Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2009, 11:04 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,049,845 times

Advertisements

kdbrich, evolution is on display in nature, animals adapt, we have records of it in very recent times. You and others that try to 'debunk' evolution just show the rest of the world what inane fanatic christians sound like.

I like that, it helps the rest of the world realize what a fantasy it all is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 11:07 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,708,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Proverbs 12:16
Oh, whoops, too bad for you that I don't follow that book of fairy tales. Unlike some, I don't profess to be a follower of Jesus and thus I am not a hypocrite when I deliberately fail to emulate him. I also don't give half a fig for any biblical verses you think you can aim at me. Laughable really.

Quote:
You on the other hand are compelled to pick on someone "solely" because he believes in something that you despise. My pointing it out was compelling coz kettle-teapot situations freak me out. Anyone lecturing on grammar must be a connoisseur of the art. Else, shut up and refrain from the personal insult on grammar. But I haven't given up hope that you will still be a nice person, despite your tirades
Ah, you're wrong again (as usual). I don't pick on anyone for what they believe. I single out people who try to force me to bend to the will of their god, their religion, or whatever personal brand of dogma they happen to be peddling. I single out those who would insert their religion into government or public schools; there is a time and place for everything and religion belongs in neither of those places. I single out people who tell me that because I don't believe in their god that I live a useless empty life. I single out people who tell me that their god will condemn me and burn me in hell forever. I single out people who tell me that I should just kill myself because as an atheist I am worthless. I also single out those who deny basic scientific facts such as evolution.

I also point it out when someone is being hypocritical. Of course, this makes the hypocrite rail against me and impotently attempt to rankle me, which I do find quite amusing. It simply reinforces my low opinion of them.

Then again, I could name several Christians on these boards that I admire for their calm, gentle and loving Christ-like manner to all that post here. You should really try to be more like them and like your Jesus. Or, you could keep on posting your drivel and continue to amuse me. It's your choice.

Old 08-09-2009, 11:07 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,648,137 times
I suppose bacteria becoming resistant to antibiotics wouldn't be evolution either.

Old 08-09-2009, 11:09 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,088,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
I suppose bacteria becoming resistant to antibiotics wouldn't be evolution either.

No...that would be natural selection. The bacteria are losing the ability to react to the antibiotic. They're actually devolving.

Old 08-09-2009, 11:14 PM

33,623 posts, read 37,274,218 times
Creation huh?

According to your bible..

Noah's flood occurred 4,313 years ago + or - 11 years

A human generation is approximately 30 years, so that is 143 generations since Noah

Today's world population is 6.78 billion...Explain how this is possible.

Today there are more than 6,700 different known languages world wide...Explain why that would be so, considering according to your bible everybody descended from Noah's family.

Old 08-09-2009, 11:16 PM

33,623 posts, read 37,274,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
No...that would be natural selection. The bacteria are losing the ability to react to the antibiotic. They're actually devolving.
Come on....You just pulled that out of your butt. I want proof of that one

Old 08-09-2009, 11:19 PM

5,420 posts, read 6,521,179 times
Quote:

If you believing in devolution, then I think you necessarily believe in evolution.

But at any rate, I disagree, or at least I don't understand your point. Why do you say that a baceria is not evolving in that circumstance?

Old 08-09-2009, 11:35 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,088,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
If you believing in devolution, then I think you necessarily believe in evolution.

But at any rate, I disagree, or at least I don't understand your point. Why do you say that a baceria is not evolving in that circumstance?

I do not believe that the bacteria is gaining any new abilities or traits in this case. They are not evolving.

I'm sorry...but the OP's statement that "All evidence points to evolution"...just isn't true. There is plenty of reason to doubt the theory...if you're willing to look at it.

Old 08-09-2009, 11:37 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,648,137 times
Quote:
I do not believe that the bacteria is gaining any new abilities or traits in this case. They are not evolving.
An organism's newly developed resistance to a substance that was designed to kill that organism isn't a new ability or trait? Interesting.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:54 AM

9,496 posts, read 12,951,962 times
Cool A few select comments, if I may...

Wow! I go away from my little effort to stir the pot a bit with some heart-felt controversy, and all heck breaks loose! The dependables are here, plus some new faces. Let's look at 'em in order!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
Evolution is utter nonsense, which is backed by the science of ignoring God.

* Why thank you!

Knowledge is useless without common sense. Common sense tells me that it is utterly, utterly impossible for something to evoluve from nothing, thats absolute garbage!

* Why thank you! Nothing to do with evolution, of course, but an interesting point.

I don't care what science has cooked up, nothing can prove that matter or life evolved from absolute zero.

* Why thank you! I agree. Again, nothing to do with Evolution. Evolution only = diversification, and is a fact, as I stated in my OP.

At its base, evolution is an effort to dismiss God as creator. Its almost surreal that people buy into something evolving from nothing, it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, but it proves that people are gulible to accepting nonsense, rather than accepting Gods reality. And they will dress up that nonsense with all kinds of surreal support.

* And others, who know nothing about a topic, will dispute anything!

* Isn't this instructive, folks? I think so!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
(talking about Mikiel's "pronouncements") You're obviously another one that criticizes evolution without having the faintest idea of what evolution is about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Well when dinosaur prints, and human prints are now being discovered around the earth in fossilized stone and together, I have a problem with evolution.
* Don't we all just love it when Tom/C34 talks as though his favorite things (ancient underground cities, faker stones, dino rodeos) are just popping up, all "proofy-like", all over the planet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
I will say this again, Evolution IS an attemp to explain how life started apart from God. It is absurd to claim that evolution is concerned with what happened to life after it started.

* It's so much easier when the fool makes his own bed, huh, folks? Not worth a response; it'd be like talking to a pile of cat poop in the litter box. What's that you say? I'm being insulting? Well, try this on...

And I'll tell you why the Atheist believes this, because when it comes to the truth about Life, between their ears, theres Nothing there!
Quote:
The privilege of beholding Arthur and Lancelot in action is bringing tears to my eyes
* Why thank you! We're always happy to oblige! Ohhhoooo!!!... which one do you want to be next, san?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
](reffing our knowledgeable commenter, Mikiel...) You just proven that you know absolutely nothing about evolution.
* Yes, he does that real well, doesn't he, Merc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
now i know why i've never read these creationist vs. evolution threads before.
i thought i'd give it a try but oy.
ridiculous.
do minds ever open and/or change?
it just seems like everyone likes to fight and spar and prove how much they know from whatever cherished source.
but there's never any transformation.
is there?
***Aaaannnndddd... WE HAVE A WINNER! He gets it! ***

* With the much-demonstrated cruddy quality of intellectual responses we get on technical subjects like DNA, mutations, adaptations, simple mathematics and statistics from folks like Mikiel, and kd, it's no wonder these debates go nowhere!

Call in; we'll let you know what you've won, coyoteskye!

Quote:
The life of a christer on C/D surrounded by the usual suspects, left to right, clockwise, the muslims, other religions, the agnostics and the big fat atheists

Proves the adage that men and riflemen evolved from mnkeys

All evidence now confirms evolution. Case closed. Fini.

* Why thank you, AC! I've always been proud to share my DNA map with my chimp ancestors. Of course, I don't subscribe to the arrogance-soaked concept of man having ultimate Dominion over the beasts. It's only hurt the beasts!

* Now, come to think of it, anything that Christianity has touched, unlike, say, the naturalist aboriginal religions, has been pretty much irreparably damaged.

* And still they want more. At everyone else's expense!
Quote:
At least the evidence you choose to believe, right? Would you honestly admit it if there was a lack of evidence?
* I always "admit" when there's a lack of information or conclusion in science, kd. You know that. It's you who can't accept that we don't know everything yet.

*"The preponderance of rational evidence".... oh why say it all again? Coyoteskye had it right; it's pointless. Besides, why argue when evolution is a proven fact? Like I said in the beginning!

Quote:
No....I really don't think it is.

I see some things that could be taken as "evidence"...but there are all kinds of problems with the theory, as well. Lack of fossil evidence, for one.

* Hee hee. There it is! A Purely nonsense pseudo-factoid, provided free for all to see, as if it were actually the truth of the matter! Thank you, kd! Again!

*Ohhh... but wait; there's even more! To wit:

The idea that in order for a mutation to enter a gene pool that all future members of the species would need to descend from the mutated one is another.
* Hee hee. Thank you, kd! You're so reliable! You just don't get Evolution's tricky little technical facts, do you?

Quote:
* Hee hee harr harrr.... milk comes snorting outa my nostrils! That's Phuu--kneee!. The deflective answer that "It's not evolution, it's natural selection!"

Just like saying "It's not a hamburger, it's a Big Mac It is, it is, IT IS!!!"

(BTW, technically, you are right; an organism no longer "reacting" to the chemical structure of an antibiotic because it restructures it's own outer biochemical structures through chance mutation is, exactly, "Evolution".

* Sheesh! Our high schools need to do a lot better job of edu-mah-khayttin' our kiddies in the sciences and logic, no?

Well, one final time, but with true sincerity....

Thank you, kd! Oh, and you too, Mikiel. You've both pretty much made my point!

Evolution's a fact!

G'night Mr & Mrs America and All The Ships At Sea! You too, san, galant old knight of the truth! Don't worry; they'll be tipping at our windmills all night long!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality