not always, but that was a matter of state interpretation. Just like we cannot kill in America, Roe v Wade overrides this for a specific circumtance. Is killing morally wrong? Yes, yet the state allows this.
So some of the things in the Bible do come from man and not God. That actually makes sense, but I'm not so certain some believers would accept that.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:50 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,451,103 times
Quote:
One more of the Bible's greatest hits when it comes to slavery:

Exodus 21:1

Now these are the ordinances which you shall set before them. When you buy a Hebrew slave, he shall serve six years, and in the seventh he shall go out free, for nothing. If he comes in single, he shall go out single; if he comes in married, then his wife shall go out with him. If his master gives him a wife and she bears him sons or daughters, the wife and her children shall be her master's and he shall go out alone. But if the slave plainly says, 'I love my master, my wife, and my children; I will not go out free,' then his master shall bring him to God, and he shall bring him to the door or the doorpost; and his master shall bore his ear through with an awl; and he shall serve him for life.

It's either true or it isn't. Either God didn't write that part of the Bible or he did. All of the Bible is God's word or it isn't. Which is it?

Why isn't "thou shall not enslave" one of the Ten Commandments?
You appear to have a problem with slavery as if it is a bad institution. If correctly done a person with no skills can find a place of refuge, roof over the head, meals and the chance to prosper and learn a trade. The slave owner gets additional labor.

I think you are tainted by the society you live in, like countries like America. You think you are free, yet, if you are left to your own devices and fail, the state still protects you and you can get wellfare. So it is a modified form of freedom. In other countries in the past there was never a scolarship waiting or free schooling for 12 years. You couldn't go on welfare and if you died on the road, that is where you would be found unless someone buried you on accont of the stink or if the vultures tore you appart and digested you.

So in certain circumstances slavery is good. So, God does not have a problem with slavery. He does have a problem if you are a master and you abuse your slaves or if you are a slave and you mistreat you master or steal from him. Basically if you go against the ten commandments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality