Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 12:27 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,937,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by effie g-tad View Post
after active agression would cut out my smilie?
Well, san... don't just sit there with a silly look on your face! Answer the lady!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 12:33 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,740,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
The up-to-date sum of all scientific analysis in biology, geological column review, astrophysics, plate tectonics, fossil analysis, isotopic dating, folklore, tarot card reading and DNA genome mapping has, categorically, concluded that genetic mutation, drift and DNA segment replacement is solely responsible for the long-and short-term modification of organisms.

Leading, inexoribly, to....

Species, sub-species and even "races". Variations deep within the organism's DNA have now been accurately tracked and documented. It's completely unambiguous (not caused by any other process) and irrefutible!

Evolution is a reliable fact
, and is now being taught as such in reputable, intellectually honest schools without any reservations.

Those who deny it are welcomed to purchase a recent-edition biology textbook, or to attend, say, Intro. Biology 001 in any Community College or University. Knowledge is Power!

Disbelief in Evolution is so.... so..... 19th Century! Welcome to the 21st Century!
I was just watching "The Journey of Man" the other night.
It came out in 2003 and traces the very interesting journeys of humans out of Africa based on DNA.
I'm not that scientifically oriented to be able to talk about it with much intelligence and also my memory sucks.
But it was fascinating and refutes some previous assumptions about the various paths people took when they left the African continent.
It also beautifully illumines the truth that we truly are one big human family and we are all related.
Anyway, while watching the film, i was wondering how creationists deal with this science and how, based upon it, they can continue to hold to their myths.
And by the way, it also challenges both the creation stories held by the aboriginal folks in Australia (the DNA markers indicate that when people first left Africa they walked a coastal route that eventually took them to Australia) and the creation stories of the Navajo in North America.
Although, i think that if these "myths" were understood on more subtle levels (and much less literally) there would not be the apparent conflict and this applies to the biblical creation myth as well.
Both the indigenous people in Australia and the Navajo in this country had a very difficult time digesting / accepting the information that the scientist (who has been doing the DNA work and ultimately followed the DNA trails) was sharing with them as it challenges long held beliefs about who they are and where they "came from".
The biblical creationists are similarly challenged.
There is a seeming conflict but not an essential one.
This should be resolved as the rational / intellectual become integrated with creative, intuitive, imaginary (not imaginary as in "not real" btw) "soul-scape".
But, how do biblical creationist respond to DNA evidence?
Is there a creationist who has seen this documentary and can answer that question?

Last edited by coyoteskye; 08-09-2009 at 12:58 PM..

Old 08-09-2009, 12:57 PM

5,298 posts, read 4,599,878 times
Quote:
Evolution is a reliable fact, and is now being taught as such in reputable, intellectually honest schools without any reservations.

Those who deny it are welcomed to purchase a recent-edition biology textbook, or to attend, say, Intro. Biology 001 in any Community College or University. Knowledge is Power!

Disbelief in Evolution is so.... so..... 19th Century! Welcome to the 21st Century!

Evolution is utter nonsense, which is backed by the science of ignoring God. Knowledge is useless without common sense. Common sense tells me that it is utterly, utterly impossible for something to evoluve from nothing, thats absolute garbage! Total nonsense. I don't care what science has cooked up, nothing can prove that matter or life evolved from absolute zero.

At its base, evolution is an effort to dismiss God as creator. Its almost surreal that people buy into something evolving from nothing, it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, but it proves that people are gulible to accepting nonsense, rather than accepting Gods reality. And they will dress up that nonsense with all kinds of surreal support.

Peace.

Old 08-09-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
Evolution is utter nonsense, which is backed by the science of ignoring God. Knowledge is useless without common sense. Common sense tells me that it is utterly, utterly impossible for something to evoluve from nothing, thats absolute garbage! Total nonsense. I don't care what science has cooked up, nothing can prove that matter or life evolved from absolute zero.

At its base, evolution is an effort to dismiss God as creator. Its almost surreal that people buy into something evolving from nothing, it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, but it proves that people are gulible to accepting nonsense, rather than accepting Gods reality. And they will dress up that nonsense with all kinds of surreal support.

Peace.
Why does accepting evolution conflict with Spirit?
What is the essential conflict?

Old 08-09-2009, 01:17 PM

5,298 posts, read 4,599,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
Why does accepting evolution conflict with Spirit?
What is the essential conflict?

The conflict is this, John 1:3;" ALL things came into Being by Christ, and apart from him NOTHING came into being that has come into being." There is no such thing as the evolution of Earth, of Man, or anythingelse. God is the orgin of anything that exist, conversely, any other explination is only an effort to exclude him from creation.

There is absolutely no relation between Spirit and Evolution, Spirits do not Evolve, they are constant. The earth or any animal is not evolving, they are as they were created. Things grow and change, because they were designed to do just that.

Evolution is the attempt to explain creation without creator, that is the conflict. Its the same old effort to move God away, and give humanity more self reliance, more self generated power, more ways to define a goddless society, and make the Atheist more comfortable with their rejection of God.

Peace.

Old 08-09-2009, 01:50 PM

Quote:
The conflict is this, John 1:3;" ALL things came into Being by Christ, and apart from him NOTHING came into being that has come into being." There is no such thing as the evolution of Earth, of Man, or anythingelse. God is the orgin of anything that exist, conversely, any other explination is only an effort to exclude him from creation.

There is absolutely no relation between Spirit and Evolution, Spirits do not Evolve, they are constant. The earth or any animal is not evolving, they are as they were created. Things grow and change, because they were designed to do just that.

Evolution is the attempt to explain creation without creator, that is the conflict. Its the same old effort to move God away, and give humanity more self reliance, more self generated power, more ways to define a goddless society, and make the Atheist more comfortable with their rejection of God.

Peace.
I said Spirit .... as in the Living Spirit ... not spirits.

There are many, many, many, many intelligent and educated people who are very spiritual, who do believe in God and who accept evolution and who understand that spirituality does not exclude evolutionary processes.

A rose unfolds and opens.
Some will see this process through scientific eyes.
Others will see it as a miraculous and "Godfilled" event.
Others will see it as both a natural/biological and spiritual event.
There is no essential conflict.
The conflict (the conflict which you exemplify) is mind/man made.
So it's actually you and those who perceive similarly who are in denial of the truth because you perceive a split and/or conflict where, in truth, there in none.
and finally:
You said, "The earth or any animal is not evolving, they are as they were created. Things grow and change, because they were designed to do just that."
So, which is it?
Nothing that was created changes?
Or things are changing as part of their design?

Old 08-09-2009, 02:00 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,769,868 times
Quote:
The up-to-date sum of all scientific analysis in biology, geological column review, astrophysics, plate tectonics, fossil analysis, isotopic dating, folklore, tarot card reading and DNA genome mapping has, categorically, concluded that genetic mutation, drift and DNA segment replacement is solely responsible for the long-and short-term modification of organisms.

Leading, inexoribly, to....

Species, sub-species and even "races". Variations deep within the organism's DNA have now been accurately tracked and documented. It's completely unambiguous (not caused by any other process) and irrefutible!

Evolution is a reliable fact
, and is now being taught as such in reputable, intellectually honest schools without any reservations.

And your point?

We all know rifleman and those like him don't believe in peer review.

I gotta commend Kerby for the "closed mind" jpeg. Good find, Tony and Dalai Lama (I know where to find him for you) will smooch you on each cheek, as a reward

Emergency Edit: I just saw your profile I always thought you were a lady. Me and the Dalai Lama wish to shake hands with you, instead.

Old 08-09-2009, 02:02 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,886,530 times
Quote:
The conflict is this, John 1:3;" ALL things came into Being by Christ, and apart from him NOTHING came into being that has come into being."
Well evolution doesn't say that 'something came from nothing'. Evolution is not concerned with how life started. It is concerned with what happened to life once it did start. You're obviously another one that criticizes evolution without having the faintest idea of what evolution is about.

Also, you can't comprehend how 'something comes from nothing' yet you have no problem accepting that your god comes from nothing. Odd!

Old 08-09-2009, 02:23 PM

33,577 posts, read 37,212,408 times
Quote:
Well, san... don't just sit there with a silly look on your face! Answer the lady!
My look is not silly....It's confusion...I would answer if I could understand her.

Old 08-09-2009, 03:47 PM

7,628 posts, read 10,982,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
You know, I greatly prefer to hear a believer say "Yes, evolution is a fact, and it is my belief that God set it in motion" than to hear them completely deny the validity of science and evolution.

I can at least respect them for the former, whereas I cannot for the latter.
Well when dinosaur prints, and human prints are now being discovered around the earth in fossilized stone and together, I have a problem with evolution.

http://www.omniology.com/delknewmandino.htm

Investigating the "Delk track"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality